Get Windows User

Dimitris Nikolakakis

      23rd Nov 2007
I would like to keep in each record of table in access project the Windows
User and Compauter Name that has created the record or modified the record.
I will write the code in form properties on an event.

Thanks in advance

Dimitris Nikolakakis

Tom van Stiphout

      23rd Nov 2007
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:00:13 +0200, "Dimitris Nikolakakis"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Both items are listed here:
http://www.mvps.org/access/api/index.html

-Tom.

>I would like to keep in each record of table in access project the Windows
>User and Compauter Name that has created the record or modified the record.
>I will write the code in form properties on an event.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Dimitris Nikolakakis

Sylvain Lafontaine

      23rd Nov 2007
On SQL-Server, you can also use the function SUSER_SNAME; see:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ms174427.aspx

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

"Tom van Stiphout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:00:13 +0200, "Dimitris Nikolakakis"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Both items are listed here:
> http://www.mvps.org/access/api/index.html
>
> -Tom.
>

>>I would like to keep in each record of table in access project the Windows
>>User and Compauter Name that has created the record or modified the
>>record.
>>I will write the code in form properties on an event.
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>
>>Dimitris Nikolakakis

jordan king

      23rd Nov 2007
If you want an easy way to access some system variables on the workstation
look at the Environ varaibles avialable to access.

COMPUTERNAME
USERNAME
USERDOMAIN
etc...

I personally capture this data once the project is opened, into hidden
values on a main switchboard, then refrence these when passing parameters to
sql server procedures.
"Dimitris Nikolakakis" wrote:

> I would like to keep in each record of table in access project the Windows
> User and Compauter Name that has created the record or modified the record.
> I will write the code in form properties on an event.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dimitris Nikolakakis

Douglas J. Steele

      23rd Nov 2007
I always cringe when people suggest using an environment variable for this
purpose, given how easy it is to reset an environment variable.

All that's necessary is to open a DOS box, use the SET command to set the
USERNAME variable to whatever you want, then open Access using a command
line in that same DOS box. While the USERNAME isn't actually reset, it is
for the duration of that DOS box, so Access will see whatever the user tells
it to see.

Far safer, in my opinion, is to use the GetUserName API call. See
http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0008.htm at "The Access Web" for a
complete sample.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP