Getting rid of gradients in Windows XP theme

Mike Starr

      1st Aug 2008
I'm a technical writer and do screen captures many times each day for
documentation.

I want to customize the appearance to get rid of the gradients so that when
I do screen captures the title bar and other screen elements are all solid
colors. They print out much nicer that way. I know I can do so by selecting
the Classic theme and then customizing it but apparently there's no way to do
so with the Windows XP theme. I've been resisting the Windows XP theme
because of this but it's time to adopt it to avoid confusing folks or having
people crab about the "old" look of my documents.

Any tools for creating a custom Windows XP theme that allows me to get rid
of the gradients?

Thanks

Mike

Leonard Grey

      1st Aug 2008
I use the Windows XP theme and I must confess that I do not see any
gradients. What gradients are you referring to specifically?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est
R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)

Mike Starr wrote:
> I'm a technical writer and do screen captures many times each day for
> documentation.
>
> I want to customize the appearance to get rid of the gradients so that when
> I do screen captures the title bar and other screen elements are all solid
> colors. They print out much nicer that way. I know I can do so by selecting
> the Classic theme and then customizing it but apparently there's no way to do
> so with the Windows XP theme. I've been resisting the Windows XP theme
> because of this but it's time to adopt it to avoid confusing folks or having
> people crab about the "old" look of my documents.
>
> Any tools for creating a custom Windows XP theme that allows me to get rid
> of the gradients?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

Mike Starr

      1st Aug 2008
The title bar is multiple shades of blue; the maximize, minimize, and restore
buttons are multiple shades of blue, the close button is multiple shades of
red.

Mike

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> I use the Windows XP theme and I must confess that I do not see any
> gradients. What gradients are you referring to specifically?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
> R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)
>
> Mike Starr wrote:
> > I'm a technical writer and do screen captures many times each day for
> > documentation.
> >
> > I want to customize the appearance to get rid of the gradients so that when
> > I do screen captures the title bar and other screen elements are all solid
> > colors. They print out much nicer that way. I know I can do so by selecting
> > the Classic theme and then customizing it but apparently there's no way to do
> > so with the Windows XP theme. I've been resisting the Windows XP theme
> > because of this but it's time to adopt it to avoid confusing folks or having
> > people crab about the "old" look of my documents.
> >
> > Any tools for creating a custom Windows XP theme that allows me to get rid
> > of the gradients?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mike

Leonard Grey

      1st Aug 2008
I beg your pardon, but I see none of that. Like I said, I use the
Windows XP theme (at work and at home). My title bars are solid blue (or
silver or olive, depending on my mood), and the max/min/close buttons
are also solid. No gradients.

It occurs to me that you may be referring to the way graphic images are
made to look more 'natural' by trying to mimic the way light falls on an
object. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but if you remember how
'flat' kid's cartoons looked 30 years ago compared to how they look now,
you know what I mean.

To get rid of the lighting effect you have to reduce your color depth.
Changing to 16-bit color ought to do it, but you will also lose
considerable image detail. Failing that, you'll need image editing software.
---

Mike Starr wrote:
> The title bar is multiple shades of blue; the maximize, minimize, and restore
> buttons are multiple shades of blue, the close button is multiple shades of
> red.
>
> Mike
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> I use the Windows XP theme and I must confess that I do not see any
>> gradients. What gradients are you referring to specifically?
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>> R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)
>>
>> Mike Starr wrote:
>>> I'm a technical writer and do screen captures many times each day for
>>> documentation.
>>>
>>> I want to customize the appearance to get rid of the gradients so that when
>>> I do screen captures the title bar and other screen elements are all solid
>>> colors. They print out much nicer that way. I know I can do so by selecting
>>> the Classic theme and then customizing it but apparently there's no way to do
>>> so with the Windows XP theme. I've been resisting the Windows XP theme
>>> because of this but it's time to adopt it to avoid confusing folks or having
>>> people crab about the "old" look of my documents.
>>>
>>> Any tools for creating a custom Windows XP theme that allows me to get rid
>>> of the gradients?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Mike

Mike Starr

      1st Aug 2008
That "lighting effect" is present on the title bar of windows. I'll be glad
to send you screen captures to show you what I mean. Feel free to send me
your email address offline and I'll send you some.

