Freeze multiple rows/columns in Excel 2007

Sean Nelson

      16th Jan 2009
I want to freeze the top three rows and left four columns of a workbook.

In Excel 2003 I could place the cursor at R4C5 and use "freeze panes" to do
this. Workbooks created in this version display with the proper rows and
columns frozen in Excel 2007.

But in Excel 2007, I can only freeze the topmost row or the leftmost column
using the "View" tab and the "Freeze Pane" drop-down button. What's worse,
when I use "Freeze Top Row", any frozen columns are UNfrozen, and vice versa.

I found a sneaky way to freeze multiple columns by hiding columns - for
example to free the left four columns I hide columns A-C, freeze column D,
then unhide columns A-C. But I still can't get both multiple rows and
columns frozen because when I free one the others unfreeze.

What the heck am I missing?

robert morris

      16th Jan 2009
Sean,

On the top Ribbon, click on Page Layout, then click on Print Titles. All
you need is there.

Bob Morris

"Sean Nelson" wrote:

> I want to freeze the top three rows and left four columns of a workbook.
>
> In Excel 2003 I could place the cursor at R4C5 and use "freeze panes" to do
> this. Workbooks created in this version display with the proper rows and
> columns frozen in Excel 2007.
>
> But in Excel 2007, I can only freeze the topmost row or the leftmost column
> using the "View" tab and the "Freeze Pane" drop-down button. What's worse,
> when I use "Freeze Top Row", any frozen columns are UNfrozen, and vice versa.
>
> I found a sneaky way to freeze multiple columns by hiding columns - for
> example to free the left four columns I hide columns A-C, freeze column D,
> then unhide columns A-C. But I still can't get both multiple rows and
> columns frozen because when I free one the others unfreeze.
>
> What the heck am I missing?

New Member

      22nd Jan 2009
The answer previously given concerns printing only. In order to freeze the pane on your screen:

To lock rows, select the row below the header row(s)
To lock columns, select the column to the right of the cells you want to freeze
To lock both rows and columns, click the cell below and to the right (just one cell).

View tab > Window group. click Freeze Panes

After you freeze panes, the Freeze Panes icon will change to Unfreeze Panes

Sean Nelson

      23rd Jan 2009
"robert morris" wrote:
> On the top Ribbon, click on Page Layout, then click on Print Titles. All
> you need is there.

That only affects printed output, not the screen window.

From another post I discovered the secret: in order to freeze multiple rows
and columns you need to select a BLOCK of cells rather than just one cell.
With a BLOCK of cells selected, the View Tab's "Freeze Panes" drop-down list
offers a "Freeze Panes" option instead of just "Freeze Top Row" and "Freeze
First Column" options.

The weird thing is that once you've discovered this and used it, the "Freeze
Panes" option seems to always be available from that point on, even if you
unfreeze the panes and select only a single cell, and even if you
stop/restart Excel. Looks like some kind of bug to me...

New Member

      24th Jul 2009
I suppose this is a feature and not a bug. If you want to freeze both the top row and the leftmost column (for instance) and you had already frozen the top row, you have to undo the frozen top row first! Otherwise, multiple freeze option does not work...
So, all you have to do is to go to view and click on unfreeze panes option to undo all frozen rows and columns. Once you do that, you may go to a single cell that is immediately underneath the top row and the left most column (or columns) that you want to freeze and go back to view freeze panes and click on freeze.
This will work like a charm!

Todd ODell

      25th Sep 2009
Seems you can select a given column or row and click the Freeze Pane. I was able to just select a cell and then the Freeze Pane as well for the two axis. Hope this helps.

Todd

SeanNelso wrote:

Freeze multiple rows/columns in Excel 2007
15-Jan-09

I want to freeze the top three rows and left four columns of a workbook

In Excel 2003 I could place the cursor at R4C5 and use "freeze panes" to do
this. Workbooks created in this version display with the proper rows and
columns frozen in Excel 2007

But in Excel 2007, I can only freeze the topmost row or the leftmost column
using the "View" tab and the "Freeze Pane" drop-down button. What's worse,
when I use "Freeze Top Row", any frozen columns are UNfrozen, and vice versa

I found a sneaky way to freeze multiple columns by hiding columns - for
example to free the left four columns I hide columns A-C, freeze column D,
then unhide columns A-C. But I still can't get both multiple rows and
columns frozen because when I free one the others unfreeze

What the heck am I missing?

WPF And The Model View View Model Pattern
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...l-view-vi.aspx

SeanNelso wrote:

[...]

Location: South Africa, KZN, PMB

      9th Mar 2011
If you want to freeze the first three rows and the first 4 row just select cells E4 and go to the view tab under the windows group select freeze panes.

David Biddulph

      6th Oct 2011
I'm surprised that you didn't find the answer when Googling for "Excel
2007" "freeze panes":
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...reeze+panes%22

As well as various third part answers, there are answers from Microsoft
including:

David Biddulph