Group Policy to disable use or install or MS Anti-spyware?

Jamie

      25th Feb 2005
I require some assistance in forcing all of our users to
NOT use the anti-spyware software and to NOT have the
ability to install it. Unfortunately our users have
complete controll over their PC's (local admin rights) and
that is not going to change. Has anyone played around at
all with this or is there any documentation anywhere?

Thanks in Advance,

Jamie

Bill Sanderson

      25th Feb 2005
You should be able to lock out the ability to install the application, via
group policy, but I haven't done more than briefly experiment with this
facility, and suspect that in your environment it can be circumvented. It
might help, though..

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/...8144/8144.html

is a general overview of group policy.

This article appears to directly answer the question you have:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...hreadID=110760

I don't believe you can prevent your users from circumventing these policies
in your current situation, but it will take some effort on their part.
Perhaps now is the time to try to ensure that there are some genuine teeth
to your most important IT policies--so that it is clear that violations have
some significant consequences?

--
FAQ for Microsoft Antispyware:

"Jamie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:05dc01c51b50$c20c8060$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I require some assistance in forcing all of our users to
> NOT use the anti-spyware software and to NOT have the
> ability to install it. Unfortunately our users have
> complete controll over their PC's (local admin rights) and
> that is not going to change. Has anyone played around at
> all with this or is there any documentation anywhere?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Jamie

JohnF.

      25th Feb 2005
If you are using Windows 2003 Server and your clients are using Windows XP,
here is the info you need:

JohnF.

"Jamie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:05dc01c51b50$c20c8060$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I require some assistance in forcing all of our users to
> NOT use the anti-spyware software and to NOT have the
> ability to install it. Unfortunately our users have
> complete controll over their PC's (local admin rights) and
> that is not going to change. Has anyone played around at
> all with this or is there any documentation anywhere?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Jamie

Jose Natal

      28th Feb 2005

a group or groups, you can use a GPO and under User
Configuration-System, select the "Don't Run Specified
Windows Applications" and build a list containing the
executable for it. This way, users who have installed it
or try to install it will be blocked from running it.