Mike
(E-Mail Removed)

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> I beg your pardon, but I see none of that. Like I said, I use the
> Windows XP theme (at work and at home). My title bars are solid blue (or
> silver or olive, depending on my mood), and the max/min/close buttons
> are also solid. No gradients.
>
> It occurs to me that you may be referring to the way graphic images are
> made to look more 'natural' by trying to mimic the way light falls on an
> object. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but if you remember how
> 'flat' kid's cartoons looked 30 years ago compared to how they look now,
> you know what I mean.
>
> To get rid of the lighting effect you have to reduce your color depth.
> Changing to 16-bit color ought to do it, but you will also lose
> considerable image detail. Failing that, you'll need image editing software.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
> R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)
>
> Mike Starr wrote:
> > The title bar is multiple shades of blue; the maximize, minimize, and restore
> > buttons are multiple shades of blue, the close button is multiple shades of
> > red.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> I use the Windows XP theme and I must confess that I do not see any
> >> gradients. What gradients are you referring to specifically?
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est
> >> R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)
> >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2326848,00.asp

Leonard Grey

      1st Aug 2008
You should not post your valid e-mail address unless you like receiving
spam.

It appears I have accurately described what you refer to as a gradient.
That being the case, you have my advice on the matter.
---

Mike Starr wrote:
> That "lighting effect" is present on the title bar of windows. I'll be glad
> to send you screen captures to show you what I mean. Feel free to send me
> your email address offline and I'll send you some.
>
> Mike
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> I beg your pardon, but I see none of that. Like I said, I use the
>> Windows XP theme (at work and at home). My title bars are solid blue (or
>> silver or olive, depending on my mood), and the max/min/close buttons
>> are also solid. No gradients.
>>
>> It occurs to me that you may be referring to the way graphic images are
>> made to look more 'natural' by trying to mimic the way light falls on an
>> object. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but if you remember how
>> 'flat' kid's cartoons looked 30 years ago compared to how they look now,
>> you know what I mean.
>>
>> To get rid of the lighting effect you have to reduce your color depth.
>> Changing to 16-bit color ought to do it, but you will also lose
>> considerable image detail. Failing that, you'll need image editing software.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>> R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)
>>
>> Mike Starr wrote:
>>> The title bar is multiple shades of blue; the maximize, minimize, and restore
>>> buttons are multiple shades of blue, the close button is multiple shades of
>>> red.
>>>
>>> Mike

Mike Starr

      1st Aug 2008
I did so with the understanding that there's a spam potential; been using
Usenet for years now. However, since you seemed to be confused that was the
quickest way for me to offer to clarify what I meant. Sure I could have
munged my email address but I no longer feel the need to do so.

Your advice didn't answer my question... I already know how to use Paint
Shop Pro to edit my screen captures. However, if I use the Windows Classic
style, I can save those steps because I can configure it to completely
eliminate the gradients, thus saving me an enormous amount of time and
effort. What I want to do is adopt the Windows XP style and also eliminate
the gradients.

Thanks anyway,

Mike

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> You should not post your valid e-mail address unless you like receiving
> spam.
>
> It appears I have accurately described what you refer to as a gradient.
> That being the case, you have my advice on the matter.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
> R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)
>
> Mike Starr wrote:
> > That "lighting effect" is present on the title bar of windows. I'll be glad
> > to send you screen captures to show you what I mean. Feel free to send me
> > your email address offline and I'll send you some.
> >
> > Mike
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> I beg your pardon, but I see none of that. Like I said, I use the
> >> Windows XP theme (at work and at home). My title bars are solid blue (or
> >> silver or olive, depending on my mood), and the max/min/close buttons
> >> are also solid. No gradients.
> >>
> >> It occurs to me that you may be referring to the way graphic images are
> >> made to look more 'natural' by trying to mimic the way light falls on an
> >> object. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but if you remember how
> >> 'flat' kid's cartoons looked 30 years ago compared to how they look now,
> >> you know what I mean.
> >>
> >> To get rid of the lighting effect you have to reduce your color depth.
> >> Changing to 16-bit color ought to do it, but you will also lose
> >> considerable image detail. Failing that, you'll need image editing software.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est
> >> R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)
> >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2326848,00.asp

