How to get printer IP address via command line?

JJ

      12th Apr 2011
Hello:

Another question for you printer experts out there! ;-)

We have several networked printers on the system and I'm trying to find a
way to get their IP addresses via a command (DOS) line command. Like Ping
for example. I was told that should work and it does if I ping the actual
IP address. But if I ping the printer's "name" in the system, it doesn't
work.

I get the following message (PR34 is the printer's name):

"Ping reqeust could not find host PR34. Please check the name and try
again."

I need a way to get the IP address from the "name" of the printer if that's
even possible. I know someone who can do this with their printer on their
network, but not sure why it's not working on ours.

Thx in advance, JJ

me

      12th Apr 2011
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:43:28 -0400, "JJ"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello:
>
>Another question for you printer experts out there! ;-)
>
>We have several networked printers on the system and I'm trying to find a
>way to get their IP addresses via a command (DOS) line command. Like Ping
>for example. I was told that should work and it does if I ping the actual
>IP address. But if I ping the printer's "name" in the system, it doesn't
>work.
>
>I get the following message (PR34 is the printer's name):
>
>"Ping reqeust could not find host PR34. Please check the name and try
>again."
>
>I need a way to get the IP address from the "name" of the printer if that's
>even possible. I know someone who can do this with their printer on their
>network, but not sure why it's not working on ours.
>
>Thx in advance, JJ

nslookup printername

include the whole domain name if not set as the default on your
system.

JJ

      12th Apr 2011
"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> nslookup printername
>
> include the whole domain name if not set as the default on your
> system.

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I tried that command. It does return
an IP but not the right one. When I then take that IP and enter into a
browser, it doesn't connect to the printer. When I look at Control Panel,
Printers..., select the printer, look at Properties, Port, Config Port...the
IP address there is different.

Why would that be do you know? That IP address *will* work in a browser,
bringing up the printer's browser based command screen. That's what I'm
trying to get at, *that* IP address...

Odd. Thx, JJ

Bob Eager

      12th Apr 2011
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:30:43 -0400, me wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:43:28 -0400, "JJ"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hello:
>>
>>Another question for you printer experts out there! ;-)
>>
>>We have several networked printers on the system and I'm trying to find
>>a way to get their IP addresses via a command (DOS) line command. Like
>>Ping for example. I was told that should work and it does if I ping the
>>actual IP address. But if I ping the printer's "name" in the system, it
>>doesn't work.
>>
>>I get the following message (PR34 is the printer's name):
>>
>>"Ping reqeust could not find host PR34. Please check the name and try
>>again."
>>
>>I need a way to get the IP address from the "name" of the printer if
>>that's even possible. I know someone who can do this with their printer
>>on their network, but not sure why it's not working on ours.
>>
>>Thx in advance, JJ

> nslookup printername
>
> include the whole domain name if not set as the default on your system.

I suspect the printers haven't been put into DNS at all.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

me

      12th Apr 2011
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 16:01:00 -0400, "JJ"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> nslookup printername
>>
>> include the whole domain name if not set as the default on your
>> system.

>Thanks, I should have mentioned that I tried that command. It does return
>an IP but not the right one. When I then take that IP and enter into a
>browser, it doesn't connect to the printer. When I look at Control Panel,
>Printers..., select the printer, look at Properties, Port, Config Port...the
>IP address there is different.
>
>Why would that be do you know? That IP address *will* work in a browser,
>bringing up the printer's browser based command screen. That's what I'm
>trying to get at, *that* IP address...
>
>Odd. Thx, JJ

I would think this points to DNS/host table issues since nslookup is
going to get it's info from here. If the name has the incorrect IP
address associated with it then that's a real problem. What method is
used to assign IP addresses on your network?

I'm quickly coming to the limits of my knowledge here.

me

      12th Apr 2011
On 12 Apr 2011 20:02:07 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I suspect the printers haven't been put into DNS at all.

Look at the reply to my suggestion. nslookup gets an IP address that
appears to be different from the one the PC has for the port connected
to this printer. Something is not right in Denmark?

Bob Eager

      12th Apr 2011
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:44:04 -0400, me wrote:

> On 12 Apr 2011 20:02:07 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I suspect the printers haven't been put into DNS at all.

> Look at the reply to my suggestion. nslookup gets an IP address that
> appears to be different from the one the PC has for the port connected
> to this printer. Something is not right in Denmark?

You wonder if the network has a series of computers with names and IPs in
DNS. And each printer attached to a computer has been given the (Windows
network) name of that computer, which is in a different namespace and
doesn't have a domain part.

It would be interesting to do a reverse lookup on that IP address (the
real one) to see if it has any kind of name associated with it.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

JJ

      13th Apr 2011
"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I would think this points to DNS/host table issues since nslookup is
> going to get it's info from here. If the name has the incorrect IP
> address associated with it then that's a real problem. What method is
> used to assign IP addresses on your network?
>
> I'm quickly coming to the limits of my knowledge here.

Well, you are w-a-y beyond my limited knowledge here! :-) The printer
works fine and is accessible from many systems...I don't know how the IP was
assigned. I'll have to ask the network folks. They, so far, have also been
unable to help me do this...but it what it is. Thx again! JJ

JJ

      13th Apr 2011
"Bob Eager" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:44:04 -0400, me wrote:
>
>> On 12 Apr 2011 20:02:07 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>I suspect the printers haven't been put into DNS at all.

>> Look at the reply to my suggestion. nslookup gets an IP address that
>> appears to be different from the one the PC has for the port connected
>> to this printer. Something is not right in Denmark?

> You wonder if the network has a series of computers with names and IPs in
> DNS. And each printer attached to a computer has been given the (Windows
> network) name of that computer, which is in a different namespace and
> doesn't have a domain part.
>
> It would be interesting to do a reverse lookup on that IP address (the
> real one) to see if it has any kind of name associated with it.

I'm not sure how to do this...and I'm confused now! Very easy to to for me
with this network stuff! ;-) It's odd for sure. I appreciate the input
from everyone. JJ

Fred McKenzie

      14th Apr 2011
In article <io1vfg$d2i$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"JJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> We have several networked printers on the system and I'm trying to find a
> way to get their IP addresses via a command (DOS) line command. Like Ping
> for example. I was told that should work and it does if I ping the actual
> IP address. But if I ping the printer's "name" in the system, it doesn't
> work.

JJ-

Some installations use printer servers. Your computer sends a print job
to the server, where it is placed in the print queue. The server sends
each print job in the queue on to the printer, one at a time in the
order they were received.

When you attempt to find the printer's IP address, you may actually be
getting the IP address of the server. If that is the case, one way you
can find the IP address of a printer is from the printer's control panel
as has been suggested. Otherwise, you would need to access the server's
setup program to see the IP address where each printer name is routed.
Unless you are the boss, the people who manage your network may not let
you do that!

Some printers have a built-in server. An example is the HP JetDirect
server built into the printer's network interface card. For those that
do not, you could screw something up if you tried printing directly to
the printer's IP address when someone else was printing via the server.

Fred