GEARSecurity Service?

BadHead

      1st Feb 2005

Hi,

Simple question: What is the GEARSecurity service and is it safe to disable
it?

Thanks"!
--
BadHead
----

niknik1971

      1st Feb 2005
I think it is something to do with "Symantec Norton Internet security" and
as such I would not think about disabling it.

NIK

"BadHead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> Simple question: What is the GEARSecurity service and is it safe to
> disable it?
>
> Thanks"!
> --
> BadHead
> ----
> OS: Windows XP Professional SP2
> MOBO: Gigabyte GA7VT600 1394
> CPU: AMD3000+
> RAM: 1024MB PCI3200
> GRAPHICS: ATI Radeon 9800Pro

Vanguard

      1st Feb 2005
"BadHead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> Simple question: What is the GEARSecurity service and is it safe to
> disable it?

So how much Googling did you do to research this process? In a search
on "gearsecurity", the first article was:

http://www.2-spyware.com/entry-gearsecurity.html

I also found:

http://www.2-spyware.com/entry-gearsecurity.html

Gear makes the CD-RW burning software used by most CD burning software,
like Ghost, DriveImage, Nero, Easy CD Creator, etc. You could ask in
their forums what it is for. If you visit
http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers/index.cfm, you'll see
"gearsec" mentioned.

OShah

      2nd Feb 2005
"BadHead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> Simple question: What is the GEARSecurity service and is it safe to
> disable it?
>
> Thanks"!

Gear software (www.gearsoftware.com) is the programming library that Apple
iTunes, Nero (and some other software) uses to write to CD recorders. If you
don't mind losing CD-writing support in iTunes, then it should be safe to
disable the GearSecurity service.

If you set it to manual startup, then iTunes should be intelligent enough to
start it by itself.

oshah [shexec32]
Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Error Reporting -> Choose Programs
-> Do not report errors for these programs:

Acrobat.exe
waol.exe