Getting Rid Of Any Useless Files??

=?Utf-8?B?SGF5bmVy?=

      31st Dec 2004
Hey,
I just want to know really if there are any programmes/files that are safe
to get rid off. I just want a bit more free space on my hard drive!!
Also will freeing up any space speed my computer up?
One more thing are there any ways to speed up my PC??

R. McCarty

      31st Dec 2004
Removing Files/Folders will not speed up your PC. Before ever
undertaking "Cleanup", have an image backup of your system.
While Windows File Protection will replace any monitored files
you can still inflict damage on your system that result in it being
unbootable.

You can however scroll through the Add/Remove programs
listing and remove any applications that you do not use.
Anything you don't recognize, it's best to leave it be.

Speeding up XP is complicated and beyond normal types of
maintenance (Chkdsk, Defrag, Security scans) requires allot of
reading. There are operations like MsConfig, Service Start modes
and some other things that might make a marginal difference in the
boot-time or quiescent memory footprint. The web has thousands
of "Tips-&-Tricks" for XP but many aren't truly beneficial.
Sometimes your time, effort and expenses would be best served
by upgrading memory or CPU instead of Tweaking XP itself.
Drives are inexpensive when you consider cost per Gigabyte, so
a newer/faster/larger drive might be worth considering.

"Hayner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey,
> I just want to know really if there are any programmes/files that are safe
> to get rid off. I just want a bit more free space on my hard drive!!
> Also will freeing up any space speed my computer up?
> One more thing are there any ways to speed up my PC??

Tim Slattery

      31st Dec 2004
Hayner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey,
>I just want to know really if there are any programmes/files that are safe
>to get rid off. I just want a bit more free space on my hard drive!!

Are there applications on your machine that you're not using?

>Also will freeing up any space speed my computer up?

Maybe, a bit. Only if your disk is *really, really* full and the OS is
unable to get enough swap space. You'd probably be getting some kind
of "insufficient virtual memory" message in that case.

>One more thing are there any ways to speed up my PC??

Installing more RAM can help, especially if you run lots of programs
at the same time, or if you run RAM-hungry things like image editing,
video editing...

But the surest way to speed up your computing is to buy a faster
computer (I know that's not what you wanted to hear).

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Malke

      31st Dec 2004
Hayner wrote:

> Hey,
> I just want to know really if there are any programmes/files that are
> safe to get rid off. I just want a bit more free space on my hard
> drive!! Also will freeing up any space speed my computer up?
> One more thing are there any ways to speed up my PC??

Check here for general tips:

As for the programs and files, only you know what is on your computer.
If you see things in Add/Remove Programs and you don't know what they
are, post their names and we can help you with that.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Gary Woodruff

      31st Dec 2004
Since you are just looking for more drive space and not necessarily a faster system
you can do several things.

1. You can run Disk Cleanup from the Properties of each drive (My Computer, right
click on the Drive and select Properties) letting it do it's thing compressing files,
and identifying Temp, TIF and other files that can be safely removed. About the only
thing you can do bad in Disk Cleanup is remove the Restore files to a OS or Version
of IE you have Upgraded from. If you know you will never go back you can check them
for removal as well. Simply cleaning your system this way can often give you back a
lot of space.

2, You can remove unneeded programs in Add / Remove Programs that you recognize as
ones you seldom or never use. If you are like me you may often load programs to look
at and then not go back and get rid of them. :-)

3. You can run or use one of the Utilities more powerful then Disk Cleanup
available that identify large and or useless files. I use EasyCleaner to both clean
up my Registry and identify useless files.

http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

A heavy warning must go along with any Utility, week or strong, due to the damage
they can do. EasyCleaner has both a Skip feature to skip Registry entries with a key
word in them and a Redo file to put back what it may have removed. I have never had
to use either, but it is good that they are there. On Files to be removed a good
full backup is a must when using EasyCleaner's file removal features since you can
end up deleting files you didn't intend. I generally use EasyCleaner to just
identify possible files that are temp in nature or extremely large and only delete
those that I can "positively" identify as unneeded.

After running the above routines if you still don't have enough space either a new
larger main hard drive or a second storage drive will help. Of course replacing your
main hard drive will require reinstalling Windows and all your programs to the new
clean drive, something that would greatly increase the space on your present drive if
you reformat it, :-) so most people balk at doing that. Adding another folder to
move your photos, videos and other data type files will greatly increase your space
while not fooling with your OS installation. Just don't try to move programs by
dragging them from one drive to the other as they need to be uninstalled from the
main drive and reinstalled to the new drive if you want to move them.

If you do decide to install a new, and possibly faster, main hard drive you might
want to take a look at this article on the Microsoft Files and Settings Transfer
Wizard (F.A.S.T.). It will allow you to transfer most of your personal settings and
data files to the new drive. You will still need to install Windows and all your
programs first so it still takes a lot of time, you just save the pain of redoing any
settings you have set and it will also with the exception of your passwords also set
up your E-mail accounts including old E-mails and many other of the things we tend to
accumulate and get used to having handy.

4. If you have not been using a Defragger, you ought to be. They do some simple
compression and more efficiently store your files. Not a big space maker by no
means, but particularly if you have not been running one you might be surprises how
much better your system runs and you may even have a little more space. This is a
must after a session of cleaning up your system.
--
Gary Woodruff

"That'll be the day" - John Wayne in The Searchers

"Hayner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey,
> I just want to know really if there are any programmes/files that are safe
> to get rid off. I just want a bit more free space on my hard drive!!
> Also will freeing up any space speed my computer up?
> One more thing are there any ways to speed up my PC??

Bruce Chambers

      31st Dec 2004
Hayner wrote:
> Hey,
> I just want to know really if there are any programmes/files that are safe
> to get rid off. I just want a bit more free space on my hard drive!!
> Also will freeing up any space speed my computer up?
> One more thing are there any ways to speed up my PC??

Well, only _you_ could possibly know what unused programs and files you
have on your computer. We can't see it.

Scan your system for malware, using the latest antivirus definition
files, as well as the latest versions and definition files of both
Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
www.safer-networking.org/. Perform a disk clean-up to remove old
temporary files, etc., followed by defragging the hard drive.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Ken Blake

      31st Dec 2004
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Hayner <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

> I just want to know really if there are any programmes/files
> that are
> safe to get rid off.

Since none of us knows what programs or files you have on your
drive, and of the programs and files on your hard drive, none of
us knows which of them you use, none of us can answer that
question.

> I just want a bit more free space on my hard
> drive!!

How big is your drive, and how much free space do you have?

> Also will freeing up any space speed my computer up?

No.

> One more thing are there any ways to speed up my PC??

Almost certainly. But since you've told us nothing about it, How
to do so is another question that is very difficult to answer.

Here are a few things to consider. Each of these may or not speed
it up, depending on the current situation:

1. Add more RAM

2. Stop running any background programs which may be impacting
your performance.

3. Get rid of any spyware or other malware you have installed.

4. Defrag your drive.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Trent©

      1st Jan 2005
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:17:03 -0800, Hayner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey,
>I just want to know really if there are any programmes/files that are safe
>to get rid off. I just want a bit more free space on my hard drive!!

Go to Add/Remove programs...click on the icon for Windows
files...remove what you don't need.

>Also will freeing up any space speed my computer up?

Possibly.

>One more thing are there any ways to speed up my PC??

Yes.

Have a nice one...

Trent