HDD causes boot problems

Ziggy

      16th Apr 2004
After trying to boot my machine, I get past the XP screen
and my computer just reboots. Then continuously tries to
start up only to reboot. If I try to enter into safe mode
or any other the same thing happens. When I disconnect my
additional hard drive, I can boot with no problems at
all. Also, I can see the drive and even move/copy/delete
files while using Knoppix, just not with XP. Is there
anyway that I can recover this drive?

Its a Western Digital 120GB drive with a lot of
information I do not have backed up, and cannot delete.
Should I try to delete or move the CLSID and/or system
info on the root of the drive?

kawipoo

      16th Apr 2004
It could be power supply problems. Maybe you are on the ragged edge of
needed power. The most power used is during startup when the hard drives
are spinning up.
If you have a external hard drive enclosure you might be able to retrieve
the data through a USB 2 or firewire connection. This option reduces the
power supply load because the power to the HD is also external.
I am not familar with Knoppix I assume that this is on a different computer?
"Ziggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:014701c42401$c03a9b10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> After trying to boot my machine, I get past the XP screen
> and my computer just reboots. Then continuously tries to
> start up only to reboot. If I try to enter into safe mode
> or any other the same thing happens. When I disconnect my
> additional hard drive, I can boot with no problems at
> all. Also, I can see the drive and even move/copy/delete
> files while using Knoppix, just not with XP. Is there
> anyway that I can recover this drive?
>
> Its a Western Digital 120GB drive with a lot of
> information I do not have backed up, and cannot delete.
> Should I try to delete or move the CLSID and/or system
> info on the root of the drive?

Ziggy

      17th Apr 2004
I've tried switching power supplies, no problems there.
The disk is also internal. Knoppix is a Linux based cdrom
driven OS, it has no problems reading the info off the
drive. I've tried just about everything. None of the
knowledge bases seem to point me in the right direction.
I'm dealing with a stop: 0x24 ntfs.sys error on the drive
and in order to do any maintenance I need to be in
windows with the drive disconnected. All the knowledge
bases say to test the drive within windows, which I cant
boot windows while the drive is connected. Furthermore i
know of no way to create a boot disk to check the drive.
The only boot disk I know to make is a 98 boot disk,
which is useless because of FAT's inability to see NTFS
partitions. Heh. I'm a little frustated here...