Green double-underline hyperlinks...?

      21st Nov 2003
What are these green double-underline hyperlinks I see on webpages? When
I hover over them, they show info for that word and have no relation to
the actual (real) hyperlink. Seems they are ad related, but I didn't
find anything in a search about them.
Anyone care to shed some light on this?

PA Bear

      21st Nov 2003
For example...?
--
HTH...Please post back to this thread

~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

Protect Your PC

wrote:
>> What are these green double-underline hyperlinks I see on webpages? When
>> I hover over them, they show info for that word and have no relation to
>> the actual (real) hyperlink. Seems they are ad related, but I didn't
>> find anything in a search about them.
>> Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

      21st Nov 2003
"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fbd49c8$0$57792$(E-Mail Removed)
> What are these green double-underline hyperlinks I see on webpages?
> When I hover over them, they show info for that word and have no
> relation to the actual (real) hyperlink. Seems they are ad related,
> but I didn't find anything in a search about them.
> Anyone care to shed some light on this?

First eliminate any scumware.
See
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each need to be updated before every use, even when just
downloaded.

If trying everything at that site does not fix the problem please post back
in the same thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

      23rd Nov 2003
PA Bear wrote:
> For example...?

Sorry for delay in replying - I couldn't remember where.
Here is an example (I get):
http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4342.html
I have tried SpyBot and it says I don't have anything needing foxing
(using latest version!).
End of sentence starting with "Yellow computing have released..." is
Sony Ericsson. "Sony" is underlined in green for me.
Same again for sentence starting with "MMS Cam alows..." "SMS Message"
is underlined in green.
ANyone else get this?

Mike Burgess

      23rd Nov 2003
,
Internet Options | General [tab] | Accessibility [button]
Anything checked there? (by default all 4 options are unchecked)
Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 11-23-03]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fc0d0e9$0$64734$(E-Mail Removed)...
> PA Bear wrote:
> > For example...?

> Sorry for delay in replying - I couldn't remember where.
> Here is an example (I get):
> http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4342.html
> I have tried SpyBot and it says I don't have anything needing foxing
> (using latest version!).
> End of sentence starting with "Yellow computing have released..." is
> Sony Ericsson. "Sony" is underlined in green for me.
> Same again for sentence starting with "MMS Cam alows..." "SMS Message"
> is underlined in green.
> ANyone else get this?

      24th Nov 2003
Mike Burgess wrote:
> ,
> Internet Options | General [tab] | Accessibility [button]
> Anything checked there? (by default all 4 options are unchecked)

Nope - all clear!

      24th Nov 2003
wrote:
> Same again for sentence starting with "MMS Cam alows..." "SMS Message"
> is underlined in green.

Now that I have gone back to that page - SMS Message is no longer
underlined but Sony still is.
Hmmn... something weird here!

PA Bear

      24th Nov 2003
Check your system for "hijackware".

Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm#tshoot
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

I highly recommend using HijackThis
(http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip) to identify and
assist in the removal of these bad guys. **Post your files to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/, not here.**

Also update your virus definitions and then run a full system scan. From
now on, do both daily.
--

wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Same again for sentence starting with "MMS Cam alows..." "SMS Message"
>>> is underlined in green.

>> Now that I have gone back to that page - SMS Message is no longer
>> underlined but Sony still is.
>> Hmmn... something weird here!

      24th Nov 2003
PA Bear wrote:
> Check your system for "hijackware".
>
> Dealing with Hijackware
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm#tshoot
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Thanks for the links - I am seem to be uninfected so I tried using an
alternate browser to Avant Browser and tried it on IE6 (normal) and the
links have gone. Now to find the culprit inside AB!

Michael D. Henderson

      27th Nov 2003
They are SmartTags built into the webpage. Not spyware.

--
Michael Henderson
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Remove 'goduke', if not spam