Hidden Outlook reminders

Lindsay Graham

      23rd Feb 2010
My wife has Outlook 2003 under Windows XP. When she had Outlook 2000
(or 2002, I'm not sure), each reminder arrived in its own pop-up window,
but in Outlook 2003, they appear only in the taskbar (and therefore tend
not to get noticed) and several reminders are grouped together. I've
read all the recent threads on this topic, and share the frustration of
those who just cannot understand why MS would remove the option to have
pop-up reminders.

In several threads, jmaxon wrote:
"This is annoying me as well. It appears to be an issue with Windows 7
(Win7), not Outlook. By default, Win7 combines the taskbar buttons. By
doing so the Reminder gets embedded into the "grouping" behind the
Outlook icon. This makes the reminder difficult to notice.

"If you change the "Taskbar buttons" setting under the "Taskbar and
Start Menu Properties" to "Never combine," then the grouping separates
and the reminder pops-up in front of whatever else you have open.

"I'm hoping that Microsoft comes up with a fix for this, as I'm sure
more and more people are going to become annoyed."

Is there a similar solution in Outlook 2003/Win XP?

Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia

Lindsay Graham

      25th Feb 2010
On 23 Feb 2010 at 12:30, Lindsay Graham wrote:
> My wife has Outlook 2003 under Windows XP. When she had Outlook 2000
> (or 2002, I'm not sure), each reminder arrived in its own pop-up window,
> but in Outlook 2003, they appear only in the taskbar (and therefore tend
> not to get noticed) and several reminders are grouped together. I've
> read all the recent threads on this topic, and share the frustration of
> those who just cannot understand why MS would remove the option to have
> pop-up reminders.
>
> In several threads, jmaxon wrote:
> "This is annoying me as well. It appears to be an issue with Windows 7
> (Win7), not Outlook. By default, Win7 combines the taskbar buttons. By
> doing so the Reminder gets embedded into the "grouping" behind the
> Outlook icon. This makes the reminder difficult to notice.
>
> "If you change the "Taskbar buttons" setting under the "Taskbar and
> Start Menu Properties" to "Never combine," then the grouping separates
> and the reminder pops-up in front of whatever else you have open.
>
> "I'm hoping that Microsoft comes up with a fix for this, as I'm sure
> more and more people are going to become annoyed."
>
> Is there a similar solution in Outlook 2003/Win XP?
>
> Lindsay Graham
> Canberra, Australia

I've had no replies to this post, but I have done quite a bit of
research, which unfortunately seems to indicate that there is no
workaround for this Outlook deficiency. I've seen a *lot* of people
complaining about Microsoft's decision to change from pop-up to taskbar.

Has anyone here heard of a workaround? -- I guess I thought the change
had been so unpopular that someone would have found a way to bring back
the pop-up option.

In the absence of a workaround, what is the best way to get the message
through to Microsoft in the hope that they will do something about it?

Here's hoping.

Lindsay

barry

      21st Apr 2010
Does anyone from Microsoft read these issues? What is the workaround for
this? Will this issue be fixed?

I'm tired of missing meetings/conf calls because the reminders are not
working. I guess they are "working" but are hidden behind windows... thus
I'm not reminded.

This is VERY poor design.

"Lindsay Graham" wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2010 at 12:30, Lindsay Graham wrote:
> > My wife has Outlook 2003 under Windows XP. When she had Outlook 2000
> > (or 2002, I'm not sure), each reminder arrived in its own pop-up window,
> > but in Outlook 2003, they appear only in the taskbar (and therefore tend
> > not to get noticed) and several reminders are grouped together. I've
> > read all the recent threads on this topic, and share the frustration of
> > those who just cannot understand why MS would remove the option to have
> > pop-up reminders.
> >
> > In several threads, jmaxon wrote:
> > "This is annoying me as well. It appears to be an issue with Windows 7
> > (Win7), not Outlook. By default, Win7 combines the taskbar buttons. By
> > doing so the Reminder gets embedded into the "grouping" behind the
> > Outlook icon. This makes the reminder difficult to notice.
> >
> > "If you change the "Taskbar buttons" setting under the "Taskbar and
> > Start Menu Properties" to "Never combine," then the grouping separates
> > and the reminder pops-up in front of whatever else you have open.
> >
> > "I'm hoping that Microsoft comes up with a fix for this, as I'm sure
> > more and more people are going to become annoyed."
> >
> > Is there a similar solution in Outlook 2003/Win XP?
> >
> > Lindsay Graham
> > Canberra, Australia

> I've had no replies to this post, but I have done quite a bit of
> research, which unfortunately seems to indicate that there is no
> workaround for this Outlook deficiency. I've seen a *lot* of people
> complaining about Microsoft's decision to change from pop-up to taskbar.
>
> Has anyone here heard of a workaround? -- I guess I thought the change
> had been so unpopular that someone would have found a way to bring back
> the pop-up option.
>
> In the absence of a workaround, what is the best way to get the message
> through to Microsoft in the hope that they will do something about it?
>
> Here's hoping.
>
> Lindsay
> .

