PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

How to get local news server to carry news groups

 
 
cleako
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jun 2005
Anyone know how to get my new news server to carry all of these
windowsxp newsgroups? I had just started to really read them when I
moved and who would have thought - but the new ISPís news server does
not keep the windowsxp newsgroups so I have just now found my
newsgroups again. Please help me out.

Thanks,
Locke

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---...ict543127.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1712966
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jun 2005
Cleako

Read through this.. it will tell you how to access the Microsoft News
server..

http://www.microsoft.com/communities.../nntpnews.mspx

It gets over the problem of trying to find relevant newsgroups on a local
ISP server..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm





"cleako" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know how to get my new news server to carry all of these
> windowsxp newsgroups? I had just started to really read them when I
> moved and who would have thought - but the new ISP's news server does
> not keep the windowsxp newsgroups so I have just now found my
> newsgroups again. Please help me out.
>
> Thanks,
> Locke
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---...ict543127.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1712966



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Leythos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jun 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Cleako
>
> Read through this.. it will tell you how to access the Microsoft News
> server..
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities.../nntpnews.mspx
>
> It gets over the problem of trying to find relevant newsgroups on a local
> ISP server..


Nice, it says the same then I posted from the other reference:

Once you have Outlook Express or another NNTP news reader installed on
your computer, you=3Fre just one step away from being able to access our
newsgroups. The remaining step comes when you click on a link to a
newsgroup. At that point-if you haven=3Ft done so previously-you=3Fll be
asked to provide configuration information. When prompted for News
Server, specify msnews.microsoft.com.

I only posted it because someone asked about it and I was screwing
around and didn't remember which group - since we were talking about
Usenet vs web in a couple groups I thought it might be worth explaining
to lesser experienced people.

--
--
(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me
 
Reply With Quote
 
frodo@theshire.org
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jun 2005
How about asking your ISP to carry them? Most should accomodate your
request, since they are not "objectionable" groups (to most!), nor
particularly large.

or log into MS's free news server, as already suggested.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Server Local Groups to AD Domain Local Groups =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= Microsoft Windows 2000 Active Directory 1 2nd May 2005 06:51 PM
Restricted Groups: "Member of" and add Domain Groups to local Groups Hansi Microsoft Windows 2000 Group Policy 1 5th Mar 2005 04:24 AM
FREE access to servers which carry your missing groups and articles - NewsHunter 4 freeware - groups.yahoo.com/group/Nh4 SeaEagle Microsoft Windows 2000 Multimedia 0 13th Sep 2003 03:04 PM
FREE access to servers which carry your missing groups and articles - NewsHunter 4 freeware - groups.yahoo.com/group/Nh4 SeaEagle Microsoft Windows 2000 Multimedia 0 2nd Sep 2003 11:30 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:04 AM.