Hidden Files and Folders / Content.IE5!?!?

Martin Gerhold

      15th Sep 2009
Jean's solution doesn't work for me - the OLK folders are still invisible!

To repeat my reply in windows.xpgeneral:

A brief experiment on my setup (Outlook, XP-Pro)
reveals that Outlook saves files to the folder "C:\Documents and
Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK771\". However,
Explorer shows no such folder. Agent Ransack (google it) can see files in this
'magic' folder that Explorer can't. Even without Agent Ransack, you may be able
to access the contents: try opening another word doc from within an email, then
go to File>Save As, and save with a recognisable simple name in the offered
folder. Then go to File>Open, and you should see that saved file, and any other
Word files in the 'magic' folder - your 'lost' one may be there.

HTH, Martin

"Jean Rosenfeld" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use Microsoft Outlook 2002 on XP pro SP3. Don't know if this applies to other
>mail readers or other versions of Windows:
>
> If I open an attachment (say a .doc) file it gets placed, not in Content.IE5
> or its subfolders (those contain Internet Explorer downloads) but in
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\my user name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files\OLK101 (the numbers after OLK may vary).
>
> If you can find that folder and you have not cleared your caches, your edited
> file might be there. Here's one way:
>
> Easiest way I've found to see the full contents of the temporary internet
> files folder is to open diskcleanup (but don't let it clean up). Highlight
> temporary intenet files, click view files. That opens Explorer at the
> Contents.IE5 folder in single pane view. click the folder icon in the toolbar
> to show Explorer in double pane view and you will see all those OLK folders in
> the left pane and be able to examine their contents.
> For convenience I right dragged the icon from Explorer's toolbar to create a
> shortcut on my desktop.
>
> "Anne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yeh thanks. Trust me, I understand what has happened.... I even knew when I
>> did it .... I knew immediately that I had messed up. I just never imagined
>> it would be so hard to recover. I always save things, because I know it
>> downloads them to a temporary folder..... I was rushing, and everything was
>> hectic....and in clicking the save icon and closing the file I royally
>> screwed up. I had hope though --- when I found the Content.IE5 folder, when
>> I found the 19 folders within that Content folder....yeh, I was hopeful that
>> I would find it in there. But i think it is truly gone, replaced with other
>> files...who knows why it isn't there. I just don't know why...when I
>> clicked the save icon...it saved it somewhere, it must have. Did it just get
>> rid of it?> Replace it with other temp internet downloads, files, and
>> pictures....I just feel like.....it saved it...somewhere. Didn't it ?

>>> Someone suggested a new email account?
>>>
>>> It's not that this was difficult... You merely needed to save your document
>>> to a location you knew about/could easily get to in the first place. What
>>> you did was akin to throwing something out the window of a speeding vehicle
>>> while blindfolded with the radio turned up full blast and expecting to get
>>> it back later. Sure - you know what highway you were on - but...
>>>
>>> From now on - save the attachment and edit the saved copy - not the one in
>>> your email.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shenan Stanley
>>> MS-MVP
>>> --
>>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Jean Rosenfeld

      15th Sep 2009
Are you logged in with admin rights? If you right click on the temporary
internet files folder (in the Explorer window got through disk cleanup as
suggested in my previous post) properties, security tab, does your logged in
account have full control? if not see if giving yourself full control there
the OLK folders show up after a refresh of the explorer window.

However, your method also works fine to access at least one of the OLK
folders (I have two at present, not sure why)

"Martin Gerhold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4aaf6fbf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> it
>>> downloads them to a temporary folder..... I was rushing, and everything
>>> was
>>> hectic....and in clicking the save icon and closing the file I royally
>>> screwed up. I had hope though --- when I found the Content.IE5 folder,
>>> when
>>> I found the 19 folders within that Content folder....yeh, I was hopeful
>>> that
>>> I would find it in there. But i think it is truly gone, replaced with
>>> other
>>> files...who knows why it isn't there. I just don't know why...when I
>>> clicked the save icon...it saved it somewhere, it must have. Did it
>>> just get
>>> rid of it?> Replace it with other temp internet downloads, files, and
>>> pictures....I just feel like.....it saved it...somewhere. Didn't it ?

