goal seek minimize function

=?Utf-8?B?VGFpd2FuU3dlZGU=?=

      18th Sep 2006
I would like to optimize shipment sizes by taking both shipment and storage
costs into account.

I would like to use the goal seek function to minimize the value in a
certain cell (total cost) by changing another the value in another cell
(shipment size).

However, I have found that the goal seek function is set up in such a way so
that the value in the goal seek cell is set to a certain value and that there
is no way to minimize that value. Did I miss anything? Or I should just set
value to zero to minimize it.

Dana DeLouis

      18th Sep 2006
> I would like to use the goal seek function to minimize the value in a
> certain cell (total cost)

Hi. It sounds like Excel's "Solver" would be a better tool. It's an
Add-Inn, so first enable it via Tools > Add-Ins.. > Solver.
Then run it with Tools > Solver...
Hope this helps. Post back if you have any questions on Solver. :>)

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Office 2003

"TaiwanSwede" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to optimize shipment sizes by taking both shipment and storage
> costs into account.
>
> I would like to use the goal seek function to minimize the value in a
> certain cell (total cost) by changing another the value in another cell
> (shipment size).
>
> However, I have found that the goal seek function is set up in such a way
> so
> that the value in the goal seek cell is set to a certain value and that
> there
> is no way to minimize that value. Did I miss anything? Or I should just
> set
> value to zero to minimize it.

Dana DeLouis

      18th Sep 2006
> I would like to use the goal seek function to minimize the value in a
> certain cell (total cost)

Hi. It sounds like Excel's "Solver" would be a better tool. It's an
Add-Inn, so first enable it via Tools > Add-Ins.. > Solver.
Then run it with Tools > Solver...
Hope this helps. Post back if you have any questions on Solver. :>)

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Office 2003

"TaiwanSwede" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to optimize shipment sizes by taking both shipment and storage
> costs into account.
>
> I would like to use the goal seek function to minimize the value in a
> certain cell (total cost) by changing another the value in another cell
> (shipment size).
>
> However, I have found that the goal seek function is set up in such a way
> so
> that the value in the goal seek cell is set to a certain value and that
> there
> is no way to minimize that value. Did I miss anything? Or I should just
> set
> value to zero to minimize it.

=?Utf-8?B?VGFpd2FuU3dlZGU=?=

      19th Sep 2006
Seems that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a lot Dana.