glossy and matte photo paper ink usage?

Martin somewhere@home.invalid

      27th Oct 2010
Hi
Which paper uses more ink at the same printer settings
Glossy or Matte photo paper?
--
Martin

Gernot Hassenpflug

      28th Oct 2010

somewhere> Hi Which paper uses more ink at the same printer settings
somewhere> Glossy or Matte photo paper? -- Martin ©¿©¬

I believe it depends on the printer model, and printer brand, as well as
in some cases which gloss paper is selected.

For Canon printers, I can give an example of the iP4700, where Matte
Photo Paper uses an inkset I will refer to here as PhotoHighQuality,
both for "high quality" and "standard" quality printing, with the
difference that the printer uses different quality settings (3 and 2,
respectively) for the inkset.

For gloss paper types, for the iP4700 all use the PhotoHighQuality inket
with quality setting 3 for "high quality" printing, and a different
inket which I refer to here as PhotoStandarndQuality at quality setting
2 for "standard" quality printing.

Since the PhotoStandardQuality inkset uses less ink than the
PhotoHighQuality inkset, I believe that for the iP4700 gloss papers use
less ink, but only for "standard" quality printing. At "high quality"
setting they are identical.

Inkjet Hagaki and CDs use yet a different inkset, and 3 more different
inksets are used for plain paper (1 each for "high quality", "standard"
and "fast" quality), and the "standard" one of these plain paper modes
are also used for non-photo Hagaki.

Epson printers use a different system, so I am not sure what the result
will be there. Nor am I able to say anything about HP or other brands of
printers.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Pentium DualCore E2180 2GHz, Asus P5, 4GiB RAM

Joel

      28th Oct 2010
Martin (E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:

> Hi
> Which paper uses more ink at the same printer settings
> Glossy or Matte photo paper?

In general, there is NONE paper can use more ink than what the printer can
possible deliver.

There is/are

- Util to set/reduce ink to SAVE INK

- Some paper dries quicker/slower than other.

- Some INK may not absorb quick enough on some specific PAPER. I am not
talking about few seconds but MINUTES or even HOURS. And this is my
personal experience and it happened to me probably around more/less 10 years
ago.

- Different Iik, Paper, Application may have different result. I would say
differrent setting would have different result too (that's the reason why
people setup the way they want).

IOW, it's not easy or almost impossible for anyone to give you a simple
answer for all situations/differences/combinations. You will have to try
yourself to find out what suites you the most.

MD34

      29th Oct 2010
For color handouts I use Hammermill Color Copy Gloss.
It's pretty cheap at Office Max

Rob

      31st Oct 2010
On 28/10/2010 12:09 AM, Martin (E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:
> Hi
> Which paper uses more ink at the same printer settings
> Glossy or Matte photo paper?

This is not the way to go about this. But I'm making the assumption that
you want to determine the ink density for a particular paper. A standard
test is applicable for you to determine if an increase or reduction in
ink, for a particular paper, is warranted.

You should print a chart to determine the optimal ink loading. Epson
have a chart on their site with instructions. (Virtually a grey scale
chart. Epson 360 Ink Limit Testing Chart)

The media setting in the printer driver dictates how much ink is loaded
onto the print - not necessarily what "type" of media you are using.
Therefore, changing the media setting changes the ink load. Also
adjusting the "colour density" setting in the printer driver software
can be used to increase/decrease the ink loading.