Google problem - no website configured?

Angela

      18th Oct 2003
Can anyone help me to get back to Google search engine.
I can get all the other Google sites (Directory, Groups,
News, etc) but CANNOT access the search engine.

The error message says <there is no website configured at
this address>

Is this a problem with security settings or anti-virus
software, or what?

I have Windows XP Home Edition with updates and am using
PC-cillin anti-virus, recently updated.

Angela

Linda

      18th Oct 2003
What happens when you type google.com and click search in
the address bar at the top of Internet Explorer?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      18th Oct 2003
Can you go to other search sites? If not, you may have the QHOSTS trojan. If
you ping www.google.com, what IP address do you get in reply?

See
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...an.qhosts.html

Angela wrote:
> Can anyone help me to get back to Google search engine.
> I can get all the other Google sites (Directory, Groups,
> News, etc) but CANNOT access the search engine.
>
> The error message says <there is no website configured at
> this address>
>
> Is this a problem with security settings or anti-virus
> software, or what?
>
> I have Windows XP Home Edition with updates and am using
> PC-cillin anti-virus, recently updated.
>

> Angela

      18th Oct 2003
Thanks for the response.

I get the <this page cannot be found> message.

Angela

      18th Oct 2003
I can get other sites, Alta Vista.ca is working but not
altavista.com (same error message). Can get Excite but not
Ask Jeeges (same error message)

I am learing fast but don't yet know how to Ping.
Can you tell me how to do that?

Angela

ojan.qhosts.html

>Angela wrote:
>> Can anyone help me to get back to Google search engine.
>> I can get all the other Google sites (Directory, Groups,
>> News, etc) but CANNOT access the search engine.
>>
>> The error message says <there is no website configured

at
>> this address>
>>
>> Is this a problem with security settings or anti-virus
>> software, or what?
>>
>> I have Windows XP Home Edition with updates and am using
>> PC-cillin anti-virus, recently updated.
>>

>> Angela

>.

GoumbaYa

      18th Oct 2003
Sounds like your hostfile has been modified. Could be spyware or a pop-up
blocker. Do you have any installed?

"Angela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:012501c395a0$36bd0890$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone help me to get back to Google search engine.
> I can get all the other Google sites (Directory, Groups,
> News, etc) but CANNOT access the search engine.
>
> The error message says <there is no website configured at
> this address>
>
> Is this a problem with security settings or anti-virus
> software, or what?
>
> I have Windows XP Home Edition with updates and am using
> PC-cillin anti-virus, recently updated.
>

> Angela

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      18th Oct 2003
Go to start | run
Type cmd
Hit enter

In the command prompt, type

ping www.google.com

and hit enter.

It should give you an IP address even if it doesn't reply.

I think you do have QHOSTS. Did you check out the Symantec link I gave you?

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I can get other sites, Alta Vista.ca is working but not
> altavista.com (same error message). Can get Excite but not
> Ask Jeeges (same error message)
>
> I am learing fast but don't yet know how to Ping.
> Can you tell me how to do that?
>
> Angela

Angela

      18th Oct 2003
I have AdAware which I had neglected to update until today.
Is that a Pop-up blocker - I don't think it can be because
I get a lot of pop-ups.

Angela

Angela

      18th Oct 2003
I did the ping
IP address it gave me is 207.44.220.30

Yes, I looked at Symantec and downloaded the q828750
security patch.

When I tried to install it I got a message saying that
Internet Explorer 6 needs to be installed...it IS, that's
the edition of IE that I am using.

And then I discovered that q828750 is already on my
computer (I get regular updates from microsoft).

Angela

Prityush

      18th Oct 2003
Angela, Before doing anyhting just go ahead and cleanup ur
host file in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc in XP Pro. and
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Delete any entries for
google.com and its ip address (some numbers written in
front of it)in there, or u can also delete the host file
itself, from there. It should solve the issue.