Free OCR software?

Milia

      29th Jan 2004
I've just purchased an older Agfa Snapscan e20 scanner which comes
with ReadIris 4.17 for W98/NT which I guess is incompatible with my
XP Home. I've checked the cost of the present version of Readiris,
but it's well beyond my small budget. Are there by any chance any
freeware OCR programs for XP around? (I've done a search but don't
seem to find any).

--
Milia

Bill Schnakenberg

      29th Jan 2004
Milia wrote:
> I've just purchased an older Agfa Snapscan e20 scanner which comes
> with ReadIris 4.17 for W98/NT which I guess is incompatible with my
> XP Home. I've checked the cost of the present version of Readiris,
> but it's well beyond my small budget. Are there by any chance any
> freeware OCR programs for XP around? (I've done a search but don't
> seem to find any).
>
> --
> Milia

SimpleOCR
http://www.simpleocr.com/

--
Bill

Brendan R. Wehrung

      29th Jan 2004
Bill Schnakenberg ((E-Mail Removed)) writes:
> Milia wrote:
>> I've just purchased an older Agfa Snapscan e20 scanner which comes
>> with ReadIris 4.17 for W98/NT which I guess is incompatible with my
>> XP Home. I've checked the cost of the present version of Readiris,
>> but it's well beyond my small budget. Are there by any chance any
>> freeware OCR programs for XP around? (I've done a search but don't
>> seem to find any).
>>
>> --
>> Milia

> SimpleOCR
> http://www.simpleocr.com/

This will run on XP Home without a lot of fussing around?

Does it conflict with Paperport Deluxe 7 or Textbridge Pro 9 on the same
computer?

Brendan

Jim Nagy

      29th Jan 2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Milia
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've just purchased an older Agfa Snapscan e20 scanner which comes
> with ReadIris 4.17 for W98/NT which I guess is incompatible with my
> XP Home. I've checked the cost of the present version of Readiris,
> but it's well beyond my small budget. Are there by any chance any
> freeware OCR programs for XP around? (I've done a search but don't
> seem to find any).
>
> --
> Milia

Too bad you're not a Mac user. I just got a free copy of Readiris Pro 7
on the cover of the January MacWorld (UK version). Not a demo - it's
complete.

--
Jim Nagy
Elm Electronics

tomcas

      29th Jan 2004

"Brendan R. Wehrung" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bv9lnv$30e$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > SimpleOCR
> > http://www.simpleocr.com/
> >

> This will run on XP Home without a lot of fussing around?
>
> Does it conflict with Paperport Deluxe 7 or Textbridge Pro 9 on the same

computer?

If you have Textbridge Pro 9 ( a pretty decent OCR program) why would you
even need simpleOCR?

> Brendan

Bill Schnakenberg

      29th Jan 2004
Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:
> Bill Schnakenberg ((E-Mail Removed)) writes:
>
>>Milia wrote:
>>
>>>I've just purchased an older Agfa Snapscan e20 scanner which comes
>>>with ReadIris 4.17 for W98/NT which I guess is incompatible with my
>>>XP Home. I've checked the cost of the present version of Readiris,
>>>but it's well beyond my small budget. Are there by any chance any
>>>freeware OCR programs for XP around? (I've done a search but don't
>>>seem to find any).
>>>
>>>--
>>>Milia

>>SimpleOCR
>>http://www.simpleocr.com/
>>

> This will run on XP Home without a lot of fussing around?

It runs on my XP Pro.

> Does it conflict with Paperport Deluxe 7 or Textbridge Pro 9 on the same
> computer?

I don't have either program, so I don't know. If I did, I wouldn't need
SimpleOCR. I need an OCR program maybe once or twice a year.

> Brendan

Bill

Bill Schnakenberg

      29th Jan 2004
Bill Schnakenberg wrote:

> Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:
>
>> Bill Schnakenberg ((E-Mail Removed)) writes:

>>> SimpleOCR
>>> http://www.simpleocr.com/
>>>

>> This will run on XP Home without a lot of fussing around?

> It runs on my XP Pro.

I don't know why I wrote XP Pro. I have XP Home.

--
Bill

Brendan R. Wehrung

      29th Jan 2004
"tomcas" ((E-Mail Removed)) writes:
> "Brendan R. Wehrung" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bv9lnv$30e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> > SimpleOCR
>> > http://www.simpleocr.com/
>> >

>> This will run on XP Home without a lot of fussing around?
>>
>> Does it conflict with Paperport Deluxe 7 or Textbridge Pro 9 on the same

> computer?
>
> If you have Textbridge Pro 9 ( a pretty decent OCR program) why would you
> even need simpleOCR?

Accuracy with less than perfect printing could be better. Maybe freeware
won't do better, but my copy of Textbridge is from when Xerox still owned
it.

Brendan0

>> Brendan
>> --

Milia

      29th Jan 2004
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:36:53 GMT, Bill Schnakenberg
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>SimpleOCR
>http://www.simpleocr.com/

Great, Bill - if all else fails, that's the one for me.

--
Milia

Milia

      29th Jan 2004
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:59:11 -0500, Jim Nagy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Too bad you're not a Mac user. I just got a free copy of Readiris Pro 7
>on the cover of the January MacWorld (UK version). Not a demo - it's
>complete.

' a cushy life for some ;-)
--
Milia