GPO Workaround for Roaming Profiles Exclude %Appdata%?

The Flying Dutchman

      7th Jul 2007
Dear Colleagues,

We all know that the C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data
directory can get ultra top-heavy and dragging them along from machine to
machine in a roaming profile environment can cause massive amounts of
traffic.

We also know that through a simple GPO you can exclude certain directories
in your roaming profile which are known to get top heavy. This is all good,
but what do you do when you encounter the following in an enterprise
environment with 20K plus users?

The C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data is set by
corporate policy to not roam with the users. The reasoning for this is
because, worldwide, there are a lot of applications and it would be
impractical to create a list for each and every application to be excluded.

The question here is, does anybody know of an .ADM file or registry tweak
which will say something along the lines of. . .

"Exclude all of the directories that are contained in C:\Documents and
Settings\%username%\Application Data, BUT, make an EXCEPTION for
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Program_That_Needs_It"

Any assistance with regards to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dutch

Richard Giagnacovo

      7th Jul 2007
Have you considered using folder redirection on users Application Data
folders instead of excluding them altogether?