Help. Windows XP - Cursor has mind of its own

=?Utf-8?B?U0I=?=

      29th Oct 2007
Hello,

Hoping someone who has had a similiar problem and can direct me to fixing
issue. I am running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop.

Problems I am having:

- cursor has mind of its own. In open browsers, Microsoft Office programs
and IM it automaticly goes to the first spot on any open window. As if the
touchpad is being pulled back to the begining. Makes typing anything very
difficult. Sometimes I lose control completely of the cursor and have to
reboot.
- Cursor forced to first icon on my desktop. Wont allow me to click on any
other icon without launching first icon on top left automaticly.
- Open browsers not allowing me to scroll down. The cursor forces itself to
top of page.

All of these problems are definitely related. Sometimes computer beeps
loudly continuously as if a key is held down mistakingly.

Anyone experience this problem or can offer help?

Regards

=?Utf-8?B?cGdhcnZhbg==?=

      29th Oct 2007
SB,

Have you checked the "Mouse Properties" in Control Panel? Specifically,
under "Pointer Options", choosing the "Snap To" setting gives the following
behavior:

"Specifies whether the mouse pointer snaps to the default
button (such as OK or Apply) in Dialog boxes. In some
programs, Snap To may cause the pointer to automatically
move to the center of the dialog box rather than to the default
button."

Regards,

Patrick

"SB" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Hoping someone who has had a similiar problem and can direct me to fixing
> issue. I am running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop.
>
> Problems I am having:
>
> - cursor has mind of its own. In open browsers, Microsoft Office programs
> and IM it automaticly goes to the first spot on any open window. As if the
> touchpad is being pulled back to the begining. Makes typing anything very
> difficult. Sometimes I lose control completely of the cursor and have to
> reboot.
> - Cursor forced to first icon on my desktop. Wont allow me to click on any
> other icon without launching first icon on top left automaticly.
> - Open browsers not allowing me to scroll down. The cursor forces itself to
> top of page.
>

> All of these problems are definitely related. Sometimes computer beeps
> loudly continuously as if a key is held down mistakingly.
>
> Anyone experience this problem or can offer help?
>
> Regards

=?Utf-8?B?U0I=?=

      29th Oct 2007
Thanks, Patrick
I have checked the 'Snap To' options of 'Mouse Properties' under 'Control
Panel'. Check Box is Unchecked.

Regards

"pgarvan" wrote:

> SB,
>
> Have you checked the "Mouse Properties" in Control Panel? Specifically,
> under "Pointer Options", choosing the "Snap To" setting gives the following
> behavior:
>
> "Specifies whether the mouse pointer snaps to the default
> button (such as OK or Apply) in Dialog boxes. In some
> programs, Snap To may cause the pointer to automatically
> move to the center of the dialog box rather than to the default
> button."
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick
>

> "SB" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Hoping someone who has had a similiar problem and can direct me to fixing
> > issue. I am running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop.
> >
> > Problems I am having:
> >
> > - cursor has mind of its own. In open browsers, Microsoft Office programs
> > and IM it automaticly goes to the first spot on any open window. As if the
> > touchpad is being pulled back to the begining. Makes typing anything very
> > difficult. Sometimes I lose control completely of the cursor and have to
> > reboot.
> > - Cursor forced to first icon on my desktop. Wont allow me to click on any
> > other icon without launching first icon on top left automaticly.
> > - Open browsers not allowing me to scroll down. The cursor forces itself to
> > top of page.
> >

> > All of these problems are definitely related. Sometimes computer beeps
> > loudly continuously as if a key is held down mistakingly.
> >
> > Anyone experience this problem or can offer help?
> >
> > Regards

=?Utf-8?B?cGdhcnZhbg==?=

      29th Oct 2007
SB,

OK. You might like to try installing/reinstalling the latest driver for your
touchpad. It's likely that it comes with a touchpad-specific configuration
applet that may provide a setting that will solve your problem.

Regards,

Patrick

"SB" wrote:

> Thanks, Patrick
> I have checked the 'Snap To' options of 'Mouse Properties' under 'Control
> Panel'. Check Box is Unchecked.
>

> Regards
>

> "pgarvan" wrote:
>
> > SB,
> >
> > Have you checked the "Mouse Properties" in Control Panel? Specifically,
> > under "Pointer Options", choosing the "Snap To" setting gives the following
> > behavior:
> >
> > "Specifies whether the mouse pointer snaps to the default
> > button (such as OK or Apply) in Dialog boxes. In some
> > programs, Snap To may cause the pointer to automatically
> > move to the center of the dialog box rather than to the default
> > button."
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Patrick
> >

> > "SB" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Hoping someone who has had a similiar problem and can direct me to fixing
> > > issue. I am running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop.
> > >
> > > Problems I am having:
> > >
> > > - cursor has mind of its own. In open browsers, Microsoft Office programs
> > > and IM it automaticly goes to the first spot on any open window. As if the
> > > touchpad is being pulled back to the begining. Makes typing anything very
> > > difficult. Sometimes I lose control completely of the cursor and have to
> > > reboot.
> > > - Cursor forced to first icon on my desktop. Wont allow me to click on any
> > > other icon without launching first icon on top left automaticly.
> > > - Open browsers not allowing me to scroll down. The cursor forces itself to
> > > top of page.
> > >

> > > All of these problems are definitely related. Sometimes computer beeps
> > > loudly continuously as if a key is held down mistakingly.
> > >
> > > Anyone experience this problem or can offer help?
> > >
> > > Regards

=?Utf-8?B?U0I=?=

      30th Oct 2007
Thanks, Patrick

It worked. 'Top Arrow' key of my KB stuck.

Regards