      16th Sep 2009
No admin rights here - I am on a work PC with very restricted access! I shall
try what you suggest at home... not that I have an problem, I was just trying to
help, and be ready for when a colleague might have the same issue.

Lets hope Anne gets lucky!

"Jean Rosenfeld" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you logged in with admin rights? If you right click on the temporary
> internet files folder (in the Explorer window got through disk cleanup as
> suggested in my previous post) properties, security tab, does your logged in
> account have full control? if not see if giving yourself full control there
> the OLK folders show up after a refresh of the explorer window.
>
> However, your method also works fine to access at least one of the OLK folders
> (I have two at present, not sure why)
>
> "Martin Gerhold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4aaf6fbf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jean's solution doesn't work for me - the OLK folders are still invisible!
>>
>> To repeat my reply in windows.xpgeneral:
>>
>> A brief experiment on my setup (Outlook, XP-Pro)
>> reveals that Outlook saves files to the folder "C:\Documents and
>> Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK771\". However,
>> Explorer shows no such folder. Agent Ransack (google it) can see files in
>> this
>> 'magic' folder that Explorer can't. Even without Agent Ransack, you may be
>> able
>> to access the contents: try opening another word doc from within an email,
>> then
>> go to File>Save As, and save with a recognisable simple name in the offered
>> folder. Then go to File>Open, and you should see that saved file, and any
>> other
>> Word files in the 'magic' folder - your 'lost' one may be there.
>>
>> HTH, Martin
>>
>> "Jean Rosenfeld" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:u$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I use Microsoft Outlook 2002 on XP pro SP3. Don't know if this applies to
>>>other mail readers or other versions of Windows:
>>>
>>> If I open an attachment (say a .doc) file it gets placed, not in Content.IE5
>>> or its subfolders (those contain Internet Explorer downloads) but in
>>>
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\my user name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
>>> Files\OLK101 (the numbers after OLK may vary).
>>>
>>> If you can find that folder and you have not cleared your caches, your
>>> edited file might be there. Here's one way:
>>>
>>> Easiest way I've found to see the full contents of the temporary internet
>>> files folder is to open diskcleanup (but don't let it clean up). Highlight
>>> temporary intenet files, click view files. That opens Explorer at the
>>> Contents.IE5 folder in single pane view. click the folder icon in the
>>> toolbar to show Explorer in double pane view and you will see all those OLK
>>> folders in the left pane and be able to examine their contents.
>>> For convenience I right dragged the icon from Explorer's toolbar to create a
>>> shortcut on my desktop.
>>>
>>> "Anne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Hathaway

      24th Oct 2009

You can get access to your OLK771 folder by using My Computer and go to the
folder C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files which you will be able to see ok. Then in the address bar at the top
of the screen type in the name of your Temporary Outlook folder seperated by
a back slash \OLK771 and press the Enter key and it should open just fine.
Another alternative would be to just type into the address bar
"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK771"
Of coarse in your example you must replace the <user> with your User Profile
Name.

Charlie
> [...]
>>> it
>>> downloads them to a temporary folder..... I was rushing, and everything
>>> was
>>> hectic....and in clicking the save icon and closing the file I royally
>>> screwed up. I had hope though --- when I found the Content.IE5 folder,
>>> when
>>> I found the 19 folders within that Content folder....yeh, I was hopeful
>>> that
>>> I would find it in there. But i think it is truly gone, replaced with
>>> other
>>> files...who knows why it isn't there. I just don't know why...when I
>>> clicked the save icon...it saved it somewhere, it must have. Did it
>>> just get
>>> rid of it?> Replace it with other temp internet downloads, files, and
>>> pictures....I just feel like.....it saved it...somewhere. Didn't it ?

