What is hagaki paper?

Dot Net Developer

      7th Apr 2007
Bought a new printer. One of the paper settings is Hagaki. What is
this paper? What does it look like?

Also, I have some paper that is (intentionally) not smooth. I think
it may be called parchment paper, but I'm not sure about that. My new
printer doesn't have this paper type option, but it has many others.
Anyone recommend a paper setting for this type of paper?

Thanks a lot, regards, dnw.

Dot Net Developer

      7th Apr 2007
On 7 Apr, 17:35, davy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Don't know if it's related to this guy and the first Japanese paper
> money .... sound's about the same though, see-:
> '2-1' (http://www.imes.boj.or.jp/cm/english...ure_gra2-1.htm)
>
> Ah well, makes a change from blocked nozzles... Hey'... print some for
> us will ya' Just gotta' gi mi' 1 out of 10 for trying.
>
> Davy

I think Hagaki paper is like postcards.

William R. Walsh

      7th Apr 2007
Hi!

I've seen the terms "Hagaki" and "Japanese Postcard" used interchangeably,
so I'd guess that it is some kind of a postcard.

William

Tony

      7th Apr 2007
"Dot Net Developer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bought a new printer. One of the paper settings is Hagaki. What is
>this paper? What does it look like?
>
>Also, I have some paper that is (intentionally) not smooth. I think
>it may be called parchment paper, but I'm not sure about that. My new
>printer doesn't have this paper type option, but it has many others.
>Anyone recommend a paper setting for this type of paper?
>
>Thanks a lot, regards, dnw.

Sorry I don't know what Hagaki is but I can advise that paper with heavy
embossing can be difficult to use with laser printers, and to a lesser extent
with inkjets.
With a laser you need to select heavy card or transparency, if it works that's
fine but the toner may not correctly fuse in the troughs in the paper. If the
paper is coated you should not use it in a laser unless the packet says that it
is for laser printers otherwise you may (probably will) end up with fuser
damage.
With an inkjet you can just try to see if it works.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Jim

      7th Apr 2007

"Dot Net Developer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bought a new printer. One of the paper settings is Hagaki. What is
> this paper? What does it look like?
>
> Also, I have some paper that is (intentionally) not smooth. I think
> it may be called parchment paper, but I'm not sure about that. My new
> printer doesn't have this paper type option, but it has many others.
> Anyone recommend a paper setting for this type of paper?
>
> Thanks a lot, regards, dnw.

Don't know about it being a type of paper but it is a paper size.
It is 5.3" x 3.94".
Jim

Nicolaas Hawkins

      8th Apr 2007
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 23:29:21 +0100, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> "Dot Net Developer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bought a new printer. One of the paper settings is Hagaki. What is
>> this paper? What does it look like?
>>
>> Also, I have some paper that is (intentionally) not smooth. I think
>> it may be called parchment paper, but I'm not sure about that. My new
>> printer doesn't have this paper type option, but it has many others.
>> Anyone recommend a paper setting for this type of paper?
>>
>> Thanks a lot, regards, dnw.

> Don't know about it being a type of paper but it is a paper size.
> It is 5.3" x 3.94".
> Jim

Hagaki is a postcard with the size specified by Japan post. Normally, a
stamp and five rectangles with red line for post code area are already
printed on front side; the back of the card is blank. Stock varies from
about 180g/mē to 250g/mē. The size is about 134mm X 100mm. There is fixed
postage rate for 'Hagaki size' so if you use this size postcard you can
send a message on it at the cheapest price to anywhere in Japan.

Interestingly, the kanji characters for 'Hagaki' mean 'a leaf with a
message written on it'.

HTH

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

2007 Pricelessware CD now available. 600Mb of the best of the best in
Freeware. E-Mail me for details.

.... Home is where the 127.0.0.1 is.

Gernot Hassenpflug

      1st Oct 2010

ArtieDeNYC> Okay, I am using a Canon Pixma MP490. I had to print
ArtieDeNYC> something on the back of my business cards. An alternet
ArtieDeNYC> email address. I took a photo of my email address and
ArtieDeNYC> cropped it. Then in Hagaki setting set it to the word
ArtieDeNYC> Hagaki and printed the cards from last to first. In my
ArtieDeNYC> opinion the word means card or heavy stock. It was a
ArtieDeNYC> pain to do but it worked. I think the, last to first, is
ArtieDeNYC> the key wording! Sizing and setting was the hardest. It
ArtieDeNYC> worked for me!

Yes, hagaki is a generic postcard. There is also "inkjet hagaki" which
is much smoother cardstock and is I belive designed for photographic
quality postcard printing (new year cards and so forth). This is apart
from the photo postcard formats that also exist (but probably fall under
different media type as specified on the package reverse side, usually
given at a minimum for Epson or Canon printers).
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Pentium DualCore E2180 2GHz, Asus P5, 4GiB RAM