How to get rid of the warning message

RJ

      18th Mar 2009
When I go to my company Web site to download and open an Excel file in the
past using Excel 2003 and Internet Explorer, I was only asked if I want to
save or open the file. If I choose to open the file, the file will be opened
fine. Now that I am using Excel 2007, after selecting to open an Excel file
(.xls), I also got an error message saying "The file you are trying open,
"download.asp", is in a differen format than specified by the file extension.
Verifyt that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before
opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?" The "download.asp" file
is the ASP file used to fetch the Excel file, so I don't understand why this
is happening. I am assuming that Excel 2007 generates this warning message
and I would like to get around this problem. I don't want my customers to be
annoyed by this message. Besides, it seems that clicking "Yes" or "No" will
open the file anyway. Can anyone help?

daniel

      27th Mar 2009
problem is the file entension. change to xls or xlsm

"RJ" wrote:

> When I go to my company Web site to download and open an Excel file in the
> past using Excel 2003 and Internet Explorer, I was only asked if I want to
> save or open the file. If I choose to open the file, the file will be opened
> fine. Now that I am using Excel 2007, after selecting to open an Excel file
> (.xls), I also got an error message saying "The file you are trying open,
> "download.asp", is in a differen format than specified by the file extension.
> Verifyt that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before
> opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?" The "download.asp" file
> is the ASP file used to fetch the Excel file, so I don't understand why this
> is happening. I am assuming that Excel 2007 generates this warning message
> and I would like to get around this problem. I don't want my customers to be
> annoyed by this message. Besides, it seems that clicking "Yes" or "No" will
> open the file anyway. Can anyone help?

RJ

      27th Mar 2009
The files for download are Excel 2003 files (.xls), so I can't just change
the extension to .xlsm. A lot of our customers are still using Excel 2003.

I did try it on my test system to see what happened and the warning message
was still displayed. Additonally, I also got an error saying that the file
extension was wrong.

I did see some information regarding editing the Registry to prevent the
warning message from being displayed, but that would basically disable this
function. I can't really recommend this to all my customers, so I want to
know if there is anything else that I can do on the server.