Help!!! How to recover replaced word document?!

=?Utf-8?B?QW15IEMu?=

      4th Nov 2004
I downloaded a word document from my email by giving it the same name as one
of my file on my computer. When it asked “the ‘xyz’ file has already exit, do
you want to replace it?” I accidentally clicked “Yes”! Now the old “xyz” file
is lost. My file old file was replaced by the new file that I download, is
there any way I can find my old file? I tried to restore to an earlier time,
but it didn’t work! Thanks a Bunch!

=?Utf-8?B?Z2FyZmllbGQtbi1vZGll?=

      4th Nov 2004
Hi, Amy. In Word, if the "Always create backup copy" option is enabled in
Tools | Options | Save, then the previous version of the document will be
saved with a .wbk extension to the same folder as the current version of the
document. If you don't have this option enabled, then the previous version
of the document is gone.

"Amy C." wrote:

> I downloaded a word document from my email by giving it the same name as one
> of my file on my computer. When it asked “the ‘xyz’ file has already exit, do
> you want to replace it?” I accidentally clicked “Yes”! Now the old “xyz” file
> is lost. My file old file was replaced by the new file that I download, is
> there any way I can find my old file? I tried to restore to an earlier time,
> but it didn’t work! Thanks a Bunch!

=?Utf-8?B?QW15IEMu?=

      4th Nov 2004
Thanks for your help! But my file was gone (((

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

> Hi, Amy. In Word, if the "Always create backup copy" option is enabled in
> Tools | Options | Save, then the previous version of the document will be
> saved with a .wbk extension to the same folder as the current version of the
> document. If you don't have this option enabled, then the previous version
> of the document is gone.
>
> "Amy C." wrote:
>
> > I downloaded a word document from my email by giving it the same name as one
> > of my file on my computer. When it asked “the ‘xyz’ file has already exit, do
> > you want to replace it?” I accidentally clicked “Yes”! Now the old “xyz” file
> > is lost. My file old file was replaced by the new file that I download, is
> > there any way I can find my old file? I tried to restore to an earlier time,
> > but it didn’t work! Thanks a Bunch!

Graham Mayor

      4th Nov 2004
Note also that Windows restore doesn't affect data files.

--
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org