Genuine Advantage Tool - "version unsupported" error

Alex Hunsley

      21st Nov 2005
I'm trying to download the microsoft SyncToy. The MS site insists on me
validating my (legal) copy of windows, but when I run the genuine
advantage program you get from their site I get the following dialog:

"This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no
longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
your system clock is accurate"

Given that I'm running the current version, straight from the microsoft
site, I somehow doubt I have an old version. And my system clock is A-ok.
Any ideas anyone?

thanks
alex

Alias

      21st Nov 2005
Alex Hunsley wrote:

> I'm trying to download the microsoft SyncToy. The MS site insists on me
> validating my (legal) copy of windows, but when I run the genuine
> advantage program you get from their site I get the following dialog:
>
> "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no
> longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
> your system clock is accurate"
>
> Given that I'm running the current version, straight from the microsoft
> site, I somehow doubt I have an old version. And my system clock is A-ok.
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> thanks
> alex

Try going to Windows Update and downloading WGA there.

Alias

Will Denny

      21st Nov 2005
Hi Alex

I can't see why you are getting that error message.

Go into the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows
Genuine Advantage\data folder, right click on the 'data.dat' file select
Properties and then the Security tab. Is your account listed under 'Group
or user names'? If so have you got the appropriate 'Permissions for
Administrators?

Also, if you have downloaded the GenuineCheck.exe file, what version is it?

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Alex Hunsley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to download the microsoft SyncToy. The MS site insists on me
> validating my (legal) copy of windows, but when I run the genuine
> advantage program you get from their site I get the following dialog:
>
> "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no
> longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that your
> system clock is accurate"
>
> Given that I'm running the current version, straight from the microsoft
> site, I somehow doubt I have an old version. And my system clock is A-ok.
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> thanks
> alex

Alex Hunsley

      21st Nov 2005
Alias wrote:
> Alex Hunsley wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to download the microsoft SyncToy. The MS site insists on
>> me validating my (legal) copy of windows, but when I run the genuine
>> advantage program you get from their site I get the following dialog:
>>
>> "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no
>> longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
>> your system clock is accurate"
>>
>> Given that I'm running the current version, straight from the
>> microsoft site, I somehow doubt I have an old version. And my system
>> clock is A-ok.
>> Any ideas anyone?
>>
>> thanks
>> alex
>>

> Try going to Windows Update and downloading WGA there.
>
> Alias

Thanks, the version there seems to be an activeX control rather than a
download, and it worked...

cheers
alex

Alias

      21st Nov 2005
Alex Hunsley wrote:

> Alias wrote:
>
>> Alex Hunsley wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to download the microsoft SyncToy. The MS site insists on
>>> me validating my (legal) copy of windows, but when I run the genuine
>>> advantage program you get from their site I get the following dialog:
>>>
>>> "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no
>>> longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
>>> your system clock is accurate"
>>>
>>> Given that I'm running the current version, straight from the
>>> microsoft site, I somehow doubt I have an old version. And my system
>>> clock is A-ok.
>>> Any ideas anyone?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> alex
>>>

>> Try going to Windows Update and downloading WGA there.
>>
>> Alias

> Thanks, the version there seems to be an activeX control rather than a
> download, and it worked...
>
> cheers
> alex

You're welcome. Glad I could be of some help.

Alias

The Outsider

      21st Nov 2005
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:42:20 -0000, "Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi Alex
>
>I can't see why you are getting that error message.
>
>Go into the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows
>Genuine Advantage\data folder, right click on the 'data.dat' file select
>Properties and then the Security tab. Is your account listed under 'Group
>or user names'? If so have you got the appropriate 'Permissions for
>Administrators?
>
>Also, if you have downloaded the GenuineCheck.exe file, what version is it?

Because XP is effed up with it's annoying authentication BS, that's
why. I uninstalled my ATI drivers using ATI's CAT uninstaller the
orther day, which I have done many times, and after the reboot XP
informs me that there have been significant hardware changes and I had
three days to activate. That's twice now that XP has done that to me
for no good reason. The last time was when all I did was install
Winamp. As I said, XP is effed up and I hope Vista isn't more of the
same silliness.

Will Denny

      21st Nov 2005
"The Outsider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:42:20 -0000, "Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi Alex
>>
>>I can't see why you are getting that error message.
>>
>>Go into the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows
>>Genuine Advantage\data folder, right click on the 'data.dat' file select
>>Properties and then the Security tab. Is your account listed under 'Group
>>or user names'? If so have you got the appropriate 'Permissions for
>>Administrators?
>>
>>Also, if you have downloaded the GenuineCheck.exe file, what version is
>>it?

> Because XP is effed up with it's annoying authentication BS, that's
> why. I uninstalled my ATI drivers using ATI's CAT uninstaller the
> orther day, which I have done many times, and after the reboot XP
> informs me that there have been significant hardware changes and I had
> three days to activate. That's twice now that XP has done that to me
> for no good reason. The last time was when all I did was install
> Winamp. As I said, XP is effed up and I hope Vista isn't more of the
> same silliness.

Hi

A re-activation shouldn't occur when drivers are uninstalled - and I can't
understand why the 'hardware has been significantly changed' message showed
up. Winamp is only software, so shouldn't have any effect on hardware. Is
there anything in the Event Viewer that may explain the problem?

--

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi Alex
>
> I can't see why you are getting that error message.
>
> Go into the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows
> Genuine Advantage\data folder, right click on the 'data.dat' file select
> Properties and then the Security tab. Is your account listed under 'Group
> or user names'?

Yup. I am logged on as 'alex' into our domain, and in the list you
mention it says "alex@domainname", where domainname = our domain name.

> If so have you got the appropriate 'Permissions for
> Administrators?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "permissions for administrators", but
when I click alex@domainname, in the permissions box below it shows full
permissions as ticked (enabled).

> Also, if you have downloaded the GenuineCheck.exe file, what version is it?

The exe reports version 1.4.389.0 in the properties tab. This is the one
I downloaded just today.

thanks
alex

Jon

      21st Nov 2005
The problem also strangely disappears if you write your own version of
LegitCheckControl.dll :-)

Jon