What freeware creates thumbnail photo html gallery WITH LINKS

Voivod

      6th Aug 2006
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 17:58:08 GMT, barb <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>What WinXP freeware do you use to create local HTML galleries (with easily
>clickable web links to the larger local photographs)?

ImageWalker. http://www.imagewalker.com

Monkee

      6th Aug 2006

"barb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1rf1f4odbfp2j$.1pzyxtbwssryx$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Googling, I found FreshView for Windows freeware at:
> http://www.freshdevices.com/freshview.html
>
> The download page required an email account (which is surprising for
> freeware). Having been spammed to death already, I created a new yahoo
> account but the FreshDevices web page won't accept Yahoo email (huh?).

<snip>

Have you not tried the XP powertoy I suggested earlier? Does this not do
what you want? It's incredibly easy to use, no messing around, choose
images, create html, thats it - can easily then be copied to
webspace/another manchine and continues to work fine.

Petersen, Vegard Krog

      6th Aug 2006
on 06.08.2006 07:57 barb wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:15:20 GMT, dadiOH wrote:
> IrfanView (unfortunately) failed to create the desired web page.
>
> Can someone tell me what settings to use in IrfanView thumbnail view
> such that the saved HTML file actually shows the thumbnails?

I've made several webpages with IrfanViews HTML function. It's very easy.

Just select the directory where you're files are and select another
directory as Destination folder (you don't have to make the directory
beforehand). Let the Thumbnails sub-folder and Images sub-folder be blank.

Mark the 'Copy original..', 'Create one..', 'Display links in original'
boxes.

Quick and dirty upload:
http://home.no/buffy2/heidi.html

Screenshoot IrfanView:
http://home.no/buffy2/SNAG-0000.jpg

regards from

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

optikl

      6th Aug 2006
barb wrote:

> Can anyone else vouch for this "Fresh Devices" outfit as a fitting
> replacement for the otherwise venerable IrfanView for creating a web page
> of thumbnail images linked to the originals?
>
> barb

Stay away from the Fresh Devices stuff. Some of their utilities are
quite good. But, I suspect they fund their utilities by selling names
and addresses of users.

dadiOH

      6th Aug 2006
barb wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:15:20 GMT, dadiOH wrote:
>> Thumbnail window
>> Select thumbnails
>> File
>> Save selected thumbs as HTML file
>> Link images to original files on local disc

> IrfanView (unfortunately) failed to create the desired web page.

Your fault, not its.
___________________

> Can someone tell me what settings to use in IrfanView thumbnail view
> such that the saved HTML file actually shows the thumbnails?

> 0. I started with an empty directory:
> mkdir c:\pic
> And then I put a folder of 500 original photographs there.
> c:\pic\original

Unless you specifically want them there, no purpose is served since
you can link to them where they were beforehand.
___________________

> 4. I pressed "File" & then "Save selected thumbs as HTML file".
> The options chosen were:
> Main result HTML file name: index.html
> Destination folder: c:\pic
> Thumbnails sub-folder: c:\pic\thumbs

Don't specify a folder for thumbs, let them wind up in the folder with
the HTML file.

> Thumbnail file prefix: th_
> Thumbnail flie suffix: _th

You don't really need either, certainly not both. The purpose of
either is to distinguish a thumbnail jpeg from the original and that
is superfluous if you don't move/copy the originals into the folder
where you are putting the index file.

> Images sub-folder: c:\pic\images
> Filder with HTML templates: c:\programs\viewers\irfanview\html\
> [x]Copy original images to destination folder (recommended)

Again, no need to copy the photos.

> [x]Create one HTML file for each thumbnail (HTML browsing)

Uncheck this. All you want is the one index file.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Huss

      6th Aug 2006
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, optikl
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>barb wrote:
>
>> Can anyone else vouch for this "Fresh Devices" outfit as a fitting
>> replacement for the otherwise venerable IrfanView for creating a web page
>> of thumbnail images linked to the originals?
>> barb

>Stay away from the Fresh Devices stuff. Some of their utilities are
>quite good. But, I suspect they fund their utilities by selling names
>and addresses of users.

After registering with them, a few years back, I found my spam rate
increased significantly. Obviously correlation != cause, but I found
myself remembering the experience as I looked at their page, and I
closed the window. You've just reinforced my view.
--
Huss

They come together like the Coroner's Inquest, to sit upon the murdered
reputations of the week.

William Congreve

Elisabeta

      6th Aug 2006
There is a program called ThumbaWumba that I like to use, it is here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/thumba.html

Only downside I could see was that it seems to only handle jpegs so you may
need to convert some png, gif and bmp to jpeg if you want the thumbs

I use my thumb galleries more often in web pages so I did need to do minor
editing to incorporate web site colors, text, etc., but it was less work
that writing the code from scratch...

I usually did the minor editing (removal) of any unnecessary code and used a
linked Style Sheet (CSS) that was part of the web site I wanted the gallery
for....

