A general question about editing current list via UserForm

excelnut1954

      24th Jan 2006
I wished I could do this in Access, but I'm the only one in the dept
who has it. And, what I'm designing will be used by others. So, I have
to try to do this within Excel.

The user will flip through a report at the end of the day. He will
enter PO numbers on a UserForm that will cause the line with that PO#
to be moved to another sheet. I think I can get this part done (albeit
with crude coding). While flipping through the report, the user might
also need to edit existing lines. In my dreamworld, I would like to
have a different TextBox in that UserForm where the user can enter a
PO#, then click a button next to it that will let the user edit any of
the cells in that line the PO is in.

When that button to edit is clicked, I would like for any of the
TextBoxes already filled in on the original UserForm to be applied to
their appropriate destinations. Then another UserForm comes up, with
all the fields populated with the data on that PO line just requested.
Something tells me this is either not doable, or else will require some
rapid expansion of knowledge on my part.

Once the editing is completed, the 1st UserForm comes back for more
entries of lines to move, or edit. Again, the easy part.

Before I decide how much time I will spend on this part of my overall
project right now, I would like anyone to please let me know 1st of all
if any of my hopeful assumptions above are out of the question. Can I
have a UserForm come up where the fields will be populated with a
current record based on the user's selection?

If not, maybe you can give me an idea of key terminology I need to
understand before trying to get this done in another way. Just trying
to get a feel for how much time I will need to devote to this.

It may be alot of info I'm asking for. But, if anyone cares to chime
in, I would appreciate it.
Thanks
J.O.

Tom Ogilvy

      24th Jan 2006
It should be very doable.

XL97: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data

XL2000: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data

See this tutorial here
http://www.dicks-blog.com/excel/2004...g_userfor.html

How to use Visual Basic for Applications examples to control UserForms in
Microsoft Excel

XL97: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data (Q161514)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=161514

XL2000: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data (Q213749)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213749

Here are some other sources of information:

http://www.microsoft.com/ExcelDev/Articles/sxs11pt1.htm
Lesson 11: Creating a Custom Form
Excerpted from Microsoft® Excel 97 Visual Basic® Step by Step.

How to use Visual Basic for Applications examples to control UserForms in
Microsoft Excel

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=168067
File Title: Microsoft(R) Visual Basic(R) for Applications Examples for
Controlling UserForms in Microsoft Excel 97
File Name: WE1163.EXE
File Size: 161742 bytes
File Date: 05/08/97
UserForms in Microsoft Excel 97. It includes examples and Microsoft Visual
Basic for Applications macros that show you how to take advantage of the
capabilities of UserForms and use each of the ActiveX controls that are
available for UserForms

Peter Aiken Articles:
Part I
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en.../Introductiont...
Part II
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en.../Introductiont...

http://www.bmsltd.ie/Excel/Default.htm
http://maths.sci.shu.ac.uk/units/ioa/ <- Excel VBA tutorial

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q168067

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"JulieD" <Jul...@

"excelnut1954" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wished I could do this in Access, but I'm the only one in the dept
> who has it. And, what I'm designing will be used by others. So, I have
> to try to do this within Excel.
>
> The user will flip through a report at the end of the day. He will
> enter PO numbers on a UserForm that will cause the line with that PO#
> to be moved to another sheet. I think I can get this part done (albeit
> with crude coding). While flipping through the report, the user might
> also need to edit existing lines. In my dreamworld, I would like to
> have a different TextBox in that UserForm where the user can enter a
> PO#, then click a button next to it that will let the user edit any of
> the cells in that line the PO is in.
>
> When that button to edit is clicked, I would like for any of the
> TextBoxes already filled in on the original UserForm to be applied to
> their appropriate destinations. Then another UserForm comes up, with
> all the fields populated with the data on that PO line just requested.
> Something tells me this is either not doable, or else will require some
> rapid expansion of knowledge on my part.
>
> Once the editing is completed, the 1st UserForm comes back for more
> entries of lines to move, or edit. Again, the easy part.
>
> Before I decide how much time I will spend on this part of my overall
> project right now, I would like anyone to please let me know 1st of all
> if any of my hopeful assumptions above are out of the question. Can I
> have a UserForm come up where the fields will be populated with a
> current record based on the user's selection?
>
> If not, maybe you can give me an idea of key terminology I need to
> understand before trying to get this done in another way. Just trying
> to get a feel for how much time I will need to devote to this.
>
> It may be alot of info I'm asking for. But, if anyone cares to chime
> in, I would appreciate it.
> Thanks
> J.O.

excelnut1954

      24th Jan 2006
Thanks Tom.
So, I take it I CAN bring up a UserForm, and have the fields poplulated
with a record already on the worksheet.
Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it.

J.O.

Tom Ogilvy

      24th Jan 2006
If you write the code to do it, sure. That is one of the prime functions
of userforms.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"excelnut1954" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Tom.
> So, I take it I CAN bring up a UserForm, and have the fields poplulated
> with a record already on the worksheet.
> Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it.
>
> J.O.

excelnut1954

      24th Jan 2006
Thanks. I was under the impression that the data could flow from the
userform to the sheet, not the other way around.

Thanks for the help.
J.O.

Tom Ogilvy

      24th Jan 2006
If you link cells to textboxes, it is a two way street. However, linking
doesn't appear to be appropriate here since you are using it as an interface
to both retrieve and write data to changing locations. So you just write
the code to do what is appropriate at the time.

John Walkenbach has a free addin that performs like the Form option under
the Data menu. He has enhanced the functionality.

He charges $20 to get access to the code I believe, but if you just want to
see what a userform can do in a database situation somewhat similar to what
you describe, you can download and try this out. It may even be what you
want.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"excelnut1954" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. I was under the impression that the data could flow from the
> userform to the sheet, not the other way around.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> J.O.

excelnut1954

      25th Jan 2006