Ragmuffina

      29th Nov 2009

the same happened to me only i've lost coursework due to be sent today. I am
frantically trying to search the internet trying to find a way to access the
files.
;(

"Anne" wrote:

> Okay so I've lost a crucial document that is VERY important for my business.
> I downloaded this file from an email attachment, clicked "open" instead of
> "save as"....edited the document in MS WORD, clicked the save icon, and
> closed it. Now my document is nowhere to be found, locked away in some crazy
> Temp Folder.
>
> A friend advised me to type in the file path for the Content.IE5 folder, as
> he said this folder wouldn't show up even if you searched and selected "Show
> hidden files and folders". I did this, it opened the folder, which held a
> few other folders, all with very few files in them-- though i definitely did
> not locate the file I was searching for.
>
> This prompted me to investigate the properties of the main Content.IE5
> folder, which said it contained 5,000 files and 19 folders. I cannot imagine
> why this would be, why there would be so many folders full of unneccesary
> images and files, and I as the computer owner cannot get to them easily. I
> am desperate....Windows support won't help me unless I pay them $60.
>
> I tried downloading an attachment again, and viewing the document properties
> to locate the filepath -- then typing in the filepath. This helped me to
> find about four of the 19 super hidden folders, but my file was not in any of
> them. PLEASE HELP ME

Shenan Stanley

      29th Nov 2009
Ragmuffina wrote:
> the same happened to me only i've lost coursework due to be sent
> today. I am frantically trying to search the internet trying to
> find a way to access the files.
> ;(

Did you read the entire conversation you have responded to?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Invictus

      17th Dec 2009
There has been some bad advice here. I just did the same stupid thing and I
did recover the files.

1. Go to disk clean-up (I assume you will know how to do this, if not, look
it up it is easy)
2. Click on Temporary Internet Files
3. Click on view files (a window should open with the folder Content.IE5
4. In that window go to tools
5. Click Folder options
6. Click on "Show hidden files and folders" and unclick "hide protected
operating system files (Recommended)" you will be prompted warning you that
you shouldn't be looking at system files. click yes.
7. Now the hidden folders will be displayed
8. Sort the folders by date
9. Your file will be in one of the hidden folders that has been modified
since the time you lost your file. There may be a dozen folders to check.
Find the one with your file, open the file, save it somewhere smart.

Shenan Stanley

      17th Dec 2009
<another snippage of the entire conversation>
Read it here:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...74fdf601932ca/

Invictus wrote:
> There has been some bad advice here. I just did the same stupid
> thing and I did recover the files.
>
> 1. Go to disk clean-up (I assume you will know how to do this, if
> not, look it up it is easy)
> 2. Click on Temporary Internet Files
> 3. Click on view files (a window should open with the folder
> Content.IE5
> 4. In that window go to tools
> 5. Click Folder options
> 6. Click on "Show hidden files and folders" and unclick "hide
> protected operating system files (Recommended)" you will be
> prompted warning you that you shouldn't be looking at system files.
> click yes.
> 7. Now the hidden folders will be displayed
> 8. Sort the folders by date
> 9. Your file will be in one of the hidden folders that has been
> modified since the time you lost your file. There may be a dozen
> folders to check. Find the one with your file, open the file, save
> it somewhere smart.

Amazingly lucky. Sometimes the folder is gone.

The good advice is *always* save and work from the saved document - not the
one you decided to open from your email attachment directly. Everything
else is a 'maybe' in terms of keeping this from happening again.

Recovery was not an option in this case because they *found* the folder with
everything visible and the document was not there. That's the way it occurs
at least half of the time - if not more.

The good advice is not to let that happen. Make saving first in a proper
location a habit.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Billsebiz

      27th Feb 2010

I found this on WindoesBBS.

"ise2006--I think a program such as SystemSecuritySuite does a better job of
deleting the Content.IE5 files including the contents of the index.dat file
in that folder.
http://www.igorshpak.net/
Check "Temporary" under both My Computer and Internet Explorer columns.

Specific to just seeing the Content.IE5 files, I have the same problem. If
you type C:\Doc..and Setting\user's name\Local Setting\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5 into the Windows Address line and click Enter, you will get
there. I created a shortcut just for this purpose.
There are other ways, but I find this simplest.
"

This works and youcan see and modify the contents of Content.IE5 and all of
the sub-folders.

Good luck!