Freeware to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office?

Anonymous

      20th Jan 2006
Hi Everyone,

I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any other
freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is there a
freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do that?

I'm doing a website for a .org client and I would LOVE to dump my legal
and registered version of MS Office in favor of avant-garde freeware of
some kind---but my client uses Publisher to create their monthly
newsletter. They need me to convert that newsletter into a webpage and
post it on their site. The only reason I'm still using MS Office is
because of Publisher.

Does anyone know of ANY freeware editor-program that will open and edit
(and save as a webpage) MS Publisher files?

Thanks!

Craig

      20th Jan 2006
Anonymous wrote:
> Hi Everyone,

> Does anyone know of ANY freeware editor-program that will open and edit
> (and save as a webpage) MS Publisher files?
>
> Thanks!

Hi;

Two of the open-source/freeware product that I use for this kind of work
are openoffice.org and nvu.com. Open office can save & edit basic html
files, Nvu can do more advanced html/xhtml/css markup.

It appears MS Publisher saves to html so, in theory, you'll have no
problem. <ahem>

hth,
Craig

From MS' website:

> Microsoft Publisher can open and save to the file formats listed below.
>

> You can save your publications in any of the file formats listed below. Some file formats cannot support the graphics and layout in your publication, and the appearance of your publication may change after you save it to a new file format.
>
> * Publisher 98 and Publisher 2000
>
> Note Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 saves in the same file format as Publisher 2002. You do not need to select a specific file format to save a publication as a Publisher 2002 file.
> * Plain Text (files with a .txt extension)
> * Rich Text Format (files with an .rtf extension)
> * Hypertext Markup Language (files with an .html, .htm, .mhtml, or .mht extension)
> * Unicode (Unicode: A character encoding standard developed by the Unicode Consortium. By using more than one byte to represent each character, Unicode enables almost all of the written languages in the world to be represented by using a single character set.) text
> * PostScript (files with a .ps extenstion)
> * Microsoft Word 97-2002 & 6.0 /95 RTF
> * Microsoft Works 6.0 & 7.0
> * Image formats (files with a .gif, .jpeg, .tif, .png, and .bmp extension)
> * Metafile formats (files with a .wmf and .emf extension)
>
> Note If you have older versions of Microsoft Office programs installed on your computer, you may be able to open and save to additional file formats.

El Gee

      20th Jan 2006
"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any
> other freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is
> there a freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do
> that?
>
> I'm doing a website for a .org client and I would LOVE to dump my
> legal and registered version of MS Office in favor of avant-garde
> freeware of some kind---but my client uses Publisher to create their
> monthly newsletter. They need me to convert that newsletter into a
> webpage and post it on their site. The only reason I'm still using MS
> Office is because of Publisher.
>
> Does anyone know of ANY freeware editor-program that will open and
> edit (and save as a webpage) MS Publisher files?
>
> Thanks!

IIRC OO.o does not open MS Publishers default format. Nothing I have
found does so far. MS is very good at keeping things proprietary.

El Gee // www.mistergeek.com <><
Know Christ, Know Peace - No Christ, No Peace
Remove .yourhat to reply

Craig

      20th Jan 2006
El Gee wrote:

> "Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Hi Everyone,
>>
>>I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any
>>other freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is
>>there a freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do
>>that? >>

> IIRC OO.o does not open MS Publishers default format.

Publisher saves to a number of formats including ms word and html. OOo
can handle those no problem.

fwiw,
Craig

Even Afwezig

      20th Jan 2006
Op Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:01:17 GMT, Craig <(E-Mail Removed)>
schreef:

>El Gee wrote:
>
>> "Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>>Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>>I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any
>>>other freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is
>>>there a freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do
>>>that? >>

>> IIRC OO.o does not open MS Publishers default format.

>Publisher saves to a number of formats including ms word and html. OOo
>can handle those no problem.

I think the OP wants to open .pub files....
--
Even Afwezig

RGreen

      20th Jan 2006

"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I'm doing a website for a .org client and I would LOVE to dump my legal

> and registered version of MS Office in favor of avant-garde freeware of
> some kind---

This is the must RIDICOLOUS thing I'd ever read in my whole life. I would
like to dump my well working Nissan to have some avant-garde cool bicycle,
which may be worse, but, hey it's COOL, isn't it?

El Gee

      20th Jan 2006
Craig <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:N0%zf.11077$(E-Mail Removed):

> El Gee wrote:
>
>> "Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>>Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>>I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any
>>>other freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is
>>>there a freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do
>>>that? >>

>> IIRC OO.o does not open MS Publishers default format.

> Publisher saves to a number of formats including ms word and html.
> OOo can handle those no problem.
>
> fwiw,
> Craig

I think the Orig Poster wants to open .pub files, which IIRC OO.o will
not do. I understand that MS Pub will save as other formats, but if I
have .pub files only, nothing that I know of will open them except MS
Pub.

El Gee // www.mistergeek.com <><
Know Christ, Know Peace - No Christ, No Peace
Remove .yourhat to reply

granpaw

      20th Jan 2006
"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:OLadnWDHtOmE_U3eRVn-
(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any other
> freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is there a
> freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do that?
>
> I'm doing a website for a .org client and I would LOVE to dump my legal
> and registered version of MS Office in favor of avant-garde freeware of
> some kind---but my client uses Publisher to create their monthly
> newsletter. They need me to convert that newsletter into a webpage and
> post it on their site. The only reason I'm still using MS Office is
> because of Publisher.
>
> Does anyone know of ANY freeware editor-program that will open and edit
> (and save as a webpage) MS Publisher files?
>
> Thanks!

I take my old .pub files (newsletter pages) made with mspub win3.11 and
just copy all of the elements to a good html editor (eversoft) and layout
the pages like I want.

Maybe helpful, maybe not, hope so.

granpaw

New Member

      30th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Hi Everyone,

I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any other
freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is there a
freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do that?

...Does anyone know of ANY freeware editor-program that will open and edit
(and save as a webpage) MS Publisher files?

Thanks!

Check out LibreOffice 4.0.Libre Office has a new Publisher conversion add-in option.
and another option is a free file conversion site, Zamzar.