Get rid of formatting symbols - How?

Joe727

      4th Aug 2009
Hi - I don't know what I inadvertently clicked, but every Word 2007 document
I open has formatting symbols prominently displayed.

Here's a screenshot of the paragraph symbol next to the cursor on a blank
document.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmsbink...Screenshot.jpg

When I open Word files that I previously created, they are plastered with
all kinds of similar symbols.

Question: I do I turn this feature off so that I don't see these symbols on
all of my Word documents?

Thanks

Joe

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

      4th Aug 2009
Click on the Show/Hide button () in the Home tab of the Ribbon. It has an
orange background in your screen shot which shows that it is active.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Joe727" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi - I don't know what I inadvertently clicked, but every Word 2007
> document I open has formatting symbols prominently displayed.
>
> Here's a screenshot of the paragraph symbol next to the cursor on a blank
> document.
>
> http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmsbink...Screenshot.jpg
>
> When I open Word files that I previously created, they are plastered with
> all kinds of similar symbols.
>
> Question: I do I turn this feature off so that I don't see these symbols
> on all of my Word documents?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe

Joe727

      4th Aug 2009
Thanks Doug - I've been using Word since Word '97 and I've never had a use
for that particular function. Now I know what I inadvertantly clicked.
BTW - I still love the Word 2007 ribbon.

Joe

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Click on the Show/Hide button () in the Home tab of the Ribbon. It has
> an orange background in your screen shot which shows that it is active.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "Joe727" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi - I don't know what I inadvertently clicked, but every Word 2007
>> document I open has formatting symbols prominently displayed.
>>
>> Here's a screenshot of the paragraph symbol next to the cursor on a blank
>> document.
>>
>> http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmsbink...Screenshot.jpg
>>
>> When I open Word files that I previously created, they are plastered with
>> all kinds of similar symbols.
>>
>> Question: I do I turn this feature off so that I don't see these symbols
>> on all of my Word documents?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Joe

Stefan Blom

      4th Aug 2009
For more on nonprinting marks, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joe727" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Doug - I've been using Word since Word '97 and I've never had a use
> for that particular function. Now I know what I inadvertantly clicked.
> BTW - I still love the Word 2007 ribbon.
>
> Joe
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Click on the Show/Hide button () in the Home tab of the Ribbon. It has
>> an orange background in your screen shot which shows that it is active.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "Joe727" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi - I don't know what I inadvertently clicked, but every Word 2007
>>> document I open has formatting symbols prominently displayed.
>>>
>>> Here's a screenshot of the paragraph symbol next to the cursor on a
>>> blank document.
>>>
>>> http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmsbink...Screenshot.jpg
>>>
>>> When I open Word files that I previously created, they are plastered
>>> with all kinds of similar symbols.
>>>
>>> Question: I do I turn this feature off so that I don't see these
>>> symbols on all of my Word documents?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Joe

Joe727