Bob I

      21st Apr 2010
Answer to the first question is no, this is a public newsgroup populated
by users helping users. If you want to find out directly what Microsoft
has to say you will need to contact their tech support.

barry wrote:

> Does anyone from Microsoft read these issues? What is the workaround for
> this? Will this issue be fixed?
>
> I'm tired of missing meetings/conf calls because the reminders are not
> working. I guess they are "working" but are hidden behind windows... thus
> I'm not reminded.
>
> This is VERY poor design.
>

> "Lindsay Graham" wrote:
>

>>On 23 Feb 2010 at 12:30, Lindsay Graham wrote:
>>
>>>My wife has Outlook 2003 under Windows XP. When she had Outlook 2000
>>>(or 2002, I'm not sure), each reminder arrived in its own pop-up window,
>>>but in Outlook 2003, they appear only in the taskbar (and therefore tend
>>>not to get noticed) and several reminders are grouped together. I've
>>>read all the recent threads on this topic, and share the frustration of
>>>those who just cannot understand why MS would remove the option to have
>>>pop-up reminders.
>>>
>>>In several threads, jmaxon wrote:
>>>"This is annoying me as well. It appears to be an issue with Windows 7
>>>(Win7), not Outlook. By default, Win7 combines the taskbar buttons. By
>>>doing so the Reminder gets embedded into the "grouping" behind the
>>>Outlook icon. This makes the reminder difficult to notice.
>>>
>>>"If you change the "Taskbar buttons" setting under the "Taskbar and
>>>Start Menu Properties" to "Never combine," then the grouping separates
>>>and the reminder pops-up in front of whatever else you have open.
>>>
>>>"I'm hoping that Microsoft comes up with a fix for this, as I'm sure
>>>more and more people are going to become annoyed."
>>>
>>>Is there a similar solution in Outlook 2003/Win XP?
>>>
>>>Lindsay Graham
>>>Canberra, Australia

>>I've had no replies to this post, but I have done quite a bit of
>>research, which unfortunately seems to indicate that there is no
>>workaround for this Outlook deficiency. I've seen a *lot* of people
>>complaining about Microsoft's decision to change from pop-up to taskbar.
>>
>>Has anyone here heard of a workaround? -- I guess I thought the change
>>had been so unpopular that someone would have found a way to bring back
>>the pop-up option.
>>
>>In the absence of a workaround, what is the best way to get the message
>>through to Microsoft in the hope that they will do something about it?
>>
>>Here's hoping.
>>
>>Lindsay
>>.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      21st Apr 2010
In Outlook 2003 and later the reminders are in a single window. The reminder
window comes up on the screen but doesn't always take focus if you are busy
in another program - most users find it annoying when the reminder comes up
as they are typing.

If you want the reminder window to come up on the screen, you need to have
the reminder window in the background, not minimized. When its minimized, it
will only flash on the task bar.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?

"barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone from Microsoft read these issues? What is the workaround for
> this? Will this issue be fixed?
>
> I'm tired of missing meetings/conf calls because the reminders are not
> working. I guess they are "working" but are hidden behind windows... thus
> I'm not reminded.
>
> This is VERY poor design.
>

> "Lindsay Graham" wrote:
>
>> On 23 Feb 2010 at 12:30, Lindsay Graham wrote:
>> > My wife has Outlook 2003 under Windows XP. When she had Outlook 2000
>> > (or 2002, I'm not sure), each reminder arrived in its own pop-up
>> > window,
>> > but in Outlook 2003, they appear only in the taskbar (and therefore
>> > tend
>> > not to get noticed) and several reminders are grouped together. I've
>> > read all the recent threads on this topic, and share the frustration of
>> > those who just cannot understand why MS would remove the option to have
>> > pop-up reminders.
>> >
>> > In several threads, jmaxon wrote:
>> > "This is annoying me as well. It appears to be an issue with Windows 7
>> > (Win7), not Outlook. By default, Win7 combines the taskbar buttons. By
>> > doing so the Reminder gets embedded into the "grouping" behind the
>> > Outlook icon. This makes the reminder difficult to notice.
>> >
>> > "If you change the "Taskbar buttons" setting under the "Taskbar and
>> > Start Menu Properties" to "Never combine," then the grouping separates
>> > and the reminder pops-up in front of whatever else you have open.
>> >
>> > "I'm hoping that Microsoft comes up with a fix for this, as I'm sure
>> > more and more people are going to become annoyed."
>> >
>> > Is there a similar solution in Outlook 2003/Win XP?
>> >
>> > Lindsay Graham
>> > Canberra, Australia

>> I've had no replies to this post, but I have done quite a bit of
>> research, which unfortunately seems to indicate that there is no
>> workaround for this Outlook deficiency. I've seen a *lot* of people
>> complaining about Microsoft's decision to change from pop-up to taskbar.
>>
>> Has anyone here heard of a workaround? -- I guess I thought the change
>> had been so unpopular that someone would have found a way to bring back
>> the pop-up option.
>>
>> In the absence of a workaround, what is the best way to get the message
>> through to Microsoft in the hope that they will do something about it?
>>
>> Here's hoping.
>>
>> Lindsay
>> .

New Member

      17th Jun 2010
I completely agree. This is VERY annoying. I was able to get around this by disabling the "Combine Taskbar Buttons" feature in Window 7. Instructions on how to do this are posted here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...s-xp-or-vista/

Very sad that we have to disable new OS features just to have such a standard / important feature of outlook work as expected!

New Member

      4th Mar 2013
I'm having the same problem with Outlook 2010 also. You can download Outlook plugin called Showreminders from sagelamp.com that pops up the reminder window in front.

good luck
Audrey

New Member

      12th Mar 2013
Same here. Tired of missing meetings because of Outlook reminders. I'm not a big fan of downloading addins but desperately need a solution. I will try out Showreminders from sage.

Jose