getting error 0x80040201

=?Utf-8?B?cGFydHJpZGdldGQ=?=

      15th Jun 2005
new laptop, new to office 2003. In outlook - getting continuous (every 15
seconds or so) "task 'mail.adelphia.net - sending' reported error
(0x80040201) : 'unknown error' 0x80040201" . Adelphia is my email server
(cable modem). started shortly after 'installing' outlook business contact
manager.

Scott Atkins[MSFT]

      15th Jun 2005
Hi,

The problem you are experiencing most often occurs when the Outlook profile is corrupt. I recommend you use following steps to create a new profile.

Create a new Outlook profile
1. Close Outlook.
2. Click Start menu-> Control Panel. If Control Panel is not in Classic View, click Switch to Classic View, and then double-click the Mail icon.
3. Click Show Profiles and then click Add. In the New Profile dialog box, type a descriptive name for the new profile in the Profile Name box, and then click OK.
4. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click "Add a new e-mail account", and then click Next.
5. Select the appropriate server type for your e-mail account, and then click Next.
6. Fill in the appropriate information as prompted, and then click Next and Finish as needed.
7. Click the "Prompt for a profile to be used" option and click OK. This way, you will be prompted for a profile when starting Outlook.
8. Restart Outlook and select the new profile.

Test if the problem is resolved. If the problem does not exist in the new profile, you can refer to the import and export section in following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to move your
data in the old profile to the new profile. Note: This article also applies to Outlook 2003.

287070.KB.EN-US OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;287070>

Regards,

Scott Atkins MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook
Microsoft Technical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications
--------------------
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?cGFydHJpZGdldGQ=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: getting error 0x80040201
>Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:50:05 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
>
>new laptop, new to office 2003. In outlook - getting continuous (every 15
>seconds or so) "task 'mail.adelphia.net - sending' reported error
>(0x80040201) : 'unknown error' 0x80040201" . Adelphia is my email server
>(cable modem). started shortly after 'installing' outlook business contact
>manager.

=?Utf-8?B?VERQ?=

      16th Jun 2005
I'll try your approach. got one other response fm my posting - and i did
confirm i started with this pblm after bringing in my 2000 Outlook .pst
files. then Bingo. his suggestion - look in "outbox" to see what the
affending emails were - change the address... looked in the "favorate
folders" (above hte line) - no "out box". I have since put that in (it was
not there by default - computer and s/w only 3 days old). so no joy on that
approach - also 'restored' draft folder.

I did talk to my ISP (Adelphia) to make sure that Bill Gate's wording on the
above 'error msg' was not in fact flooding his server - he said no - and if
it was - they would be sending me emails to clear out the problem (which they
have not).

will get back to you if your approach (new profile) doesn't work. (I don't
anticipate having to import "legacy" 2000 .pst files again).

thanks

Dave

"Scott Atkins[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The problem you are experiencing most often occurs when the Outlook profile is corrupt. I recommend you use following steps to create a new profile.
>
> Create a new Outlook profile
> 1. Close Outlook.
> 2. Click Start menu-> Control Panel. If Control Panel is not in Classic View, click Switch to Classic View, and then double-click the Mail icon.
> 3. Click Show Profiles and then click Add. In the New Profile dialog box, type a descriptive name for the new profile in the Profile Name box, and then click OK.
> 4. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click "Add a new e-mail account", and then click Next.
> 5. Select the appropriate server type for your e-mail account, and then click Next.
> 6. Fill in the appropriate information as prompted, and then click Next and Finish as needed.
> 7. Click the "Prompt for a profile to be used" option and click OK. This way, you will be prompted for a profile when starting Outlook.
> 8. Restart Outlook and select the new profile.
>
> Test if the problem is resolved. If the problem does not exist in the new profile, you can refer to the import and export section in following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to move your
> data in the old profile to the new profile. Note: This article also applies to Outlook 2003.
>
> 287070.KB.EN-US OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
> <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;287070>
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Atkins MCSE, MCSA
> Partner Technical Lead - Outlook
> Microsoft Technical Support
> for Platforms and Business Applications
> --------------------
> >From: "=?Utf-8?B?cGFydHJpZGdldGQ=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >Subject: getting error 0x80040201
> >Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:50:05 -0700
> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
> >
> >new laptop, new to office 2003. In outlook - getting continuous (every 15
> >seconds or so) "task 'mail.adelphia.net - sending' reported error
> >(0x80040201) : 'unknown error' 0x80040201" . Adelphia is my email server
> >(cable modem). started shortly after 'installing' outlook business contact
> >manager.

New Member

      3rd May 2006
I tried all suggestions, but it didn't work for me. What I found was that Outlook still had some Exchange adresses in ' it's memory' and the message to be sent included an exchange adress, whereas exchange was not being used anymore.

This could happen on systems which have used Exchange but have changed back to POP3 E-mail delivery.
Checking the to-be-sent messages is the key, remove the adresses that are exchange adresses and substitute them with the real POP E-mail adresses.

