HP Laserjet 1012 print positioning

Wouter

      28th Jun 2005
My HP Laserjet 1012 isn't measuring it's printing positions very precisely.
The entire page is printed about 2 mm too high.
My default paper size is A4.
I'm using a template in Word that prints a letter, which I fold down to 9.9
cm (exactly 1/3rd of an A4-size paper) to fit in a DL-size envelope. To make
folding easier and precise, I print a small horizontal line at 9.9 cm from
the top and 19.5 cm from the left of the page.
My Laserjet 1012 puts this horizontal line at 9.7 cm from the top of the
page.
No big deal, you would say, but I also do a lot of printing from Publisher
on landscape oriented pages, divided into 3 columns. The output is 2 mm too
far to the right, which means there is a bigger left margin and a smaller
right margin. I want the margins to be exactly the same.

Is there a way to correct this?

Wouter.

GP

      28th Jun 2005
Wouter wrote:
> My HP Laserjet 1012 isn't measuring it's printing positions very precisely.
> The entire page is printed about 2 mm too high.

I confirm the problem with the letter format. I didn't measure, but your
figure seems exact. Which means the top margin is about 2 mm too narrow...
and the bottom margin 2 mm too wide. So it's a 4 mm difference(1), and it
shows.

(1) An inch being about 25mm, this is almost a sixth of an inch difference.

> Is there a way to correct this?

Yes, a driver that works! But man, this is a cheap printer. Can you expect
it to have a driver that works? It prints on the sheet of paper, shouldn't
you be satisfied? I, for one, have pretty much given up trying to find
solutions to how HP ****s up its printers.

But, if you can configure Word to not set any margin by default and you
define two printers, say hp_p and hp_l, respectively for portrait and
landscape, and define ajusted default margins for each printer, it /might/
work.

But I'm not sure it's possible to ask Word to ignore margin settings. At
first glance, it doesn't seem possible with OpenOffice 1.1. But, who
knows, maybe HP has a deal with Microsoft on this matter... Maybe the
latest version of Word could do it...

Have fun with your HP printer! Who knows, Mr Headrick might have a whole
/try this and try that/ routine to add to mine.

GP