how hot is too hot for mobo temp

George Orwell

      9th Jan 2004
I have a PC in a micro case that serves as a tvio (running mythtv http://www.mythtv.org). Anyway, it's a small case and it's inside my entertainment center. I checked the mobo/cpu temp and in there it gets a bit hot:

case temp: 36C
CPU temp: 35C

CPU is a 1900+ and the board is an ASUS A7N8X-VM. There's not a whole lot I can do to cool the case down due to its size. I has a 60 mm case fan, and the PSU has 2 fans. What do you all think about those operating temps?

Nanga Parbat

      9th Jan 2004
George Orwell wrote:

> I have a PC in a micro case that serves as a tvio (running mythtv http://www.mythtv.org).
> Anyway, it's a small case and it's inside my entertainment center. I checked
> the mobo/cpu temp and in there it gets a bit hot:
>
> case temp: 36C
> CPU temp: 35C
>
> CPU is a 1900+ and the board is an ASUS A7N8X-VM. There's not a whole
> lot I can do to cool the case down due to its size. I has a 60 mm case fan,
> and the PSU has 2 fans. What do you all think about those operating temps?

If by case temp you mean the mobo sensor it's not exceptionally high.
When I run Prime95 to test my overclocked system, my mobo reaches 36C
too. That's in a Lian-Li PC60 with 4 case fans and another 2 in the
PSU.

Try running Prime95 Torture Test for a couple hours. If it doesn't
report errors you shouldn't worry about it.

Nanga

DaveW

      10th Jan 2004
Anything under 40 C while operating is fine.

--
DaveW

"George Orwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a PC in a micro case that serves as a tvio (running mythtv

http://www.mythtv.org). Anyway, it's a small case and it's inside my
entertainment center. I checked the mobo/cpu temp and in there it gets a
bit hot:

> case temp: 36C
> CPU temp: 35C
>
> CPU is a 1900+ and the board is an ASUS A7N8X-VM. There's not a whole lot

I can do to cool the case down due to its size. I has a 60 mm case fan, and
the PSU has 2 fans. What do you all think about those operating temps?

Mike Gorman

      10th Jan 2004
As the others stated, those temp are good. You might consider running
something like MBM that allows you to set an alarm if your temps exceed a
certain temp. You might be able to set this within your systems BIOS as
well.

That way the system will give off an audilble if things get too steamy.
Particularly useful in Multimedia systems sitting in cabinetry and
especially good for monitoring temps durring summer.

"George Orwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a PC in a micro case that serves as a tvio (running mythtv

http://www.mythtv.org). Anyway, it's a small case and it's inside my
entertainment center. I checked the mobo/cpu temp and in there it gets a
bit hot:

> case temp: 36C
> CPU temp: 35C
>
> CPU is a 1900+ and the board is an ASUS A7N8X-VM. There's not a whole lot

I can do to cool the case down due to its size. I has a 60 mm case fan, and
the PSU has 2 fans. What do you all think about those operating temps?

Lindy

      10th Jan 2004
I have a 2500XP running at 52C is this too hot? Thank you.

andrew2000

      10th Jan 2004
Those temps should be fine, just open it now and then to blow out any dust.

"George Orwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a PC in a micro case that serves as a tvio (running mythtv

http://www.mythtv.org). Anyway, it's a small case and it's inside my
entertainment center. I checked the mobo/cpu temp and in there it gets a
bit hot:

> case temp: 36C
> CPU temp: 35C
>
> CPU is a 1900+ and the board is an ASUS A7N8X-VM. There's not a whole lot

I can do to cool the case down due to its size. I has a 60 mm case fan, and
the PSU has 2 fans. What do you all think about those operating temps?

andrew2000

      10th Jan 2004
that is pushing the limit, I would consider investing in a better heat
sink/fan, and maybe even another case fan.

"Lindy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btnmg1$9ejff$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I have a 2500XP running at 52C is this too hot? Thank you.

Minotaur

      10th Jan 2004
andrew2000 wrote:

> that is pushing the limit, I would consider investing in a better heat
> sink/fan, and maybe even another case fan.
>
> "Lindy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:btnmg1$9ejff$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>
>>I have a 2500XP running at 52C is this too hot? Thank you.

Well the recommended limit is actualy 85C according to AMD.

It really depends on the Ambient temp, 52C would be VERY GOOD
if I was running Prime95 or Seti, in summer time when it hits
30C+.

Funny how Ambient temps failed to get mentioned when people ask if there
temps are too high. EEEEEEEEEK *8D

Peter R. Fletcher

      10th Jan 2004
52 C is fine for CPU temperature, but way high for MoBo temperature,
which is what the OP was asking about - it's not clear which
temperature andrew was reporting.