Hibernation function not working

Mark D.

      28th Sep 2008
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with a P4 and 2 gb of RAM, running Windows XP
home edition, SP3.

I have tried using the hibernate function but it does not respond. I have
gone into the power options settings and confirmed that hibernate mode is
enabled. Yet when I try to put my machine into a state of hibernation, it
does nothing (I'm using the Start/Turn Off Computer/<shift> Hibernate
function.

Thanks to the community in advance for any suggestions or advice. It's
appreciated...

Mark

Leonard Grey

      28th Sep 2008
This article may apply in your case:

"Hibernation problem on computers with 1 GB of RAM"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330909

It's unlikely that you're running an old version of Nero, but that is
also known to prevent Hibernation.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

Mark D. wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with a P4 and 2 gb of RAM, running Windows XP
> home edition, SP3.
>
> I have tried using the hibernate function but it does not respond. I have
> gone into the power options settings and confirmed that hibernate mode is
> enabled. Yet when I try to put my machine into a state of hibernation, it
> does nothing (I'm using the Start/Turn Off Computer/<shift> Hibernate
> function.
>
> Thanks to the community in advance for any suggestions or advice. It's
> appreciated...
>
> Mark

Mark D.

      28th Sep 2008
Thanks Leonard for your input. Unfortunately, this article does not apply to
my machine since I mistakenly stated that I was running 1 GB of ram when, in
fact, I have 2 GB of ram.

I'm looking into the possiblity of updating the BIOS....

Thanks,
Mark

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> This article may apply in your case:
>
> "Hibernation problem on computers with 1 GB of RAM"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330909
>
> It's unlikely that you're running an old version of Nero, but that is
> also known to prevent Hibernation.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>
> Mark D. wrote:
> > I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with a P4 and 2 gb of RAM, running Windows XP
> > home edition, SP3.
> >
> > I have tried using the hibernate function but it does not respond. I have
> > gone into the power options settings and confirmed that hibernate mode is
> > enabled. Yet when I try to put my machine into a state of hibernation, it
> > does nothing (I'm using the Start/Turn Off Computer/<shift> Hibernate
> > function.
> >
> > Thanks to the community in advance for any suggestions or advice. It's
> > appreciated...
> >
> > Mark

Leonard Grey

      28th Sep 2008
The article does not apply to 'exactly' 1GB of RAM. Obviously, a
computer with 2GB of RAM also has 1GB of RAM. But you're welcome anyway.
---