Help Please - MS Access reports running slow

=?Utf-8?B?U2FyYXZhbmFuIFNhZGFzaXZhbg==?=

      25th Feb 2004
Hi

We have an application (mde file) accessing a MS Access database file and generating reports. We have placed both these files on the server and access the application from a different PC by mapping the drive to the server. When we run a report with a few sub-reports, it is taking a very long time to generate. Whereas, when we put the same application and MS Access database on the same PC and access it directly, the same report with the same amount of data runs extremely fast. To give an idea of how slow the report runs from the server - it takes 21 minutes to generate completely when run from the server but just 3 minutes to generate completely when run on the same PC. This is happening at a client site

Please, help with this as I am not able to figure out why this would happen

Thanks & Regards
Saravanan

James Goodman

      25th Feb 2004
Have you tried copying the application part onto the local computer?

It would be normal practice to give a copy of the application to each user,
whilst storing the data on the server. Otherwise you might as well keep both
the application & data in one file...

--
James Goodman
MCSE MCDBA
"Saravanan Sadasivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> We have an application (mde file) accessing a MS Access database file and

generating reports. We have placed both these files on the server and access
the application from a different PC by mapping the drive to the server. When
we run a report with a few sub-reports, it is taking a very long time to
generate. Whereas, when we put the same application and MS Access database
on the same PC and access it directly, the same report with the same amount
of data runs extremely fast. To give an idea of how slow the report runs
from the server - it takes 21 minutes to generate completely when run from
the server but just 3 minutes to generate completely when run on the same
PC. This is happening at a client site.

> Please, help with this as I am not able to figure out why this would

happen.

> Thanks & Regards,
> Saravanan.

Tony Toews

      26th Feb 2004
"Saravanan Sadasivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We have an application (mde file) accessing a MS Access database file and generating reports. We have placed both these files on the server and access the application from a different PC by mapping the drive to the server. When we run a report with a few sub-reports, it is taking a very long time to generate. Whereas, when we put the same application and MS Access database on the same PC and access it directly, the same report with the same amount of data runs extremely fast. To give an idea of how slow the report runs from the server - it takes 21 minutes to generate completely when run from the server but just 3 minutes to generate completely when run on the same PC. This is happening at a client site.

The problem is not the number of sub-reports while in design view but
how many sub-reports are executed when running the report.

Performance is worse after splitting - My personal experience
aka How to speed up complex forms and reports with many records each
with sub reports.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/spli...erformance.htm

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Tony Toews

      26th Feb 2004
Tony Toews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The problem is not the number of sub-reports while in design view but
>how many sub-reports are executed when running the report.

Let me rephrase that. If you have 10,000 records in the main report
and most of those records in turn subreports then you will see the
behaviour you mention.

Tony