Highlighting Part of a Slide

Andrea

      16th Feb 2006
I recently saw a PowerPoint presentation in which the presenter showed a
slide, then with a mouse click highlighted part of it. I can't figure out
how to do this. Could anyone tell me how? I'm using Office 2003 on Windows
XP Pro, SP2. Thank you.

Geetesh Bajaj

      16th Feb 2006
That part of the slide (or just a graphic within the slide) probably had a
zoom animation set to happen on mouse click.

Do get back if you need more details on accomplishing this - and which
version of PowerPoint are you using? Something like this works best with
PowerPoint 2002 and above.

--
Geetesh Bajaj
Author of Cutting Edge PowerPoint for Dummies

"Andrea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently saw a PowerPoint presentation in which the presenter showed a
>slide, then with a mouse click highlighted part of it. I can't figure out
>how to do this. Could anyone tell me how? I'm using Office 2003 on Windows
>XP Pro, SP2. Thank you.

john wilson

      16th Feb 2006
Not sure if this is what you mean but it is cool!

Set the background to a picture fill.

Now place a shape eg oval or rectangle on the slide.Make the fill
"background" and the line to "none."

Now set a custom animation for the shape EMPHASIS > GROW(150%) and set a
trigger on the shape to start the animation.

Run the show and click where the shape is (it will be invisible)

Andrea

      16th Feb 2006
Geetesh Bajaj wrote:
> That part of the slide (or just a graphic within the slide) probably had a
> zoom animation set to happen on mouse click.
>
> Do get back if you need more details on accomplishing this - and which
> version of PowerPoint are you using? Something like this works best with
> PowerPoint 2002 and above.

I'm using Powerpoint 2003 (in Office 2003). I don't understand what a zoom
animation is. I've looked at all of the possible animations that activate
with a mouse click. As far as I can tell, I can change the color of the
font, which is helpful, but I can't find a way to highlight parts of the
text for the presentation, e.g., after all the bullets have been animated
onto the slide, set another animation to highlight a block of bullets in
yellow.

> "Andrea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I recently saw a PowerPoint presentation in which the presenter showed a
>> slide, then with a mouse click highlighted part of it. I can't figure out
>> how to do this. Could anyone tell me how? I'm using Office 2003 on
>> Windows XP Pro, SP2. Thank you.

john wilson

      16th Feb 2006
Hi Andrea

If you email me (codepeople AT aol DOT com) I'll send you a nice demo of a
zoom animation

John

Andrea

      17th Feb 2006
Will do. Thanks.

john wilson wrote:
> Hi Andrea
>
> If you email me (codepeople AT aol DOT com) I'll send you a nice demo of a
> zoom animation
>
> John

Geetesh Bajaj

      17th Feb 2006
Hi Andrea,

Follow these steps:

1. Select the object you want to zoom.

2. Choose Slide Show | Custom Animation to activate the Custom Animation
task pane.

3. Choose Add Effect | Emphasis | Grow/Shrink - if the Grow/Shrink option is
not available, choose Add Effect | Emphasis | More Effects | Basic |
Grow/Shrink.

To finetune the Grow/Shrink effect, select the animation from the listing on
the task pane, and click the downward pointing arrow next to the listing to
reveal a fly-out menu. Choose Effect Options to summon a dialog box that
lets you play with the settings.

--
Geetesh Bajaj
Author of Cutting Edge PowerPoint for Dummies
http://www.cuttingedgeppt.com

"Andrea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geetesh Bajaj wrote:
>> That part of the slide (or just a graphic within the slide) probably had
>> zoom animation set to happen on mouse click.
>>
>> Do get back if you need more details on accomplishing this - and which
>> version of PowerPoint are you using? Something like this works best with
>> PowerPoint 2002 and above.
>>

> I'm using Powerpoint 2003 (in Office 2003). I don't understand what a zoom
> animation is. I've looked at all of the possible animations that activate
> with a mouse click. As far as I can tell, I can change the color of the
> font, which is helpful, but I can't find a way to highlight parts of the
> text for the presentation, e.g., after all the bullets have been animated
> onto the slide, set another animation to highlight a block of bullets in
> yellow.
>>

>> "Andrea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I recently saw a PowerPoint presentation in which the presenter showed a
>>> slide, then with a mouse click highlighted part of it. I can't figure
>>> out
>>> how to do this. Could anyone tell me how? I'm using Office 2003 on
>>> Windows XP Pro, SP2. Thank you.

