Help Needed To Locate And Delete Adware File In C:\RECYCLER

John Fraser

      6th May 2004
Hello XP givers of advice

I recently ran a full system virus scan using Norton Internet Security 2004.

The scan revealed the presence of an Adware file in the C:\RECYCLER
directory.

Norton was unable to delete the file. I obtained further info re the Adware
file from the Norton Website.

The advice there was to manually delete the Adware file myself.

I have been unable to find the offending file in the directory above -
find/search says file not found etc. I have also been unable to delete the
directory - each time I attempt to delete the directory, I get the message
"some other program is using the file etc". I tried starting XP in Safe
Mode, closing explorer and using a DOS command prompt, but all has failed. I
can find no related info in XP help, nor in the MS Knowledge Database.

My XP reference text describes the directory above (C:\RECYCLER) as a
"hidden protected operating system folder". Obviously the problem of
locating and deleting the file is bound up in this hidden/protected stuff.

Could someone please explain

(1)why XP "search" does not locate the file, despite Norton Internet
Security stating that the file exists in this directory.

(2) how I delete the file, or at least delete the subdirectory within
C:\RECYCLER that apparently contains the offending file.

With thanks

Panther2000

AnnonUser

      6th May 2004
John Fraser wrote:

>Hello XP givers of advice
>
>I recently ran a full system virus scan using Norton Internet Security 2004.
>
>The scan revealed the presence of an Adware file in the C:\RECYCLER
>directory.
>
>Norton was unable to delete the file. I obtained further info re the Adware
>file from the Norton Website.
>
>The advice there was to manually delete the Adware file myself.
>
>I have been unable to find the offending file in the directory above -
>find/search says file not found etc. I have also been unable to delete the
>directory - each time I attempt to delete the directory, I get the message
>"some other program is using the file etc". I tried starting XP in Safe
>Mode, closing explorer and using a DOS command prompt, but all has failed. I
>can find no related info in XP help, nor in the MS Knowledge Database.
>
>My XP reference text describes the directory above (C:\RECYCLER) as a
>"hidden protected operating system folder". Obviously the problem of
>locating and deleting the file is bound up in this hidden/protected stuff.
>
>Could someone please explain
>
>(1)why XP "search" does not locate the file, despite Norton Internet
>Security stating that the file exists in this directory.
>
>(2) how I delete the file, or at least delete the subdirectory within
>C:\RECYCLER that apparently contains the offending file.
>
>With thanks
>
>Panther2000

Ad-Aware 6.0 - for removing spyware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spybot Search & Destroy - for removing spyware
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Wesley Vogel

      6th May 2004
John;

Forget Norton, they may be OK for virii but not scumware.

First.
Right click the IE icon | Properties | Advanced tab |
Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

 Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
perform a particular task.]]
 Enable Install On Demand (Other)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
particular task.]]

Apply | OK
=================================

Second.
It is known as Scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
good, FREE utilities.
The first site gives some recommendations.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads.php?cat=all#s-p

1) Spybot S & D
http://www.safer-networking.org/inde...&page=download
or
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

2) SpywareBlaster
SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever
being installed.
The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.

3) HijackThis (some other stuff that may be of interest also)
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html

4) CWShredder direct download:
http://216.180.233.163/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

4) CWShredder
http://majorgeeks.com/download4086.html

5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner...ource=appvisit

6) ToolbarCop
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

7) AdAware
===============

Additional information & instructions.
A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default...7315#appliesto

Spyware and Deceptive Software
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/...e.mspx?gssnb=1

What you should know about spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%(E-Mail Removed),
John Fraser <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> Hello XP givers of advice
>
> I recently ran a full system virus scan using Norton Internet
> Security 2004.
>
> The scan revealed the presence of an Adware file in the C:\RECYCLER
> directory.
>
> Norton was unable to delete the file. I obtained further info re the
> Adware file from the Norton Website.
>
> The advice there was to manually delete the Adware file myself.
>
> I have been unable to find the offending file in the directory above -
> find/search says file not found etc. I have also been unable to
> delete the directory - each time I attempt to delete the directory, I
> get the message "some other program is using the file etc". I tried
> starting XP in Safe Mode, closing explorer and using a DOS command
> prompt, but all has failed. I can find no related info in XP help,
> nor in the MS Knowledge Database.
>
> My XP reference text describes the directory above (C:\RECYCLER) as a
> "hidden protected operating system folder". Obviously the problem of
> locating and deleting the file is bound up in this hidden/protected
> stuff.
>
> Could someone please explain
>
> (1)why XP "search" does not locate the file, despite Norton Internet
> Security stating that the file exists in this directory.
>
> (2) how I delete the file, or at least delete the subdirectory within
> C:\RECYCLER that apparently contains the offending file.
>
> With thanks
>
> Panther2000

roger

      6th May 2004
Hi John,

On Thu, 6 May 2004 16:57:35 +1000, "John Fraser"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello XP givers of advice
>
>I recently ran a full system virus scan using Norton Internet Security 2004.
>
>The scan revealed the presence of an Adware file in the C:\RECYCLER
>directory.
>
>Norton was unable to delete the file. I obtained further info re the Adware
>file from the Norton Website.

C:\Recycler is the recycle bin if you're using the NTFS system.

You need to make sure that is the only file in the recycle bin, or it
is empty except for that file.
If you have Windows XP Professional, boot to the recovery console
after enhancing its capabilities according to this article:
310497 - HOW TO: Add More Power to Recovery Console By Using Group
Policy in Windows XP Professional.

From the recovery console type:
set AllowAllPaths = TRUE
RD Recycler /s
The recycle bin being a protected system folder, it will be recreated
when you next boot, without the offending file.

Another option is booting from a Windows 98 boot disk and using the
same command rd

HTH