Hard drive bling

Folkert Rienstra

      20th Jan 2006
"Rob Stow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)
> hackbox.info wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:39:36 +0100, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04
> > <@aol.com>> wrote:

> > > http://voodoopc.blogspot.com/2006/01...nnovative.html
> > >
> > > Thanks!!!! You guys just keep proving my point that SATA drives are only

> > one but - Raptor is a PATA drive with PATA2SATA converter
> >

> I thought I read in one of the reviews that the 150 GB Raptors
> have a native SATA controller ?

So the PATA to SATA convertor is integrated in the black LSI chip,
so what.

SATA is PATA with a serializer in front of it.

Somewhere along the line things have to go to parallel, even if you dump
the whole PATA idea, so why bother.
The difference with integrated SATA is that PATA transceivers can be
passed over and control lines connected directly without the extra need
for SATA to PATA conversion protocol (is it an IN or OUT command, etc.)
and no need to setup the PATA interface, to begin with.

Rita Berkowitz

      20th Jan 2006
Rob Stow wrote:

> I thought I read in one of the reviews that the 150 GB Raptors
> have a native SATA controller ?

<http://www.westerndigital.com/en/index.asp?Language=en>

<http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=189>

Rita

hackbox.info

      20th Jan 2006
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:46:10 +0100, Rob Stow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> hackbox.info wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:39:36 +0100, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04
>> <@aol.com>> wrote:

>>> http://voodoopc.blogspot.com/2006/01...nnovative.html
>>>
>>> Thanks!!!! You guys just keep proving my point that SATA drives are
>>> only

>> one but - Raptor is a PATA drive with PATA2SATA converter
>>

> I thought I read in one of the reviews that the 150 GB Raptors have a
> native SATA controller ?

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:S...D1500ADFD+pata

my bad

--
I really have no idea what this means. And since I can't install linux on
it, I'm gonna go back to surfing pr0n.

daytripper

      21st Jan 2006
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:53:10 +0100, "Folkert Rienstra" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:43d10110$(E-Mail Removed)-lp.com
>> A transparent hard disk body?
>>
>> "Western Digital: Clearly Innovative"
>> http://voodoopc.blogspot.com/2006/01...nnovative.html

>A bit late.
>IBM DFHS Enterprise SCSI harddrives had this more than 10 years ago.
>
>And, no Bigotowitz, they didn't have the blue LEDs.

Earlier than that. The hard drive (code name "Piccolo") used in the service
processor for the IBM 308X mainframe family used a clear case, exposing
virtually everything within. That would have been around 1982. At the time the
head actuator used on this drive was quite novel and seeing it at work was
spellbinding...

But no blue LEDs ;-)

/daytripper

Rita Berkowitz

      21st Jan 2006
daytripper wrote:

> Earlier than that. The hard drive (code name "Piccolo") used in the
> service processor for the IBM 308X mainframe family used a clear
> case, exposing virtually everything within. That would have been
> around 1982. At the time the head actuator used on this drive was
> quite novel and seeing it at work was spellbinding...

They had some interesting drives back then.

The old IBM DFHS drives I remember and numbnuts is referring to are 4GB and
smaller never had a clear case. Oh, though they were labeled IBM and had
IBM firmware they were made by Seagate. Maybe it was that other
manufacturer that made them with a clear case?

> But no blue LEDs ;-)

Nope! Nor did they have the abortion known as SATA back then either.

Rita

Rita Berkowitz

      21st Jan 2006
Folkert Rienstra wrote:

> A bit late.
> IBM DFHS Enterprise SCSI harddrives had this more than 10 years ago.
>
> And, no Bigotowitz, they didn't have the blue LEDs.

I think maybe you are mistaken as you normally are since this DFHS doesn't
have a clear cover. I dug one out of the junk box just for you.

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/eBay/DFHS.jpg

Rita

Del Cecchi

      21st Jan 2006

"daytripper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:53:10 +0100, "Folkert Rienstra"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>"Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:43d10110$(E-Mail Removed)-lp.com
>>> A transparent hard disk body?
>>>
>>> "Western Digital: Clearly Innovative"
>>> http://voodoopc.blogspot.com/2006/01...nnovative.html

>>A bit late.
>>IBM DFHS Enterprise SCSI harddrives had this more than 10 years ago.
>>
>>And, no Bigotowitz, they didn't have the blue LEDs.

> Earlier than that. The hard drive (code name "Piccolo") used in the
> service
> processor for the IBM 308X mainframe family used a clear case, exposing
> virtually everything within. That would have been around 1982. At the
> time the
> head actuator used on this drive was quite novel and seeing it at work
> was
> spellbinding...
>
> But no blue LEDs ;-)
>
> /daytripper

Actually Piccolo was also used in midrange systems like system/38 and
system/36. We used to have one we used to hold the door of the
conference room open. Took it to a technology fair. I could hardly lift
it. Those things were heavy.

del cecchi

Peter

      21st Jan 2006
> > Earlier than that. The hard drive (code name "Piccolo") used in the
> > service
> > processor for the IBM 308X mainframe family used a clear case, exposing
> > virtually everything within. That would have been around 1982. At the
> > time the
> > head actuator used on this drive was quite novel and seeing it at work
> > was
> > spellbinding...
> >
> > But no blue LEDs ;-)
> >
> > /daytripper

> Actually Piccolo was also used in midrange systems like system/38 and
> system/36. We used to have one we used to hold the door of the
> conference room open. Took it to a technology fair. I could hardly lift
> it. Those things were heavy.
>
> del cecchi

That must be it:
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/ex...rage_3310.html

Yousuf Khan

      21st Jan 2006
Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> A bit late.
> IBM DFHS Enterprise SCSI harddrives had this more than 10 years ago.

Those were the big ones inside a round spindle case that you used to
drop into a mechanism somewhat like a car CD-changer right?

Yousuf Khan

daytripper

      21st Jan 2006
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:08:57 -0500, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Earlier than that. The hard drive (code name "Piccolo") used in the
>> > service
>> > processor for the IBM 308X mainframe family used a clear case, exposing
>> > virtually everything within. That would have been around 1982. At the
>> > time the
>> > head actuator used on this drive was quite novel and seeing it at work
>> > was
>> > spellbinding...
>> >
>> > But no blue LEDs ;-)
>> >
>> > /daytripper

>> Actually Piccolo was also used in midrange systems like system/38 and
>> system/36. We used to have one we used to hold the door of the
>> conference room open. Took it to a technology fair. I could hardly lift
>> it. Those things were heavy.
>>
>> del cecchi

>That must be it:
>http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/ex...rage_3310.html

Nah. This was quite a small drive - from memory, the platters were around 6
inches across. It was bolted inside to the frame about a foot off the floor
pan, and it was no biggie to heft one...

/daytripper