Hidden Network Connection

Terry

      3rd Jan 2004
When trying to configure the TCP/IP for a static IP
address to my DSL modem, I am getting a message saying
that "The IP address you have entered for this network
adapter is already assigned to another adapter "Fast
Ethernet Adapter #2". "Fast Ethernet Adapter #2" is
hidden from the Network Connections folder because it is
not physically in the computer. If the same address is
assigned to both adapters and they both become active,
only one of them will use this address. This may result
in incorrect system configuration. Do you want to enter
a different IP address for this adapter in the list of IP
addresses in the Advanced dialog box? Yes/No

I have only one NIC and only one IP address...how do I
get rid of the conflict so that I configure the card that
is physically in my computer. I cannot seem to figure
out how to find the #2 configuration so I can delete it.

Marc Reynolds [MSFT]

      4th Jan 2004
See 825826 How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in Windows
Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825826

--

Thanks,
Marc Reynolds

"Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:000901c3d20c$849ae4d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When trying to configure the TCP/IP for a static IP
> address to my DSL modem, I am getting a message saying
> that "The IP address you have entered for this network
> adapter is already assigned to another adapter "Fast
> Ethernet Adapter #2". "Fast Ethernet Adapter #2" is
> hidden from the Network Connections folder because it is
> not physically in the computer. If the same address is
> assigned to both adapters and they both become active,
> only one of them will use this address. This may result
> in incorrect system configuration. Do you want to enter
> a different IP address for this adapter in the list of IP
> addresses in the Advanced dialog box? Yes/No
>

> I have only one NIC and only one IP address...how do I
> get rid of the conflict so that I configure the card that
> is physically in my computer. I cannot seem to figure
> out how to find the #2 configuration so I can delete it.

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

      5th Jan 2004
I think Terry just needs to uninstall a non-present device.

Type the following commands at a command prompt

set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
devmgmt.msc

And uninstall the adapter you no longer have.

--

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

"Marc Reynolds [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> See 825826 How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in

Windows
> Server
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825826
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
> Marc Reynolds
> Microsoft Technical Support

rights.

> "Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:000901c3d20c$849ae4d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When trying to configure the TCP/IP for a static IP
> > address to my DSL modem, I am getting a message saying
> > that "The IP address you have entered for this network
> > adapter is already assigned to another adapter "Fast
> > Ethernet Adapter #2". "Fast Ethernet Adapter #2" is
> > hidden from the Network Connections folder because it is
> > not physically in the computer. If the same address is
> > assigned to both adapters and they both become active,
> > only one of them will use this address. This may result
> > in incorrect system configuration. Do you want to enter
> > a different IP address for this adapter in the list of IP
> > addresses in the Advanced dialog box? Yes/No
> >

> > I have only one NIC and only one IP address...how do I
> > get rid of the conflict so that I configure the card that
> > is physically in my computer. I cannot seem to figure
> > out how to find the #2 configuration so I can delete it.

New Member

      6th Jul 2011
The problem that I had is that when I go to View and click Show Hidden Devices I can see the Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection but when I try to uninstall it I get Error Message:

Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer.

Well I can’t Uninstall network adapter and I can’t assign the IP Address to the AMD PCNet Adapter. Even when I disable the Driver from the Physical NIC (Intel® PRO/1000) I still can’t assign IP Address the t0 Network Adapter.

This is what I had to do in order to remove the Physical Network Card from the PC and I was able to Assign the IP address with out any problems.

1. Run > regedit

2. File > Export - Do a backup of your Registrty Settings.Will have to delete Registriy settings of the Intel Network Adpater

3. Ctrl+F or Edit > Find - Search for you Network Adpater Name in my case I did a search for “1000 MT” it is unique I would not do a search for just Intel because there is of other Interl componets.

4. If you find the Network Adpter Name with other adapters delete just the key with “Your adpter’s name in the Description”

Sample:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards\9]

“ServiceName”=”{256CX651-7274-XXX-A797-XXXXXXAAXXXX}”

“Description”=”Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection”

I deleted just the key “9″

5. Then Press F3 to contiue the search.

In this case

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-0000-0000-BFC1-00002bE10000}\0007]

“ChangeProperties”=dword:00000001

“LogLinkStateEvent”=”51″

“DmaFairness”=”0″

“FirstTime”=”1″

“PciScanMethod”=”3″

“TxIntDelay”=”28″

“MulticastFilterType”=”0″

“MWIEnable”=”0″

“CustomMessages”=”1″

“VlanFiltering”=”1″

“QtagSwControlled”=”0″

“WaitAutoNegComplete”=”2″

“ReduceSpeedOnPowerDown”=”1″

“AutoPowerSaveModeEnabled”=”0″

“SavePowerNowEnabled”=”1″

“AutoNegAdvertised”=”47″

“TaggingMode”=”0″

“CoInstallFlag”=dword:98000001

“ITR”=”65535″

“AdaptiveIFS”=”0″

“Characteristics”=dword:00000084

“BusType”=”5″

“ComponentId”=”pci\\ven_8086&dev_1076″

“ChecksumRxIp”=”1″

“ChecksumRxTcp”=”1″

“ChecksumTxIp”=”1″

“ChecksumTxTcp”=”1″

“EnablePME”=”2″

“FlowControl”=”3″

“MasterSlave”=”0″

“MaxFrameSize”=”1514″

“NumRxDescriptors”=”256″

“NumTxDescriptors”=”256″

“SPDEnabled”=”1″

“SpeedDuplex”=”0″

“TcpSegmentation”=”1″

“WakeOnLink”=”0″

“WakeOn”=”246″

“InfPath”=”oem0.inf”

“InfSection”=”E1076.ndi.NTx86.5.1″

“ProviderName”=”Intel”

“DriverDateData”=hex:00,00,00,00,00,d0,c4,01

“DriverDate”=”11-22-2004″

“DriverVersion”=”8.4.21.0″

“MatchingDeviceId”=”pci\\ven_8086&dev_1076″

“DriverDesc”=”Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection”

“NetCfgInstanceId”=”{256CX651-7274-XXX-A797-XXXXXXAAXXXX}”

I will delete now only the key, but the sub key. It might give you an error so inorder for you to delete it.

Right Click on the Sub-Key in my case “0007″ > Permissions.

Under Group or user names: Select Everyone

Uder Permissions for Everone mark Full Control Ceck Box > Hit Ok

Now you will delete the regestry Sub-key with out any problems.

6. Hit F3 Again and process the same steps from Step 4 to Delete All the Keys and Sub-Keys that are assisiated with your network interface configurations.

7. Once you have your network adpater registry settings reboot the system.

8. Once the system has been rebooted Check Device Manager if the network adapter that you were deleting is there. (Make sure to go to View and click Show Hidden Devices) If the interface that delete from registries is not in Device Manger.

9. Go to Network Connections and Assign the IP Address to the Network Adapter. You should not get any errors and your system should be on the network.

Good Luck people.

New Member

      8th Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisbissiw View Post

thanks It works.....
pankaj
India