What FW version to target

John

      8th Mar 2008
Hi

I am developing a database app in vs 2008 and I don't need wpf. What fw
version do I need to target?

Thanks

Regards

Tom Shelton

      8th Mar 2008
On Mar 7, 4:11*pm, "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am developing a database app in vs 2008 and I don't need wpf. What fw
> version do I need to target?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

Well, 3.0 and above has wpf, wcf, and wf - so if you don't need those
or linq then 2.0 would be fine.

--
Tom Shelton

kimiraikkonen

      8th Mar 2008
On Mar 8, 4:28*am, Tom Shelton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 4:11*pm, "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi

> > I am developing a database app in vs 2008 and I don't need wpf. What fw
> > version do I need to target?

> > Thanks

> > Regards

> Well, 3.0 and above has wpf, wcf, and wf - so if you don't need those
> or linq then 2.0 would be fine.
>
> --
> Tom Shelton

Is there any new critial classes or fixes that came with 3.0 or 3.5
that weren't included in 2.0 except the technologies you mentioned
above? (wpf,wcf,linq...)

I just wondered how much time remained for 2.0's lifetime.

Thanks

Andrej Tozon

      9th Mar 2008
Kimi,

for the latest fixes for 2.0 download the latest service pack. FX 3.0
and 3.5 are just "add-ons" to 2.0 - if you don't need the technologies
they bring along, you don't need them and can continue to target 2.0.
Also note that a lot of new language features that came with Visual
Studio 2008 and new compilers are also available to you when targeting
2.0 (those include object initializers, automatic properties, lambdas,
etc...)

Andrej

On 8 mar., 10:38, kimiraikkonen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 4:28*am, Tom Shelton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 7, 4:11*pm, "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Hi

> > > I am developing a database app in vs 2008 and I don't need wpf. What fw
> > > version do I need to target?

> > > Thanks

> > > Regards

> > Well, 3.0 and above has wpf, wcf, and wf - so if you don't need those
> > or linq then 2.0 would be fine.

> > --
> > Tom Shelton

> Is there any new critial classes or fixes that came with 3.0 or 3.5
> that weren't included in 2.0 except the technologies you mentioned
> above? (wpf,wcf,linq...)
>
> I just wondered how much time remained for 2.0's lifetime.
>
> Thanks- Skrij navedeno besedilo -
>
> - Prikaži navedeno besedilo -

kimiraikkonen

      9th Mar 2008
On Mar 9, 11:19*pm, Andrej Tozon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Kimi,
>
> for the latest fixes for 2.0 download the latest service pack. FX 3.0
> and 3.5 are just "add-ons" to 2.0 - if you don't need the technologies
> they bring along, you don't need them and can continue to target 2.0.
> Also note that a lot of new language features that came with Visual
> Studio 2008 and new compilers are also available to you when targeting
> 2.0 (those include object initializers, automatic properties, lambdas,
> etc...)
>
> Andrej
>
> On 8 mar., 10:38, kimiraikkonen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Well, 3.0 and above has wpf, wcf, and wf - so if you don't need those
> > > or linq then 2.0 would be fine.

> > > --
> > > Tom Shelton

> > Is there any new critial classes or fixes that came with 3.0 or 3.5
> > that weren't included in 2.0 except the technologies you mentioned
> > above? (wpf,wcf,linq...)

> > I just wondered how much time remained for 2.0's lifetime.

> > Thanks- Skrij navedeno besedilo -

> > - Prikaži navedeno besedilo -- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Andrej, so VS 2005 is OK for framework 2.0, not worth update to
VS 2008 "just because of" these add-ons unless you need it.

Andrej Tozon

      10th Mar 2008
Well, it is ok, but you could find Visual Studio 2008 more useful than
2005 even when not dealing with that new stuff. One example is a
dataset designer, where Visual Studio 2008 can generate much better
codebehind code than 2005 - you can part the actual dataset and
datatables in different classes and take advantage of the newly
generated TableAdapterManager class to update all tables in a dataset
at once, in one transaction. If you're developing web projects, Visual
Studio 2008 now offers Javascript intellisense and debugging, better
CSS tools, etc...

In general, Visual Studio 2008 is not just about support for FX
3.0/3.t technologies, it's also about offering better tools and
overall experience when dealing with apps for 2.0.

Andrej

On 9 mar., 22:26, kimiraikkonen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 11:19*pm, Andrej Tozon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Kimi,

> > for the latest fixes for 2.0 download the latest service pack. FX 3.0
> > and 3.5 are just "add-ons" to 2.0 - if you don't need the technologies
> > they bring along, you don't need them and can continue to target 2.0.
> > Also note that a lot of new language features that came with Visual
> > Studio 2008 and new compilers are also available to you when targeting
> > 2.0 (those include object initializers, automatic properties, lambdas,
> > etc...)

> > Andrej

> > > Is there any new critial classes or fixes that came with 3.0 or 3.5
> > > that weren't included in 2.0 except the technologies you mentioned
> > > above? (wpf,wcf,linq...)

> > > I just wondered how much time remained for 2.0's lifetime.

> > > Thanks- Skrij navedeno besedilo -

> > > - Prikaži navedeno besedilo -- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks Andrej, so VS 2005 is OK for framework 2.0, not worth update to
> VS 2008 "just because of" these add-ons unless you need it.- Skrij navedeno besedilo -
>
> - Prikaži navedeno besedilo -

Spam Catcher

      10th Mar 2008
kimiraikkonen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c9a3f660-f493-406a-
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks Andrej, so VS 2005 is OK for framework 2.0, not worth update to
> VS 2008 "just because of" these add-ons unless you need it.

You can think of VS.NET 2008 as a refined version of 2005. It worth an
upgrade if you can get your hands on 2008.

--
(E-Mail Removed) (Do not e-mail)

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

      10th Mar 2008
It really depends on what you are setting it to in the properties. I would
aim for 2.0 if you do not need WPF, LINQ, WF, WCF, etc.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA