Function address 0x78010497 caused a protection fault

LarryWest

      22nd Jan 2005
Dear all,

After performing Windows Update from Microsoft website, which included new
HP printer drivers, we can no longer print to our network printer. File ->
print option from InternetExplore and other applications will halt the
workstation and a message popup:

"Function address 0x78010497 caused a protection fault. (Exception code
0x0000005) Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed."

We have a network with: Windows 2000 server, Window 2000 workstations, HP
LaserJet 4200nt (PCL 6 & PCL 5e), HP LaserJet 4100 PCL 5e, and HP LaserJet
2300 Serries PCL 6.

All network stations were affected by this update. However, printing from
Microsoft Work and Excel does not have any problem.

Please advice me a way to overcome this problem. I am pretty fresh IT
guy.

Thanks

Larry
lamnasa @ yahoo . com

Alan Morris\(MSFT\)

      26th Jan 2005
I spoke with an HP print driver developer and the issue with this is the
new driver expects a different data
structure than the old driver. The data structure is stored in the registry
and will not be deleted until all the printers that use the driver no longer
use it and the old driver is deleted from the server. Then install the new
driver. I am sure HP will fix this but I did not get any time frame on
this.

If you have many printers on the server that use this driver, I like to
change all the drivers to an inbox that is not even closely related so you
remember the name (make sure no one is printing to the devices so shoot for
off peak time). You can only delete the driver when it is no longer in use.
I have had instances when I have to stop the spooler and kill the
explorer.exe process in order to unload the driver modules from memory. Add
the new driver and change the printers back to the updated module.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"LarryWest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:csscep$75o$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear all,
>
> After performing Windows Update from Microsoft website, which included

new
> HP printer drivers, we can no longer print to our network printer.

File ->
> print option from InternetExplore and other applications will halt the
> workstation and a message popup:
>
> "Function address 0x78010497 caused a protection fault. (Exception code
> 0x0000005) Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed."
>

> We have a network with: Windows 2000 server, Window 2000 workstations, HP
> LaserJet 4200nt (PCL 6 & PCL 5e), HP LaserJet 4100 PCL 5e, and HP

LaserJet
> 2300 Serries PCL 6.
>
> All network stations were affected by this update. However, printing from
> Microsoft Work and Excel does not have any problem.
>
> Please advice me a way to overcome this problem. I am pretty fresh IT
> guy.
>
> Thanks
>
> Larry
> lamnasa @ yahoo . com

      27th Jan 2005
Try reinstalling the printer drivers on the server.

You may need to delete the printer from the local
machines, stop and start the workstation print spooler
service, then delete the driver from the workstation
(file > server properties from the printers window).

Mark

New Member

      21st Jun 2005
I had the same problem after the Microsoft update.

I followed the instructions above but still recieved the error.
So i changed the printer driver on the HP 2300 to HP 4000 instead.

Now it runs smoothly.

Best regards !

// P

New Member

      26th Jun 2007
How did you change your printer drivers to the 4000 sounds like what I need to do to fix my problem as well. Thanks a Bunch! PlumRhonda

New Member

      29th Jun 2007
Rightclick on the printer, choose Properties, choose Advanced
There you have a box: Driver
Change the driver to the 4000 driver

//P

New Member

      3rd Jul 2007
Hello again, I Tried that and it did not work. I was told the card was bad as it did not print a second page for the configuration. So I Just got card and installed it today. The good news is it now prints the second page, but still will not print from the computer. I did note it states unable to sense net number also Status: Not configured. Any suggestions or questions. Thanks for your help. Rhonda

New Member

      3rd Jul 2007
"Unable to sense net number" has to do with Novell Netware.

Are you running Netware on the network ?

Are you running IPX on the network ?

If you're not, you should disable the IPX and Netware settings and only use TCP/IP.

Are you still getting the protection fault ?