How to Get Rid of Vertical Bar at Left Side of Form

GeyikBaba

      7th Dec 2006
In Access 2003, I am seeing something I have never seen before.

In a new form, at the left margin, opposite from the vertical scroll bar, is
a vertical bar the height of the page with an arrow at the top pointing to
the right. It looks like a tall, narrow button, but I don't know what it
does.

Does anyone know what this bar/button is and how I can remove it? I cannot
figure out what it does, and I cannot figure out what it is tied to in the
form's property listing.

Many thanks
Mike Thomas

ruralguy via AccessMonster.com

      7th Dec 2006
It sounds like the RecordSelectors on the Format tab.

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

Allen Browne

      7th Dec 2006
I think RuralGuy has understood your question correctly, and explained how
to set the property of the form so the Record Selector is not shown.

Before you do that though, it does have a couple of purposes:

a) You can click the Record Selector to select the whole record. (Same as
Edit | Select Record). You can then operate on the entire record (e.g. press
the Del key to delete the record, where it would merely delete the contents
of the control if you did not have the record selected.)

b) The icon in the Record Selector indicates the state of the record.
Normally it is a right-pointing triangle. If you are entering/editing, it
changes to a pencil. Once the entry is saved, it changes back to the
triangle. In some cases, the icon changes to a no-go symbol, indicating a
locking problems. It can be useful to know if the record is dirty or locked.

"ruralguy via AccessMonster.com" <u12102@uwe> wrote in message
> It sounds like the RecordSelectors on the Format tab.
>
> GeyikBaba wrote:
>>In Access 2003, I am seeing something I have never seen before.
>>
>>In a new form, at the left margin, opposite from the vertical scroll bar,
>>is
>>a vertical bar the height of the page with an arrow at the top pointing to
>>the right. It looks like a tall, narrow button, but I don't know what it
>>does.
>>
>>Does anyone know what this bar/button is and how I can remove it? I
>>cannot
>>figure out what it does, and I cannot figure out what it is tied to in the
>>form's property listing.
>>
>>Many thanks
>>Mike Thomas

> --
> HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
> Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

David W. Fenton

      7th Dec 2006
"Allen Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:e$(E-Mail Removed):

> b) The icon in the Record Selector indicates the state of the
> record. Normally it is a right-pointing triangle. If you are
> entering/editing, it changes to a pencil. Once the entry is saved,
> it changes back to the triangle. In some cases, the icon changes
> to a no-go symbol, indicating a locking problems. It can be useful
> to know if the record is dirty or locked.

Clicking the record selector of a dirty record also saves it.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/