Help! I can't enable my Thinkpad wireless

JJ

      19th May 2007
My wife bought a Thinkpad T43 through work. At the time she bought they set
everything up and disabled the wireless because of their security policies.
At the time she left she gave them them the laptop so they could remove
their software, data, etc. So she now has the laptop back with only WinXP
pro on it. It networks ok with my desktop when connected with a cable, but
it won't let me enable the wireless. When I click on "view network
connections" it show the network pic with a red X. When I try to enable it
the X goes away but when I try to connect there is no connection and the X
is back. Also there is a little pic of lock with the network pic which
leads me to believe that its disable by some sort of administrator setting
or something that I can't figure out how to over-ride. I saw nothing in the
BIOS that would let me enable it.

Thanks, Jim

Zadok

      19th May 2007
On Fri, 18 May 2007 19:04:41 -0400, "JJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My wife bought a Thinkpad T43 through work. At the time she bought they set
>everything up and disabled the wireless because of their security policies.
>At the time she left she gave them them the laptop so they could remove
>their software, data, etc. So she now has the laptop back with only WinXP
>pro on it. It networks ok with my desktop when connected with a cable, but
>it won't let me enable the wireless. When I click on "view network
>connections" it show the network pic with a red X. When I try to enable it
>the X goes away but when I try to connect there is no connection and the X
>is back. Also there is a little pic of lock with the network pic which
>leads me to believe that its disable by some sort of administrator setting
>or something that I can't figure out how to over-ride. I saw nothing in the
>BIOS that would let me enable it.
>
>Thanks, Jim

What do you see in the device manager? Is there a physical switch near
the keyboard? Let us know...

-- Zadok
('')

JJ

      19th May 2007
Yes it is seen in device manager and reports that it is working properly. I
was thinking there may be some sort of switch as well but couldn't find
one - could there be an internal switch maybe? The little picture of the
lock on the network connection picture makes me think there is some kind of
administrator lock feature. I could attach a screen shot of this if that
would help.
Jim
news:(E-Mail Removed)...