freeware Xtree Gold Equivalent???

Paul L

      12th Oct 2005
Hi,

Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My computer
logged into Xtree gold. It was the absolute greatest program of all. Is
there an equivalent freeware application that runs on a Windows Xp
computer???

Thanks
Paul.

Kansas Boiled Beef

      12th Oct 2005
"Paul L" <(E-Mail Removed)> pondered:

> Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My computer
> logged into Xtree gold. It was the absolute greatest program of all. Is
> there an equivalent freeware application that runs on a Windows Xp

I would help if you described what it is and what it does.

KBB

mike ring

      12th Oct 2005

>> Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My
>> computer logged into Xtree gold.

> I would help if you described what it is and what it does.

A cracking DOS shell, without all the graphics, to let you navigate around,
execute progs, and manage your files.

But I would have thought any Widows Explorer equivalent does the same job,
unless Paul wants to work in DOS.

Googling gives bags of info, but doesn't seem to offer much hope; it looks
like (guess who) Symantec has been there :-(

mike

notlol

      12th Oct 2005
What about Midnight Commander, works in nearly every OS.

EFMenzel
"mike ring" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My
>>> computer logged into Xtree gold.

>> I would help if you described what it is and what it does.
>>

> A cracking DOS shell, without all the graphics, to let you navigate
> around,
> execute progs, and manage your files.
>
> But I would have thought any Widows Explorer equivalent does the same job,
> unless Paul wants to work in DOS.
>
> Googling gives bags of info, but doesn't seem to offer much hope; it looks
> like (guess who) Symantec has been there :-(
>
> mike

AAH

      12th Oct 2005
ZTreeWin clone XtreeGold at

http://www.ztree.com/html/ztreewin.htm

Sorry it is shareware.

"Paul L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:39b3f.16151$(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi,

Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My computer
logged into Xtree gold. It was the absolute greatest program of all. Is
there an equivalent freeware application that runs on a Windows Xp
computer???

Thanks
Paul.

Petersen, Vegard Krog

      12th Oct 2005
on 12.10.2005 19:39 Kansas Boiled Beef wrote:
> "Paul L" <(E-Mail Removed)> pondered:
>

>>Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My computer
>>logged into Xtree gold. It was the absolute greatest program of all. Is
>>there an equivalent freeware application that runs on a Windows Xp

> I would help if you described what it is and what it does.
>
> KBB

http://www.jeffreycjohnson.com/
http://www.xtreefanpage.org/
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/

I remember it fondly...

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

filthy-mcnasty

      12th Oct 2005
Using at least one appendage, the entity known in this space-time
continuum as "Petersen, Vegard Krog" <(E-Mail Removed)>
revealed in news:434d5acf$0$49019$(E-Mail Removed):

> http://www.jeffreycjohnson.com/
> http://www.xtreefanpage.org/
> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/
>
> I remember it fondly...

Oh yes. XTreePro (DOS) - 178K, and room for a now unbelievable number of
recovery progs (Including Norton's Utilities - Yes, all of them) on a
1.44MB floppy

Sigh

--
Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than
usual

To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @
btconnect.com

hummingbird

      12th Oct 2005
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:50:07 GMT, "Paul L" <(E-Mail Removed)>
mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

>Hi,
>
>Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My computer
>logged into Xtree gold. It was the absolute greatest program of all. Is
>there an equivalent freeware application that runs on a Windows Xp
>computer???

Ztree is 100% brilliant - I use it all day/every day.
It's like old DOS Xtree Gold on steroids with 32bit & LFN support.
I can't live without it.

BUT it does cost $29. www.ztree.com

--
smart men solve problems, wise men avoid them.

jmatt@SoftHome.net

      12th Oct 2005
EXTREME
http://go.to/filextreme
The original XTREE GOLD for DOS was IMHO the best file manager ever
written. EXTREME is a
native Windows file manager that attempts to emulate the speed and
elegance of XTREE with new
features such as long file names and protected memory support.

Mel

      13th Oct 2005
>On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:50:07 GMT, "Paul L" wrote:
>
>Hi,
>
>Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My computer
>logged into Xtree gold. It was the absolute greatest program of all. Is
>there an equivalent freeware application that runs on a Windows Xp
>computer???
>
>Thanks
>Paul.

PowerDesk: It's free, amazingly powerful, and it'll make you ignore
Windows Explorer forever. This utility offers slick features including:
dual panes that provide an easy way to copy files between folders,
built-in Zip and UnZip, and one-step functions for copying or moving
files. PowerDesk also emulates Norton Commander or Xtree Pro for
Windows. (For old DOS hounds like me, this is bliss.)

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...id,3491,00.asp