LVTravel

      1st Aug 2008
It will take some work but it can be done. Here's one way:

Right click a blank area on your screen. Left click Properties then left
click Appearance tab. I find it easier to do what you want with Windows
Classic style so click the Windows and buttons dropdown and click Windows
Classic style. Then make sure the Color scheme is set to Windows Standard.
Once that is done click the Advanced tab. When the next window opens click
the Item: dropdown. For each item that shows two colors in the Color 1: and
Color 2: box make the Color 2 box the same color as color 1 box. There are
only two items there which are Inactive and Active title bar to change.
That will take out all of the gradient shading you are talking about.

Hope this helps, let us know.

"Mike Starr" <Mike (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm a technical writer and do screen captures many times each day for
> documentation.
>
> I want to customize the appearance to get rid of the gradients so that
> when
> I do screen captures the title bar and other screen elements are all solid
> colors. They print out much nicer that way. I know I can do so by
> selecting
> the Classic theme and then customizing it but apparently there's no way to
> do
> so with the Windows XP theme. I've been resisting the Windows XP theme
> because of this but it's time to adopt it to avoid confusing folks or
> having
> people crab about the "old" look of my documents.
>
> Any tools for creating a custom Windows XP theme that allows me to get rid
> of the gradients?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

Mike Starr

      1st Aug 2008
Thanks for the suggestion, LVTravel, but from my original post:

"LVTravel" wrote:

> It will take some work but it can be done. Here's one way:
>
> Right click a blank area on your screen. Left click Properties then left
> click Appearance tab. I find it easier to do what you want with Windows
> Classic style so click the Windows and buttons dropdown and click Windows
> Classic style. Then make sure the Color scheme is set to Windows Standard.
> Once that is done click the Advanced tab. When the next window opens click
> the Item: dropdown. For each item that shows two colors in the Color 1: and
> Color 2: box make the Color 2 box the same color as color 1 box. There are
> only two items there which are Inactive and Active title bar to change.
> That will take out all of the gradient shading you are talking about.
>

> Hope this helps, let us know.

Big_Al

      2nd Aug 2008
Leonard Grey wrote:
> I beg your pardon, but I see none of that. Like I said, I use the
> Windows XP theme (at work and at home). My title bars are solid blue (or
> silver or olive, depending on my mood), and the max/min/close buttons
> are also solid. No gradients.
>
> It occurs to me that you may be referring to the way graphic images are
> made to look more 'natural' by trying to mimic the way light falls on an
> object. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but if you remember how
> 'flat' kid's cartoons looked 30 years ago compared to how they look now,
> you know what I mean.
>
> To get rid of the lighting effect you have to reduce your color depth.
> Changing to 16-bit color ought to do it, but you will also lose
> considerable image detail. Failing that, you'll need image editing
> software.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
> R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)
>
> Mike Starr wrote:
>> The title bar is multiple shades of blue; the maximize, minimize, and
>> restore buttons are multiple shades of blue, the close button is
>> multiple shades of red.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>>
>>> I use the Windows XP theme and I must confess that I do not see any
>>> gradients. What gradients are you referring to specifically?
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est
>>> R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)
>>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2326848,00.asp

In your desktop properties, what color level do you have set for your video?

If you have it turned down to 16 colors or such it might be that simple.
Not 16 bit, but 16 colors or 256 colors maybe. If so, then you don't
have a rich enough color scale for the video card to vary the colors
from light blue to dark blue through the 1000's of colors to get from
one end to the other thus you get that blocky gradients.