GUID DNS name

=?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFu?=

      5th Sep 2006
Hey Guys

Im my win 2000 domain when I tried to run DCdiag and Netdiag I came across
this error which I dont quite understand. This is my live system.

Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?

I am currently preping my domain before I update to 2003 so im trying to
make sure everything is replicating properly and working correctly. Thanks

Testing server: DC01
Starting test: Connectivity
* Active Directory LDAP Services Check
DC01's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an
IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
Although the Guid DNS name
(e3c812ce-8d96-433f-aef1-fb80c418acfd._msdcs.mydomain.com) couldn't
be
resolved, the server name (dc01.mydomain.com) resolved to the IP
address (10.0.10.10) and was pingable. Check that the IP address is
registered correctly with the DNS server.
......................... DC01 failed test Connectivity

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

      5th Sep 2006
Adrian wrote:
> Hey Guys
>
> Im my win 2000 domain when I tried to run DCdiag and Netdiag I came
> across this error which I dont quite understand. This is my live
> system.
>
> Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?
>
> I am currently preping my domain before I update to 2003 so im trying
> to make sure everything is replicating properly and working
> correctly. Thanks
>
> Testing server: DC01
> Starting test: Connectivity
> * Active Directory LDAP Services Check
> DC01's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an
> IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
> Although the Guid DNS name
> (e3c812ce-8d96-433f-aef1-fb80c418acfd._msdcs.mydomain.com)
> couldn't be
> resolved, the server name (dc01.mydomain.com) resolved to
> the IP address (10.0.10.10) and was pingable. Check that
> the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS server.
> ......................... DC01 failed test Connectivity

Make sure there are no external DNS servers listed in TCP/IP properties.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

=?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFu?=

      5th Sep 2006
Kevin,

Thanks I remember we have 1 external DNS server in the Config, something
158.x.x.x range (At home now so cant check)

To be honest Im not quite sure why it was in the first place but I was told
that it was incase the other two DNS servers went down??

I will check tomorrow either way.

Kind Regards,

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> Adrian wrote:
> > Hey Guys
> >
> > Im my win 2000 domain when I tried to run DCdiag and Netdiag I came
> > across this error which I dont quite understand. This is my live
> > system.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?
> >
> > I am currently preping my domain before I update to 2003 so im trying
> > to make sure everything is replicating properly and working
> > correctly. Thanks
> >
> > Testing server: DC01
> > Starting test: Connectivity
> > * Active Directory LDAP Services Check
> > DC01's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an
> > IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
> > Although the Guid DNS name
> > (e3c812ce-8d96-433f-aef1-fb80c418acfd._msdcs.mydomain.com)
> > couldn't be
> > resolved, the server name (dc01.mydomain.com) resolved to
> > the IP address (10.0.10.10) and was pingable. Check that
> > the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS server.
> > ......................... DC01 failed test Connectivity

> Make sure there are no external DNS servers listed in TCP/IP properties.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> http://support.wftx.us/
> http://message.wftx.us/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

=?Utf-8?B?VEZDIFVLIElU?=

      13th Sep 2006
I might be teaching granny to suck eggs... but if you set your DNS servers
with local address and in the dns mmc hightlight your primary dns server,
right click it and go to properties, click the Forwarders tab and set the
external dns servers in there.

Hope this helps.

"Adrian" wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Thanks I remember we have 1 external DNS server in the Config, something
> 158.x.x.x range (At home now so cant check)
>
> To be honest Im not quite sure why it was in the first place but I was told
> that it was incase the other two DNS servers went down??
>
> I will check tomorrow either way.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Adrian wrote:
> > > Hey Guys
> > >
> > > Im my win 2000 domain when I tried to run DCdiag and Netdiag I came
> > > across this error which I dont quite understand. This is my live
> > > system.
> > >
> > > Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?
> > >
> > > I am currently preping my domain before I update to 2003 so im trying
> > > to make sure everything is replicating properly and working
> > > correctly. Thanks
> > >
> > > Testing server: DC01
> > > Starting test: Connectivity
> > > * Active Directory LDAP Services Check
> > > DC01's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an
> > > IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
> > > Although the Guid DNS name
> > > (e3c812ce-8d96-433f-aef1-fb80c418acfd._msdcs.mydomain.com)
> > > couldn't be
> > > resolved, the server name (dc01.mydomain.com) resolved to
> > > the IP address (10.0.10.10) and was pingable. Check that
> > > the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS server.
> > > ......................... DC01 failed test Connectivity

> > Make sure there are no external DNS servers listed in TCP/IP properties.
> >

> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> > Hope This Helps
> > ===================================
> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
> > via your newsreader so that others may learn and
> > benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
> > me remove the nospam. from my email address.
> > ===================================
> > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> > http://support.wftx.us/
> > http://message.wftx.us/
> > ===================================
> > Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> > It will strip signature out and more
> > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
> > with OEBackup:
> > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

mispol

      25th Sep 2009
Add CNAME dns record:
e3c812ce-8d96-433f-aef1-fb80c418acfd._msdcs.mydomain.com for
dc01.mydomain.com and restart system.