PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Hard drive evolution could hit Microsoft XP users

 
 
Yousuf Khan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      9th Mar 2010
BBC News - Hard drive evolution could hit Microsoft XP users
"By early 2011 all hard drives will use an "advanced format" that
changes how they go about saving the data people store on them.

The move to the advanced format will make it easier for hard drive
makers to produce bigger drives that use less power and are more reliable.

However, it might mean problems for Windows XP users who swap an old
drive for one using the changed format. "
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8557144.stm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew Hamilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12th Mar 2010
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:28:08 -0500, Yousuf Khan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BBC News - Hard drive evolution could hit Microsoft XP users
>"By early 2011 all hard drives will use an "advanced format" that
>changes how they go about saving the data people store on them.
>
>The move to the advanced format will make it easier for hard drive
>makers to produce bigger drives that use less power and are more reliable.
>
>However, it might mean problems for Windows XP users who swap an old
>drive for one using the changed format. "
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8557144.stm


Is there any way to do a low-level format on an older drive so that it
now has 4K sectors?

Way, way, way back when. Floppy diskette sectors started out at 128B,
the moved to 256B. IBM pioneered 512B sectors when they brought out
the PC in 1981. Of course, with the right parameters sent to the FD
1765 controller chip, any system could read the 512B sector diskettes.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Arno
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12th Mar 2010
Andrew Hamilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:28:08 -0500, Yousuf Khan
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>>BBC News - Hard drive evolution could hit Microsoft XP users
>>"By early 2011 all hard drives will use an "advanced format" that
>>changes how they go about saving the data people store on them.
>>
>>The move to the advanced format will make it easier for hard drive
>>makers to produce bigger drives that use less power and are more reliable.
>>
>>However, it might mean problems for Windows XP users who swap an old
>>drive for one using the changed format. "
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8557144.stm


> Is there any way to do a low-level format on an older drive so that it
> now has 4K sectors?


Well, you could try that together with a firmware patch for an
old MFM drive ;-)

Seriously, no. Even while SCSI drives theoretically can do this,
in practice they just lump sectors together and emulate the larger
ones.

> Way, way, way back when. Floppy diskette sectors started out at 128B,
> the moved to 256B. IBM pioneered 512B sectors when they brought out
> the PC in 1981. Of course, with the right parameters sent to the FD
> 1765 controller chip, any system could read the 512B sector diskettes.


Floppies have stepper motors, which makes software formatting very
easy. Modern HDDs have a linear morto type that has stepless
positioning. (The mentioned MFM drives also used stepper motors.)

That means AFAIK modern HDDs cannot be formatted by themselves,
but this is either done with extra head or with positioning
support equipment only attached to the drive in manufacturing.


Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: (E-Mail Removed)
GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
----
Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Light
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12th Mar 2010
WD has a utility to align for XP.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.
 
Reply With Quote
 
JW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12th Mar 2010
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 05:44:12 -0800 Ed Light <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
Message id: <4b9a44ff$0$10555$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>WD has a utility to align for XP.


Yup, and the current version of the utility won't work on an uninitialized
drive. I had to connect it to a USB adapter and initialize it on a system
running XP before the utility would see the drive.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Yousuf Khan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12th Mar 2010
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
> Is there any way to do a low-level format on an older drive so that it
> now has 4K sectors?


The days of low-level formatting are long gone.

> Way, way, way back when. Floppy diskette sectors started out at 128B,
> the moved to 256B. IBM pioneered 512B sectors when they brought out
> the PC in 1981. Of course, with the right parameters sent to the FD
> 1765 controller chip, any system could read the 512B sector diskettes.


That's because the controllers for those devices were basically the
system's CPU itself. These days they have their own intelligence, and
it's more like a couple of peers talking over a network these days.

Yousuf Khan
 
Reply With Quote
 
DevilsPGD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12th Mar 2010
In message <4b9a44ff$0$10555$(E-Mail Removed)> Ed Light
<(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:

>WD has a utility to align for XP.


That will work for the first generation 4KB drives that emulate 512byte
sectors, but not once 4KB comes out in native mode.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rod Speed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      13th Mar 2010
Andrew Hamilton wrote
> Yousuf Khan<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote


>> BBC News - Hard drive evolution could hit Microsoft XP users
>> "By early 2011 all hard drives will use an "advanced format" that
>> changes how they go about saving the data people store on them.


>> The move to the advanced format will make it easier for hard drive makers
>> to produce bigger drives that use less power and are more reliable.


>> However, it might mean problems for Windows XP users
>> who swap an old drive for one using the changed format. "
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8557144.stm


No reason why it cant use standard 512 byte LBAs to the system its connected to.

> Is there any way to do a low-level format on
> an older drive so that it now has 4K sectors?


Nope, not with standard ATA and SATA drives.

> Way, way, way back when. Floppy diskette sectors started out at 128B,
> the moved to 256B. IBM pioneered 512B sectors when they brought out
> the PC in 1981. Of course, with the right parameters sent to the FD
> 1765 controller chip, any system could read the 512B sector diskettes.


There is no separate controller with hard drives, that functionality is on the drive itself.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rod Speed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      13th Mar 2010
DevilsPGD wrote:
> Ed Light <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote


>> WD has a utility to align for XP.


> That will work for the first generation 4KB drives that emulate
> 512byte sectors, but not once 4KB comes out in native mode.


You dont know that they wont be able to appear to have
512 byte sectors but just have those as part of 4K sectors.

Its perfectly possible for the drive to look like its got 512 byte sectors but actually has 4K sectors on the platters.


 
Reply With Quote
 
calypso@fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      13th Mar 2010
Andrew Hamilton <(E-Mail Removed)> kenjka:
> Is there any way to do a low-level format on an older drive so that it
> now has 4K sectors?


Yup... Try SCSITool...

But, note that I did this once and it somehow lowered the visible capacity
of a drive, I believe it has something to do with counting blocks in Windows
because Windows know to work with 512 byte drives only...

--
Rukometas gladi slomljen Djedicao njise ispod mosta popodne.
By runf

Damir Lukic, (E-Mail Removed)
http://inovator.blog.hr
http://calypso-innovations.blogspot.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Last and Final Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community Microsoft Windows 2000 Active Directory 1 10th Oct 2010 08:23 PM
Last and Final Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community Microsoft ASP .NET 0 9th Oct 2010 11:55 PM
Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community Microsoft Windows 2000 Active Directory 0 4th Oct 2010 06:18 PM
Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community Microsoft ASP .NET 0 1st Oct 2010 06:08 PM
Data Import: From Microsoft Outlook (2003 Beta) to Ximian Evolution (1.2.2-5) - Calendar & Contact info Blasney Microsoft Outlook Discussion 3 30th Sep 2006 03:12 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:40 PM.