HP #98 cartridge reset?

Inkjet

      21st May 2006
I recently refilled the HP #98 (C9364W) black ink cartridge for my
HP-2575 printer. This was the first time it's been refilled. It prints
fine now but the on-screen ink level estimator graphic no longer works
for the black ink. I did some research and found this to be a common
problem with many HP cartridges. I was able to find solutions for
resetting the cartridge and/or printer for several other HP cartridge
models but not the #98. Is there a way to reset it?

Thanks

Bob Headrick

      21st May 2006

"Inkjet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I was able to find solutions for resetting the cartridge and/or
> printer for several other HP cartridge models but not the #98. Is
> there a way to reset it?

No.

- Bob Headrick

Ed Light

      21st May 2006
This will count the pages for you.

http://www.pokluda.cz/support/inkmonitor.aspx

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

measekite

      21st May 2006

Inkjet wrote:

> I recently refilled the HP #98 (C9364W) black ink cartridge for my
> HP-2575 printer. This was the first time it's been refilled. It prints
> fine now but the on-screen ink level estimator graphic no longer works
> for the black ink.

this is another example on why one should always use oem ink.

> I did some research and found this to be a common problem with many HP
> cartridges. I was able to find solutions for resetting the cartridge
> and/or printer for several other HP cartridge models but not the #98.
> Is there a way to reset it?
>
> Thanks

Bill

      21st May 2006
Inkjet wrote:

>I recently refilled the HP #98 (C9364W) black ink cartridge for my
>HP-2575 printer. This was the first time it's been refilled. It prints
>fine now but the on-screen ink level estimator graphic no longer works
>for the black ink. I did some research and found this to be a common
>problem with many HP cartridges. I was able to find solutions for
>resetting the cartridge and/or printer for several other HP cartridge
>models but not the #98. Is there a way to reset it?

Unfortunately no...HP changed the way ink levels are stored. Earlier
models like the HP 56/57/58 carts could be reset by rotating three carts
through the printer since they could only remember two at a time. You
could also use tape over the contacts to reset the levels.

The newer carts like the 95/96/97 retains the ink level inside a chip in
the cartridge and there is no known way to reset it. You just have to
ignore the low ink warnings and remember to refill before it runs dry.
It will still work fine, you just won't have proper ink level readings.

Inkjet

      21st May 2006
Bill wrote:
> Inkjet wrote:
>

>>I recently refilled the HP #98 (C9364W) black ink cartridge for my
>>HP-2575 printer. This was the first time it's been refilled. It prints
>>fine now but the on-screen ink level estimator graphic no longer works
>>for the black ink. I did some research and found this to be a common
>>problem with many HP cartridges. I was able to find solutions for
>>resetting the cartridge and/or printer for several other HP cartridge
>>models but not the #98. Is there a way to reset it?

> Unfortunately no...HP changed the way ink levels are stored. Earlier
> models like the HP 56/57/58 carts could be reset by rotating three carts
> through the printer since they could only remember two at a time. You
> could also use tape over the contacts to reset the levels.
>
> The newer carts like the 95/96/97 retains the ink level inside a chip in
> the cartridge and there is no known way to reset it. You just have to
> ignore the low ink warnings and remember to refill before it runs dry.
> It will still work fine, you just won't have proper ink level readings.

Maybe someone will come out with an HP chip resetter like the Epson
cartridges. Do the HP 90-series cartridges expire at some date and stop
working regardless of their ink level?

Bob Headrick

      22nd May 2006

> Do the HP 90-series cartridges expire at some date and stop working
> regardless of their ink level?

No. That said, it is possible that cartridges stored (or used) for a
long time may eventually fail. There is no concept of date built into
these cartridges.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

measekite

      22nd May 2006

Bill wrote:

>Inkjet wrote:
>

>>I recently refilled the HP #98 (C9364W) black ink cartridge for my
>>HP-2575 printer. This was the first time it's been refilled. It prints
>>fine now but the on-screen ink level estimator graphic no longer works
>>for the black ink. I did some research and found this to be a common
>>problem with many HP cartridges. I was able to find solutions for
>>resetting the cartridge and/or printer for several other HP cartridge
>>models but not the #98. Is there a way to reset it?
>>

>Unfortunately no...HP changed the way ink levels are stored. Earlier
>models like the HP 56/57/58 carts could be reset by rotating three carts
>through the printer since they could only remember two at a time. You
>could also use tape over the contacts to reset the levels.
>
>The newer carts like the 95/96/97 retains the ink level inside a chip in
>the cartridge and there is no known way to reset it.

that is good

> You just have to
>ignore the low ink warnings and remember to refill before it runs dry.
>It will still work fine, you just won't have proper ink level readings.

sussmanbern@hotmail.com

      14th Jun 2006
I am very cranked at my newly purchased HP printer because, unlike the
older one (no longer on the market), this one uses the HP 90-series
cartridges, which are deliberately designed to frustrate refilling.

To add insult to injury, the retail price of the genuine HP cartridge
has risen by about $9 in six months! This makes them very expensive
for me.

Apparently the cartridge can be reloaded with (non-HP) ink, but the ink
level indicator - including the low ink warning - won't work because
the microchip in the cartridges rachets downward and won't (unliker
earlier HP cartridges) reset for refilling. But I have had mixed
results with attempts to refill; sometimes the refilled cart simply
won't print even if it's soaked in ink - I suspect (but some other had
denied) that the microchip in the cartridge not only rachets downward
but when it says the cartridge is empty the printer either something
inside the cartridge shuts off the flow or the printer won't even try
to suck the ink out of the cartridge.

I recently had a tech problem (unrelated to ink cartridges) with my HP
printer and e-mailed the HP service .... and got conflicting and,
worse, utterly unhelpful responses. Well, at least they responded.

I recently sent off for a half-dozen "refurbished" cartridges,
something I haven't done before. I don't know if, or how well, they'll
work. If they don't satisfy, I might make a point of getting a
different brand of printer - one more congenial to ink refills (people
have recommended Canon for that purpose).

Bob Headrick

      14th Jun 2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am very cranked at my newly purchased HP printer because, unlike the
> older one (no longer on the market), this one uses the HP 90-series
> cartridges, which are deliberately designed to frustrate refilling.

Not true.

> Apparently the cartridge can be reloaded with (non-HP) ink, but the
> ink
> level indicator - including the low ink warning - won't work because
> the microchip in the cartridges rachets downward and won't (unliker
> earlier HP cartridges) reset for refilling.

True.

> But I have had mixed results with attempts to refill; sometimes
> the refilled cart simply won't print even if it's soaked in
> ink - I suspect (but some other had denied) that the microchip
> in the cartridge not only rachets downward but when it says
> the cartridge is empty the printer either something inside
> the cartridge shuts off the flow or the printer won't even try
> to suck the ink out of the cartridge.

Not true.

> I recently sent off for a half-dozen "refurbished" cartridges,
> something I haven't done before. I don't know if, or how well,
> they'll
> work. If they don't satisfy, I might make a point of getting a
> different brand of printer - one more congenial to ink refills (people
> have recommended Canon for that purpose).

I do not know how well they will work, but it is likely that they will
show up as empty on the low-on-ink gauge. There is no reset.