Found: Program to covert text to spoken word .mp3 / . wav files

James

      22nd Feb 2006
Just stumbled across this, which might prove of some use, especially
to the partially sighted / blind etc.

http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Softw...xtRecorder.htm

/quote

"TextRecorder is our program which reads e-text aloud. It records
either WAV or MP3 files which you can transfer to a portable player
to listen to anywhere. You can get through all your computer-based
reading, even when you are not at the computer. You can listen to
electronic books, web pages, email and other text-based documents on
your pocket MP3 player. While listening, you can commute, cook,
exercise or just relax.

TextRecorder is also for print-impaired students and the people who
help them who cannot afford high-priced access technology. If you
have a learning or visual disability, and want to quickly read lots
of e-text, TextRecorder costs nothing and will enable the computer
to read to you. If you create audio textbooks for print-impaired
students, TextRecorder can batch the process. to anywhere. You can
get through all your computer-based reading, even when you are not
at the computer. You can listen to electronic books, web pages,
email and other text-based documents on your pocket MP3"
Absolutely FREE! The TextRecorder demo doesn't cost you anything,
and unlike some shareware, it won't expire. You are free to use it
on as many computers as you like, for as long as you wish."

/endquote

Not used myself, but wanted to pass along.

HTH
--
James

George

      22nd Feb 2006
I haven't tried this program but have used other programs that use Free
Microsoft Speech engine that this program uses. I found the speech
tends to be hard to understand because voice sounds electronic. I have
read about programs that you have to purchase that claim to have a
natural speeking voice but I have not tried them.

James

      22nd Feb 2006
George leapt out of the bath and screamed "EUREKA!" before typing in
alt.comp.freeware:

> I have
> read about programs that you have to purchase that claim to have a
> natural speeking voice but I have not tried them.

There's some more free voices here too, if it helps;

http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/Spee...morefreevoices

--
James

Michel Firholz

      23rd Feb 2006
> George leapt out of the bath and screamed "EUREKA!" before typing in
> alt.comp.freeware:
>
>> I have
>> read about programs that you have to purchase that claim to have a
>> natural speeking voice but I have not tried them.

> There's some more free voices here too, if it helps;
>
> http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/Spee...morefreevoices

and does somebody now how to use these voices on e.g. Microsoft narrator?

Susan Bugher

      23rd Feb 2006
Michel Firholz wrote:
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>There's some more free voices here too, if it helps;
>>
>>http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/Spee...morefreevoices

Scroll wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down for the *free* voices (MS download
links).

or (easier) go to
http://www.datafurnace.net.au/sayzme/html/voices.html

> and does somebody now how to use these voices on e.g. Microsoft narrator?

See the above link - it has a brief explanation ("About Microsoft
Speech") that might be helpful.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware

Tomguy

      25th Feb 2006
A freeware text2speech using the SAPI and MS AGENT is Deskbot

http://www.bellcraft.com/deskbot/

It has some options for reading text, Word doc, and Excel selections, and
has an 'ok' voice sound.