Free simple database program?

Chaos Master

      5th Jun 2004
Hello people.

Is there any free and simple database program?

I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic components.
I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic stuff to do more
complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also would be a good thing.

I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web server, or
even interfacing it to programming languages.

Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which is not
quite what I want.

[]s
--
© 2004 Chaos Master | "I'm going under,
Posting from Brazil! | drowning in you

Mark Warner

      5th Jun 2004
Chaos Master wrote:
> Hello people.
>
> Is there any free and simple database program?
>
> I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic
> components. I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic
> stuff to do more complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also
> would be a good thing.
>
> I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web
> server, or even interfacing it to programming languages.
>
> Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which
> is not quite what I want.

No personal experience, but Little Lists has been highly recommended for
what you're describing:

http://www.rkwest.com/downloads.shtml

--
Mark Warner
lose .inhibitions when replying

Ben Cooper

      5th Jun 2004
Chaos Master <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello people.
>
> Is there any free and simple database program?
>
> I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic
> components. I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic
> stuff to do more complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also
> would be a good thing.
>
> I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web
> server, or even interfacing it to programming languages.
>
> Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which
> is not quite what I want.

My, my... you're just full of contradictions aren't you?
Good luck finding basic, complex query reports.

Oops, almost forgot to mention... Good Luck mastering chaos.

BTW, have you tried Open Office?
http://www.openoffice.org/

You probably haven't, seeing as you're a chaos master and all.

--
Ben Cooper
(E-Mail Removed)

JunkMonkey

      5th Jun 2004
If you are looking for a Freeware equivalent of, say, the simple flat file
database module of Microsoft Works, you are going to be somewhat
disappointed. If you are looking for a freeware equivalent of MS Access,
you are going to be REALLY disappointed.

I hate to say this, but I don't think any of the freeware database
applications are really ready for prime time (i.e. a business level
application). I don't mean to imply they don't work, they do.

In fact, they do a pretty good job of storing data reliably. But I think
they fall down on entering and retrieving data. This boils down to having a
good user interface. Making it EASY to create a report, do a simple query,
etc. And most of them are so BUTT UGLY, that they don't inspire much
confidence in me. To be fair though database programs are darned HARD to
write and even harder to debug.

I would not give any freeware database program that I know of to my wife.
She has very little tolerance for dinking around with a program, and they
all (freeware DB progs) seem to require some continuous "dinking" on the
part of the user. For a person like her, an application needs a consistent,
logical UI along with plenty of wizards and other sorts of hand-holding.
This is an area where freeware falls short. So you need to consider the
personality of the user as well.

I have made sure that she has a current copy of MS Works. (it's sort of
free, it comes with virtually every PC out there) and she is VERY productive
with it, and quite proud of the work she produces with it.

"Chaos Master" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello people.
>
> Is there any free and simple database program?
>
> I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic

components.
> I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic stuff to do more
> complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also would be a good thing.
>
> I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web

server, or
> even interfacing it to programming languages.
>
> Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which is

not
> quite what I want.
>
> []s
> --
> © 2004 Chaos Master | "I'm going under,
> Posting from Brazil! | drowning in you
> Win 98 + LiteStep | I'm falling forever,
> Slackware Linux 9.1 | I've got to break through"
> ---------------------. -- Evanescence, "Going Under"

Eric

      5th Jun 2004
Chaos Master wrote:
> Hello people.
>
> Is there any free and simple database program?
>
> I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic components.
> I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic stuff to do more
> complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also would be a good thing.
>
> I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web server, or
> even interfacing it to programming languages.
>
> Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which is not
> quite what I want.
>
> []s

I found a prog called dbworx, I'm not sure if it has all the
functionality that your looking for, but I thought I would throw it out
there for you to atleast look at. I believe that I got it from
pricelessware.org, or you could google for it.

If you don't have any luck in finding it, follow the instructions on the
bottom of my message and I will see about posting it on a page for you.

GL

Eric

--
To Reply directly delete "removethis" from email address

MightyKitten

      5th Jun 2004
Chaos Master wrote:
> Hello people.
>
> Is there any free and simple database program?
>
> I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic
> components. I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic
> stuff to do more complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also
> would be a good thing.
>
> I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web
> server, or even interfacing it to programming languages.
>
> Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which
> is not quite what I want.
>
> []s

Hmmm... since most stock applications don't require more as a single table,
I guess a good flatfile database program will do the trick.

If you don't realy care about a nice input screen then dbworkx
(http://plworx-software.com/), as Eric sugests, might do the tick with ease.

Fot that mattter, you could also take a look at commaworks at
http:/www.jansfreeware.com/
or take a look at Frank S' creations:
http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm

If you are more into an acces like solution (as in having input screens),
and your can liver with German menu's and helpfiles (it is not that complex)
I'd suggest windbf http://www.buchenwald.de/software/windbf-e.html .

there is also an Ot solution:
<OT>
Alpha Five is commercialy aviable, but in order to promote their software,
the previous version appears on misc. IT magazine CD's from time to time.
</OT>

Jeroen de Bruijn

--

http://www.it-hulp.nl/
http://fotoalbum.it-hulp.nl

John Corliss

      5th Jun 2004
Chaos Master wrote:

> Hello people.
>
> Is there any free and simple database program?
>
> I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic components.
> I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic stuff to do more
> complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also would be a good thing.
>
> I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web server, or
> even interfacing it to programming languages.
>
> Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which is not
> quite what I want.
>
> []s

You might want to look here:

http://jansfreeware.com/

Under "Software", click on "Database"

--
Regards from John Corliss
No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware,

Bob Adkins

      5th Jun 2004
On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 00:33:48 -0300, Chaos Master <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello people.
>
>Is there any free and simple database program?

No

Bob

Remove "kins" to reply by e-mail.

wrote:

>Hello people.

The coolest little database program you can buy for really cheap is Lotus
Approach. It's a real sweetheart of a program. You can occasionally find it
practically free

Yea, yea, I know it's O/T, but there's no Freeware database program.

Bob

Remove "kins" to reply by e-mail.

Ninou

      5th Jun 2004
Le Sat, 5 Jun 2004 00:33:48 -0300, Chaos Master <(E-Mail Removed)> a
écrit:

>Hello people.
>
>Is there any free and simple database program?
>
>I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic components.
>I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic stuff to do more
>complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also would be a good thing.
>
>I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web server, or
>even interfacing it to programming languages.
>
>Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which is not
>quite what I want.
>
>[]s

SmartDB V2.3
http://alainlecomte.free.fr/

IBeasy+ 1.1.1
http://nte-socio.univ-lyon2.fr/Marc_...Charger_en.htm

--
Ninou
Gratilog, le catalogue des logiciels gratuits