Kind regards,

Martijn Arns
Brainquiry / Brain Resource Company
Netherlands
www.eegbiofeedback.nl / www.brainquiry.nl

New Member

      16th Jan 2007
Thanks, Scott!

Your fix worked perfectly even with the new Outlook 2007!

Best regards!

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Atkins[MSFT]
Hi,

The problem you are experiencing most often occurs when the Outlook profile is corrupt. I recommend you use following steps to create a new profile.

Create a new Outlook profile
1. Close Outlook.
2. Click Start menu-> Control Panel. If Control Panel is not in Classic View, click Switch to Classic View, and then double-click the Mail icon.
3. Click Show Profiles and then click Add. In the New Profile dialog box, type a descriptive name for the new profile in the Profile Name box, and then click OK.
4. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click "Add a new e-mail account", and then click Next.
5. Select the appropriate server type for your e-mail account, and then click Next.
6. Fill in the appropriate information as prompted, and then click Next and Finish as needed.
7. Click the "Prompt for a profile to be used" option and click OK. This way, you will be prompted for a profile when starting Outlook.
8. Restart Outlook and select the new profile.

Test if the problem is resolved. If the problem does not exist in the new profile, you can refer to the import and export section in following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to move your
data in the old profile to the new profile. Note: This article also applies to Outlook 2003.

287070.KB.EN-US OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data

Regards,

Scott Atkins MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook
Microsoft Technical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications
--------------------
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?cGFydHJpZGdldGQ=?="
>Subject: getting error 0x80040201
>Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:50:05 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
>
>new laptop, new to office 2003. In outlook - getting continuous (every 15
>seconds or so) "task 'mail.adelphia.net - sending' reported error
>(0x80040201) : 'unknown error' 0x80040201" . Adelphia is my email server
>(cable modem). started shortly after 'installing' outlook business contact
>manager.

New Member

      22nd Jan 2008
I found problems in the addresses of the receipients of the email (in the contact manager) to cause this error. Specifically a person was listed three times in the address book and the email address was not a working one. I deleted the offending address (in this case a cc) and entered the correct address and the mail was sent.

Hope this helps someone else.

mtn2top

New Member

      8th Apr 2008
I had this error after first using on notebook an exchange account, and then switching to pop3/smtp.

Error 0x80040201 in Outlook appeared after trying to send new mail to SOME of recipients! I suppose, that were recipients, who already recieved some mail while I was using EXCHANGE account to send them.

NOTE: I have no addresses in my outlook adressbook! But while creating new mail and typing some email address Outlook get it from, IMHO, send folder =) I.e. mail sent over exchange accout!

NOTE2: You are able to view some properties by right-button-clicking on address (name) in the "TO:" field. When I did this, I recieved in one case and Error (something about "can't find object), in other case a windows "Message properties", where field "Email type" was set to "EX" (instead of "SMTP")

SO! The solution is - to change recipient properties and set EMAIL TYPE to SMTP, and EMAIL ADDRESS to something like "(E-Mail Removed)" and do not use auto-substitution of recipient, or DELETE cache record in pop-down list by pressing UP, DOWN and DELETE button on keyboard and then typing email again...

In my situation it helped 100%!

Last edited by darkgin; 8th Apr 2008 at 02:12 PM..

New Member

      3rd Dec 2008
I believe my situation is the same as this thread, except that there are no unsent items in my Outbox, so I cannot edit them. The problem appears to be that I opened an old PST file with emails in it from when I was on an Exchange Server, rather than POP3. The original messages were authored by me as an Exchange user. I believe I tried to forward them (or maybe I had taken an old Outlook Calendar item and modified it, which had recipients included in the appointment), and then sent off an email to others. Anyway, the combination would have been that either Outlook is thinking that my new POP3 account is actually the old Exchange account, and/or the recipients on the email thread had Exchange addresses. Anyway, I get the same error code, but cannot get into the items it is trying to send.

New Member

      5th Oct 2010
I know this is an old thread but here is a bump / solution that worked for me
To fix this problem, there are two ways around this. The easiest way is this:

  • Start typing in the address that shows up incorrectly.
  • Hit the Down arrow key to select the auto completed address.
  • Hit the Delete key to delete the auto complete address
The other way is by opening the profile folder and deleting the .nk2 file.

  • Open up windows explorer, and paste the following into the address bar: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook
  • Delete the Outlook.NK2 file that you find in this folder.
delete all NK2 files

New Member

      23rd Oct 2012
Bingo! This fixed it for me. The user was originally using Outlook over RPC (he was not on the same office as the exchange server), but their internet connection was too slow to support this. Our work around was to set up the user using POP3/SMTP.

Then this issue popped up where they get the fore mentioned error whenever they try to email someone within their organization.

It turns out it was the autocomplete email addresses that were stored on the profile were trying to send emails internally through the exchange server, which wouldn't work because they are now set up with standard SMTP. The autocomplete entries themselves are labeled with only the email address of the recipient, so it doesn't seem like it should be a problem at all.

I had the user delete the offending entries and type in the email addresses manually and voila!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandb View Post