Help with virtual memory setting

Hans

      5th May 2006
1Ghz Athlon, 256Mb Ram, W2k + SP4

Just had to re-install, and program came up with the message
that there was not enough virtual memory.
I know where to make the adjustment, does anyone know
what size to set it at?

John John

      5th May 2006
What is it set to now? A rule of thumb is to set it at 1.5 times RAM.
It also a good idea to set the minimum and maximum to the same size,
this prevents pagefile resizing that can lead to pagefile fragmentation.
So following these rules of thumb a good size would be 384MB.

John

Hans wrote:
> 1Ghz Athlon, 256Mb Ram, W2k + SP4
>
> Just had to re-install, and program came up with the message
> that there was not enough virtual memory.
> I know where to make the adjustment, does anyone know
> what size to set it at?

Hans

      5th May 2006

"John John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is it set to now? A rule of thumb is to set it at 1.5 times RAM.
> It also a good idea to set the minimum and maximum to the same size,
> this prevents pagefile resizing that can lead to pagefile fragmentation.
> So following these rules of thumb a good size would be 384MB.
>
> John

It's set at 384 min & 768 max.
Would this be the cause of the problem?
By the way, the program that gave the alert, was a DVD maker.
It happened while it was encoding the files, but adjusted itself, and
finished compiling the files.
I also have a problem with the PC freezing quite often, could this be
another thing linked to the virtual memory?
Many thanks for your help.

DL

      6th May 2006
Win2k is happier with 512mb

"Hans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VKQ6g.2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What is it set to now? A rule of thumb is to set it at 1.5 times RAM.
> > It also a good idea to set the minimum and maximum to the same size,
> > this prevents pagefile resizing that can lead to pagefile fragmentation.
> > So following these rules of thumb a good size would be 384MB.
> >
> > John

> It's set at 384 min & 768 max.
> Would this be the cause of the problem?
> By the way, the program that gave the alert, was a DVD maker.
> It happened while it was encoding the files, but adjusted itself, and
> finished compiling the files.
> I also have a problem with the PC freezing quite often, could this be
> another thing linked to the virtual memory?
> Many thanks for your help.

Dan Seur

      6th May 2006
1 - Set it to 512 (or larger, if you have space) as DL suggests.
2 - Set min=max as John suggests.
3 - Run chkdsk. If it reports errors, run it with the /r parameter.
4 - Defrag your drive once chkdsk reports no errors.

If your system still misbehaves, then:

5 - Run the drive manufacturer's disk diagnostic to see if a hard drive
problem might be causing your system's freezing/stuttering as well as
the misbehavio0r you originally wrote about. The diagnostic can be
downloaded from their website. It runs as a bootable diskette.

Having done all the above, report results. There is probably no point in
posting back here before that.

Hans wrote:

> "John John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>What is it set to now? A rule of thumb is to set it at 1.5 times RAM.
>>It also a good idea to set the minimum and maximum to the same size,
>>this prevents pagefile resizing that can lead to pagefile fragmentation.
>> So following these rules of thumb a good size would be 384MB.
>>
>>John

> It's set at 384 min & 768 max.
> Would this be the cause of the problem?
> By the way, the program that gave the alert, was a DVD maker.
> It happened while it was encoding the files, but adjusted itself, and
> finished compiling the files.
> I also have a problem with the PC freezing quite often, could this be
> another thing linked to the virtual memory?
> Many thanks for your help.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
> Tested on: 5/5/2006 7:04:19 PM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
Tested on: 5/5/2006 8:16:11 PM

John John

      6th May 2006
How much free space do you have on the drive?

John

Hans wrote:

> "John John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>What is it set to now? A rule of thumb is to set it at 1.5 times RAM.
>>It also a good idea to set the minimum and maximum to the same size,
>>this prevents pagefile resizing that can lead to pagefile fragmentation.
>> So following these rules of thumb a good size would be 384MB.
>>
>>John

> It's set at 384 min & 768 max.
> Would this be the cause of the problem?
> By the way, the program that gave the alert, was a DVD maker.
> It happened while it was encoding the files, but adjusted itself, and
> finished compiling the files.
> I also have a problem with the PC freezing quite often, could this be
> another thing linked to the virtual memory?
> Many thanks for your help.

Hans

      6th May 2006

"John John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How much free space do you have on the drive?
>
> John

C: Space available: 14458 MB

Total paging file size for all drives:
Min: 2MB
Rec: 382MB
Currently allocated: 1024MB (after resetting to 512+512)