Hard disk physical sector size

guru

      1st Jun 2006
Hi all,

Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
size.

Thanks & Regards

-Guru

David A.Lethe

      1st Jun 2006
On 31 May 2006 22:02:18 -0700, "guru" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
>size.
>
>Thanks & Regards
>
>-Guru

Yes.

guru

      1st Jun 2006

David A.Lethe wrote:
> On 31 May 2006 22:02:18 -0700, "guru" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
> >size.
> >
> >Thanks & Regards
> >
> >-Guru

> Yes.

Hi,

I wanted to know those methods.

I know one method..

in Linux, by calling IOCTL system call with requrest parameter
BLKSSZGET , I was able to get block size.

For CDROM it is giving 512 and for REV disk it is given 2048.

is there any other method to cross check

Regards

Guru

Arno Wagner

      1st Jun 2006
Previously guru <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,

> Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
> size.

No. The devices can lie to you. You have to look into the
documantation.

Arno

Folkert Rienstra

      1st Jun 2006
"Arno Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Previously guru <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
> > size.

> No.

> The devices can lie to you.

Rotflol.

> You have to look into the documantation.

Yes please, check the 'documantation'. The 'documantation' never lies.

Now Arnie, what if the 'documantation' says that the sector size can
be any size betweeen X and Y?

> Arno

Moojit

      4th Jun 2006
yes. download and run SCSI Utility for Windows. After scanning for devices,
hightlight the disk you're interested in and send a READ CAPACITY command
using the Menu item entries.

"guru" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
> size.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> -Guru

guru

      5th Jun 2006

Arno Wagner wrote:

> Previously guru <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
> > size.

> No. The devices can lie to you. You have to look into the
> documantation.
>
> Arno

hi,

'documentation' means... which document??

device specific documentation?

Thanks

Arno Wagner

      5th Jun 2006
Previously guru <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Arno Wagner wrote:

>> Previously guru <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Hi all,

>> > Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
>> > size.

>> No. The devices can lie to you. You have to look into the
>> documantation.
>>
>> Arno

> hi,

> 'documentation' means... which document??

> device specific documentation?

Device-specific.

Arno

Arno Wagner

      5th Jun 2006
Previously Arno Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Previously guru <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Arno Wagner wrote:

>>> No. The devices can lie to you. You have to look into the
>>> documantation.
>>>
>>> Arno

>> hi,

>> 'documentation' means... which document??

>> device specific documentation?

> Device-specific.

Some numbers true today: HDD: 512 bytes, CDROM (data!) 2048 bytes.
MOD: 512 bytes or 2048 bytes, depending on the disk, not the drive.

Arno