Google problem - no website configured?

Angela

      18th Oct 2003
I think I'm getting out of my depth here!

At c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc.
all I can see is: hosts - lmhosts - networks - protocol -
services

There's nothing that appears to be related to Google.

What happens if I delete the hosts and/or lmhosts files?

Angela

ur
>host file in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc in XP Pro. and
>c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Delete any entries for
>google.com and its ip address (some numbers written in
>front of it)in there, or u can also delete the host file
>itself, from there. It should solve the issue.

at
>>this address>
>>
>>Is this a problem with security settings or anti-virus
>>software, or what?
>>
>>I have Windows XP Home Edition with updates and am using
>>PC-cillin anti-virus, recently updated.
>>

>>Angela
>>

>>.
>>

>.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

      18th Oct 2003
Angela,

You should open the HOSTS file in Notepad to edit it. You can rename it,
rather than delete it, and the information in it won't be used. The same
for LMHOSTS

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

"Angela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:00f001c395b0$3eeba840$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I think I'm getting out of my depth here!
>
> At c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc.
> all I can see is: hosts - lmhosts - networks - protocol -
> services
>
> There's nothing that appears to be related to Google.
>
> What happens if I delete the hosts and/or lmhosts files?
>
> Angela

hp-pris@vcustomer.net

      18th Oct 2003
Well Just remove the hosts file, because it will most
probably will nerver be used by u in future. Same with the
the LMHost file.

Prityush

      18th Oct 2003
Just delete or rename thing hosts file
-Prityush

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      18th Oct 2003
If this is qhosts, it's put another hosts file in the system and repointed
the registry at it. Hence my suggestion to look at the qhosts removal
instructions from the symantec site.

Prityush wrote:
> Angela, Before doing anyhting just go ahead and cleanup ur
> host file in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc in XP Pro. and
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Delete any entries for
> google.com and its ip address (some numbers written in
> front of it)in there, or u can also delete the host file
> itself, from there. It should solve the issue.

Angela

      19th Oct 2003
Do you mean <hosts> or <lmhosts> or both?
(I'm scared to just delete files that appear to have been
there since the computer was first setup).
<lmhosts> is a SAM file. Can you tell me what that means?

Angela

Angela

      19th Oct 2003
I managed to open both these files with Notepad and found
no reference to Google in either of them.

I renamed them.
Rebooted the computer including unplugging the modem for a
couple of minutes but I STILL get the error message <There
is no website configured at this address> when I try to
access Google search engine (google.com or google.ca)

Angela

Angela

      19th Oct 2003
I get an error message saying <There is no website
configured at this address>

Angela

David Harvard

      19th Oct 2003

Greeting Angela,

Prityush is correct, just delete the hosts, lmhosts and
any flle that has hosts.

regards
David Harvard
(E-Mail Removed)

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      20th Oct 2003
Did you read what I wrote about qhosts? If you have it, it uses another
hosts file. Do a search for "hosts" and see what you find.