Howto setup a Internet cafe network???

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF0bWVuYWNl?=

      21st Jun 2005
I am planning on setting up a internet cafe with about 8-10 computers, but am
not sure as to what equipment is required, ie, networking equipment, how
would i connect the computers together, eg (router/ switch), i know i would
have to install a broadband connection from an ISP, but then what?

I have the computers, what else do i require, does anyone have any step - by
step instructions to follow in connecting them up - how, using a switch or
router to connect all the computers to the ISP broadband connection and
anything else i may have missed. I would prefer to go with the Standard LAN
network with a router/switch and NICS in each computer with cat5 cables
connected.

With a server, what would i require to set this up, ie, which OS
(win98/2k/xp), can any of these OS's be used to act as a server for this
setup? What other setup config details would be required to setup a server,
ie, Domain controller in win2k environment...etc? Would i have to go into
detail setup like setting up Active Directory Service on the server?

I do not have much experience in setting up Win2k servers/active directory....
Which OS would you recommend using on the client PC's?

Do ip addresses have to be assigned???

--
Dennis

Robert L [MS-MVP]

      21st Jun 2005
from our experience, setup a wireless network for a café is more flexible. You may need a wireless router plus wireless adapter for each computer.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

"datmenace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Sooner Al [MVP]

      21st Jun 2005
If your interested in a wireless solution this may be of interest...

http://www.publicip.net/

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Robert L [MS-MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Interrogative

      22nd Jun 2005

I might add that I am going to be doing similar for a group of hotels and
there is an excellent D-Link product that allows you to set times allowed
for wireless, issues receipts, auto disconnects when time is up etc.
Brilliant looking gear on paper but I haven't yet had my hands on it.

I am in no way connected with D-Link so this isn't a commercial advert. I
just thought their two products working together gave the end user the
ability to do all without calling me back all the time to set things up once
it is in place. That is why I like it. I would prefer the extra money but a
happy customer makes me more over a longer period!

"Sooner Al [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uX93%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your interested in a wireless solution this may be of interest...
>
> http://www.publicip.net/
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Robert L [MS-MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> from our experience, setup a wireless network for a café is more flexible.
> You may need a wireless router plus wireless adapter for each computer.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
>
> "datmenace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am planning on setting up a internet cafe with about 8-10 computers,
> but am
> not sure as to what equipment is required, ie, networking equipment, how
> would i connect the computers together, eg (router/ switch), i know i
> would
> have to install a broadband connection from an ISP, but then what?
>
> I have the computers, what else do i require, does anyone have any step -
> by
> step instructions to follow in connecting them up - how, using a switch
> or
> router to connect all the computers to the ISP broadband connection and
> anything else i may have missed. I would prefer to go with the Standard
> LAN
> network with a router/switch and NICS in each computer with cat5 cables
> connected.
>
> With a server, what would i require to set this up, ie, which OS
> (win98/2k/xp), can any of these OS's be used to act as a server for this
> setup? What other setup config details would be required to setup a
> server,
> ie, Domain controller in win2k environment...etc? Would i have to go into
> detail setup like setting up Active Directory Service on the server?
>
> I do not have much experience in setting up Win2k servers/active
> directory....
> Which OS would you recommend using on the client PC's?
>
> Do ip addresses have to be assigned???
>
> --
> Dennis

=?Utf-8?B?aHVycmljbmUxNg==?=

      1st Jul 2005
I would look into Internet cafe software. One of my friends started one up
and it ran from a basic server. Each computer connected to that server and
you can restrict access, create timed passwords, shutdown all computers.
etc.. It designed for that type of situation. I would look up that type of
software. I dont remember what his was called but im sure you'll run into it.