Andrea

      17th Feb 2006
Thanks. That's a nice effect, but it's not what I was trying to do. I wanted
to highlight the text in a different color (not change the font color, which
is what I ended up doing because I couldn't figure out a way to highlight
it.)

Geetesh Bajaj wrote:
> Hi Andrea,
>
> Follow these steps:
>
> 1. Select the object you want to zoom.
>
> 2. Choose Slide Show | Custom Animation to activate the Custom Animation
> task pane.
>
> 3. Choose Add Effect | Emphasis | Grow/Shrink - if the Grow/Shrink option
> is not available, choose Add Effect | Emphasis | More Effects | Basic |
> Grow/Shrink.
>
> To finetune the Grow/Shrink effect, select the animation from the listing
> on the task pane, and click the downward pointing arrow next to the
> listing to reveal a fly-out menu. Choose Effect Options to summon a
> dialog box that lets you play with the settings.
>

> "Andrea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Geetesh Bajaj wrote:
>>> That part of the slide (or just a graphic within the slide) probably had
>>> zoom animation set to happen on mouse click.
>>>
>>> Do get back if you need more details on accomplishing this - and which
>>> version of PowerPoint are you using? Something like this works best with
>>> PowerPoint 2002 and above.
>>>

>> I'm using Powerpoint 2003 (in Office 2003). I don't understand what a
>> zoom animation is. I've looked at all of the possible animations that
>> activate with a mouse click. As far as I can tell, I can change the
>> color of the font, which is helpful, but I can't find a way to highlight
>> parts of the text for the presentation, e.g., after all the bullets have
>> been animated onto the slide, set another animation to highlight a block
>> of bullets in yellow.
>>>

>>> "Andrea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Geetesh Bajaj

      20th Feb 2006
OK - that's easy too.

1. Select the text you want to highlight in a different color - right-click
the text and choose Slide Show / Custom Animation to activate the Custom
Animation task pane.

2. In the task pane, choose Add Effect / Entrance / Fade (or any other
entrance effect).

3. Select the animation from the listing on the task pane, and click the
downward pointing arrow next to the listing to reveal a fly-out menu. Choose
Effect Options to summon a dialog box. In the Enhancements section, click
the After Animation drop down menu, and choose to change the color of the
text after animation to any of the 8 color scheme color swatches in the
menu. If you want any other color, click the More Colors option and choose
the color.

--
Geetesh Bajaj
Author of Cutting Edge PowerPoint for Dummies
http://www.cuttingedgeppt.com

"Andrea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e0Af$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. That's a nice effect, but it's not what I was trying to do. I
> wanted to highlight the text in a different color (not change the font
> color, which is what I ended up doing because I couldn't figure out a way
> to highlight it.)
>
> Geetesh Bajaj wrote:
>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> Follow these steps:
>>
>> 1. Select the object you want to zoom.
>>
>> 2. Choose Slide Show | Custom Animation to activate the Custom Animation
>> task pane.
>>
>> 3. Choose Add Effect | Emphasis | Grow/Shrink - if the Grow/Shrink option
>> is not available, choose Add Effect | Emphasis | More Effects | Basic |
>> Grow/Shrink.
>>
>> To finetune the Grow/Shrink effect, select the animation from the listing
>> on the task pane, and click the downward pointing arrow next to the
>> listing to reveal a fly-out menu. Choose Effect Options to summon a
>> dialog box that lets you play with the settings.
>>

>> "Andrea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I'm using Powerpoint 2003 (in Office 2003). I don't understand what a
>>> zoom animation is. I've looked at all of the possible animations that
>>> activate with a mouse click. As far as I can tell, I can change the
>>> color of the font, which is helpful, but I can't find a way to highlight
>>> parts of the text for the presentation, e.g., after all the bullets have
>>> been animated onto the slide, set another animation to highlight a block
>>> of bullets in yellow.

Andrea

      20th Feb 2006
Thank you, but I just tried that--and it only changes the text color rather
than highlighting it, at least from my end. This is a simpler way of
changing the text color than I had used (a trigger with a mouse click), but
it still doesn't highlight the text. I was told in private e-mail how to do
this, but I'm always open to other ways, if there are any.

Andrea