Hope this helps

Regards,
Elisabeta

"barb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sm8ltmw2pnuh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What WinXP freeware do you use to create local HTML galleries (with easily
> clickable web links to the larger local photographs)?
>
> This Windows photo-gallery freeware needs to do only two basic tasks:
> - Given a directory of large originals - create smaller thumbnails
> - Create a local index.html linking the thumbnails to the larger originals
>
> Here's what failed!
>
> IRFANVIEW:
> Googling, I find some advocated Irfanview. But, while Irfanview is a great
> fast photo viewer and while Irfanview easily creates thumbnails, I
> couldn't
> figure out how to force Irfanview to output a simple index.html of those
> thumbnails which points to the larger originals. http://www.irfanview.com
>
> JALBUM:
> Some suggested JAlbum in older threads, but that also failed me (YMMV).
> Apparently JAlbum requires Sun Java on WinXP. Unfortunately, the entire
> hellish Sun Java installation killed my system (the whole thing was a
> royal
> mess); so I had to delete the whole assemblage (wasting hours in that
> process). Obviously JAlbum isn't a recommended (by me anyway) alternative
> solution ever again. http://jalbum.net
>
> YoPoW:
> Newer googled threads suggested "Your Photos on the Web" as the best
> Windows photograph JPG web index.html generator. YoPoW has a nice & simple
> wizard so I had a local web page in minutes and, best of all, YoPoW gave
> you the third option of having a third set of photos linked to the
> thumbnails.
> a) Your huge originals
> b) Your 100 pixel thumbnails (settable to any desired size)
> c) And, an additional 800 pixel medium size
> I liked YoPoW, but, oh my gosh, was the index.html it created miserably
> difficult to navigate. It drove me crazy that the user interface of YoPoW
> was so absolutely easy to use but the resulting web page was torture for
> the user to navigate. http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/yopow/yopow.htm
>
> Given that this simple failed quest has now consumed a half day, I'd like
> to ask the following two questions of experts smarter than I am.
>
> QUESTION 1:
> Can Irfanview create HTML linking thumbnails to originals? If so, how?
>
> QUESTION 2:
> If not, what Windows freeware program does these three simple tasks:
> 0. Given a directory of large originals ...
> 1. It generates a directory of local thumbnails ...
> 2. And then creates a reasonably easy to navigate local index.html ...
> 3. Which points to the larger originals (or a medium sized copy).
>
> Thank you in advance for your advice,
> barb

M.L.

      6th Aug 2006
> What WinXP freeware do you use to create local HTML galleries (with
> easily clickable web links to the larger local photographs)?

I like Image Catalog (ImCat). The freeware version has an easy-to-use
Express mode and a more powerful Advanced mode (which allows
customization beyond what you are asking). Either will do what
you want. ImCat also has preset templates to make gallery creation even
easier.

download: http://www.nulidex.com/download/index.shtml

Kevin Agard

      6th Aug 2006
barb wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 01:13:35 GMT, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>>> What WinXP freeware do you use to create local HTML galleries (with
>>> easily clickable web links to the larger local photographs)?

>> I have used something called FreshView, it's free and does a decent job.

> Since Irfanview keeps writing the full path (including the "./c:") into the
> index.html IMG SRC tag, I'm going to have to give up on the otherwise
> fantastic IrfanView and find something else that works to create a simple
> web page of thumbnails pointing to the larger originals.
>
> Googling, I found FreshView for Windows freeware at:
> http://www.freshdevices.com/freshview.html
>
> The download page required an email account (which is surprising for
> freeware). Having been spammed to death already, I created a new yahoo
> account but the FreshDevices web page won't accept Yahoo email (huh?).
>
> A warning on the FreshDevices web page ominously says:
> Do not use free email accounts. Our system is not compatible with
> some ISP. You may report to your ISP about it, mostly related
> with their e-mail filtering/blocking/anti-spam settings.
>
> Hmmm... sounds like a potential spam house or spyware threat to me.
>
> Can anyone else vouch for this "Fresh Devices" outfit as a fitting
> replacement for the otherwise venerable IrfanView for creating a web page
> of thumbnail images linked to the originals?
>
> barb

Try this:

http://www.freshdevices.com/files/freshview.exe

Chris F.A. Johnson

      7th Aug 2006
On 2006-08-06, barb wrote:
> On 5 Aug 2006 13:39:01 -0700, Carputers wrote:
>>> 0. Given a directory of large originals ...
>>> 1. What generates a directory of local thumbnails ...
>>> 2. And then creates a reasonably easy to navigate local index.html ...
>>> 3. Which points to the larger originals (or a medium sized copy).

>> xnview: http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enfeatures.html

> Voila! XnView worked like a charm!
> http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enfeatures.html
>
> Having failed (as explained in great detail) to create a web page with
> thumbnails linked to the original JPEGs using the freeware IrfanView, the
> suspected spyware FreshView, the hard-to-install javaware JAlbum, and the
> hard-to-navigate YoPoW, I just now tried your suggested XnView.
>
> Here's what I did.

After reading the torturous procedure necessary to create a
thumbnail page with GUI tools, I thought I'd see how hard it would
be to do something similar with a shell script.

The script turned out to be a little over 30 lines. It's not a
production quality program, yet, but it allows me to create pages
with a simple command:

mkthumbindex *jpg *.png *.gif

A sample result is at:
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/web/examples/cbronline.jpg.shtml>

The pages are presented with this stylesheet:
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/web/examples/img.css>.

The script requires the ImageMagick commands identify and convert,
and can be seen at
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/web/examples/mkthumbindex.txt>.

> 0. I already had all my originals in c:\pic\original
> I deleted everything else so that there were no other files or
> directories in c:\pic other than the directory of 500 originals.
> 1. I started up XnView version 1.82.4 & viewed the following defaults:
> "View" "Layout" = (left frame thumbnails, right frame originals)
> "View" "Thumbnail Size" = 92 x 69 pixels

[snip]
> 20. Finally, when I double-clicked on the index.html file:
> c:\pic\web\index.html
> the thumbnails were all in the left frame and whichever thumbnail
> was selected showed the 25% shrunken original in the right pane.

Author: