Homepage keeps changing after reboot

Armando

      4th Nov 2003
I'm running Internet Explorer and everytime I reboot my
computer the homepage gets changed to Searchdot.com. I've
ran Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy along with
attempting to go file by file in an attempt to delete
whatever was causing this. I'm running ME as my OS, any
ideas on what I can do to fix this so my homepage doesnt
keep changing?

Armando

mac

      4th Nov 2003

"Armando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:137b01c3a26b$750e07c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running Internet Explorer and everytime I reboot my
> computer the homepage gets changed to Searchdot.com. I've
> ran Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy along with
> attempting to go file by file in an attempt to delete
> whatever was causing this. I'm running ME as my OS, any
> ideas on what I can do to fix this so my homepage doesnt
> keep changing?
>
> Armando

"Some ISP's provide a customised version of IE. Some Web pages will also
reset your home page and do this. One of the customisations they might make
is to disable the ability to change the home page, so that you are forced to
use their home page. You can re-enable this by making a small change in the
Windows registry.

In Regedit, navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control
Panel

In the right-hand pane, right-click the "HomePage" value, then select
Modify. Change it to: 00 00 00 00

Also change either or these to zero 0 instead of 1 if present:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explo
rer] - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Restrictions] - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

If you don't have this key, browse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

and in the right hand pane, double click "Local Page" and set equal to
"C:\WINDOWS\System\blank.htm" (no quotes) which will hopefully set your Home
Page to blank and then allow you to subsequently modify it using Internet
Options.

Exit regedit and reboot.

When you reboot, you should be able to change the home page again.

Some pages will also download a program which keeps changing it back. Go to
Start | Run and type:
msconfig
and press <Enter> or click OK. Go to the Startup tab.
See if you can identify any suspicious programs. If you can, uncheck it, If
you can't, change the home page to what you want and then uncheck one and
then reboot. Try IE. If the Web page changed, change it back and then try
msconfig again, rechecking the last one and unchecking the next. Keep doing
this until you find the culprit.

all4u2day98@hotmail.com

      4th Nov 2003
did you ever get an answer to your problem, seems like i
have the same thing? Bob

Mike Burgess

      4th Nov 2003
Armando,
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 11-04-03]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

"Armando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:137b01c3a26b$750e07c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running Internet Explorer and everytime I reboot my
> computer the homepage gets changed to Searchdot.com. I've
> ran Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy along with
> attempting to go file by file in an attempt to delete
> whatever was causing this. I'm running ME as my OS, any
> ideas on what I can do to fix this so my homepage doesnt
> keep changing?
>
> Armando

Mike Burgess

      4th Nov 2003
Bob,
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 11-04-03]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid

message news:098501c3a26e$64f66f00$(E-Mail Removed)...